Problem shifting from 53T to 39T chainring!

Holden

Guest
I have Dura Ace 10spd w/ 53/39 chainrings. My front derailleaur is
unable to get the chain off the 53 down to the 39. As the derailleaur
shifts inward it is pinching the chain against the 53 and unable to
cleanly sweep it off to the lower chainring? The chain basically gets
kinked/pinched on the 53?? I just shipped the bike and obviously
something got misaligned...derailleaur doesn't look bent but I am not
much of a mechanic.
Thanks,
HC

On 22 Feb 2005 19:24:55 -0800, "Holden" <[email protected]> may
have said:

>I have Dura Ace 10spd w/ 53/39 chainrings. My front derailleaur is
>unable to get the chain off the 53 down to the 39. As the derailleaur
>shifts inward it is pinching the chain against the 53 and unable to
>cleanly sweep it off to the lower chainring? The chain basically gets
>kinked/pinched on the 53?? I just shipped the bike and obviously
>something got misaligned...derailleaur doesn't look bent but I am not
>much of a mechanic.

If the bike's transportation was via an insured method, have the lbs
look at it for possible damage. I'd expect the problem to be fairly
trvial, though, on the order of a cable kinked or mislocated, perhaps.
I'd start by checking to see if the der cable's been knocked out of
the groove in the plastic bracket on the bottom of the frame, and then
inspect the rest of the cabling for things that might be out of place
or kinked. If that all looks kosher, then have a trained eye look at
it.

Here is a place to get some hints about how it's supposed to work:

http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html#front

Holden wrote:
> I have Dura Ace 10spd w/ 53/39 chainrings. My front derailleaur is
> unable to get the chain off the 53 down to the 39. As the derailleaur
> shifts inward it is pinching the chain against the 53 and unable to
> cleanly sweep it off to the lower chainring? The chain basically gets
> kinked/pinched on the 53?? I just shipped the bike and obviously
> something got misaligned...derailleaur doesn't look bent but I am not
> much of a mechanic.
> Thanks,
> HC

If you haven't had a STI system with a trim function, make sure that you're
pressing the downshift lever (inner lever of the brake shifter) all the way
in with two clicks instead of one.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training