Problem tuning Specialized sport SRAM 3.0 both front and back

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Theakson, Mar 26, 2003.

  1. Theakson

    Theakson Guest

    I have a Specialized sport with SRAM 3.0 gears. Right now I have gear shifting issues as follows. If
    you rotate the pedals backwards the chain leaps out of the largest front cog. Secondly the chain
    periodically jumps up on the rear cog generally the largest by this I mean that it remains on the
    largest cog BUT it's as if the top part of the chain is stopped and the bottom keeps going thus
    causing two of the links to form an "A" at the top of the rear cog. I hope that this is a good
    description as I know little about transmissions. The rear wheel seems to be aligned properly and is
    true. The only other issue is on the GRIPSHIFT where for the second gear I have to shift a little
    past 2 in order to get it into that gear.

    TIA

    Tags:

  2. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    theakson wrote:
    > I have a Specialized sport with SRAM 3.0 gears. Right now I have gear shifting issues as follows.
    > If you rotate the pedals backwards the chain leaps out of the largest front cog.

    Maybe you haven't worked this out yet, but the bike works better if you pedal forwards :)

    Seriously, pedalling backwards isn't a good idea for exactly the reasons you describe.

    Secondly the chain periodically jumps up
    > on the rear cog generally the largest by this I mean that it remains on the largest cog BUT it's
    > as if the top part of the chain is stopped and the bottom keeps going thus causing two of the
    > links to form an "A" at the top of the rear cog. I hope that this is a good description as I know
    > little about transmissions.

    Possibly a stiff link in the chain. The next time it does this, check the 'A' to see if the link
    is having trouble bending at that point, or if it's twisted. If it's stiff, bend the link back
    and forth and from side to side to loosen it. If it's twisted, twist it back with a couple of
    pairs of pliers.

    The rear wheel seems to be aligned properly and is
    > true. The only other issue is on the GRIPSHIFT where for the second gear I have to shift a little
    > past 2 in order to get it into that gear.

    It's a good idea to learn how to adjust your gears:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

  3. Theakson

    Theakson Guest

    thanks bomba the weblink helped out alot and I now am peddling forwards :)