Problem with Connex chain and link on Campag 10 speed 11 tooth cog

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Richard Sherrat, May 27, 2003.

  1. I recently changed from my "stump-pulling" cassette (13-26) to my "hero" cassette (11-23). It's
    skipping/jumping on the 11 tooth cog about once every 3 pedal revs (i.e. about once per chain rev)
    and it seems to be when the Connex link is on the cog. The last time I used this cassette I had a
    Campag chain and had no problems. I've got the correct lockring on. I've had it checked out and
    adjusted by the Campag expert at my LBS (he used to be a pro team mechanic and he loves Campag).
    We've both agreed that it looks like the link has deeper cheek plates than the rest of the chain and
    that's what's causing the problem.

    Is this a known problem? Are there any solutions that will allow me to keep a chain with a
    non-tool link?

    Regards, Richard.

    Tags:

  2. Joe Yannie

    Joe Yannie Guest

    I also had this problem, to solve it I just turned the link around. no more skip.

    "Richard Sherratt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I recently changed from my "stump-pulling" cassette (13-26) to my "hero" cassette (11-23). It's
    > skipping/jumping on the 11 tooth cog about once every 3 pedal revs (i.e. about once per chain rev)
    > and it seems to be when the Connex link is on the cog. The last time I used this cassette I had a
    > Campag chain and had no problems. I've got the correct lockring on. I've had it checked out and
    > adjusted by the Campag expert at my LBS (he used to be a pro team mechanic and he loves Campag).
    > We've both agreed that it looks like the link has deeper cheek plates than the rest of the chain
    > and that's what's causing the problem.
    >
    > Is this a known problem? Are there any solutions that will allow me to keep a chain with a
    > non-tool link?
    >
    > Regards, Richard.

  3. That fixed it. Thanks.

    When all else fails, RTFM :)

    Regards, Richard.

    On Tue, 27 May 2003 09:04:49 -0400, "Joe Yannie" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I also had this problem, to solve it I just turned the link around. no more skip.
    >
    >"Richard Sherratt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> I recently changed from my "stump-pulling" cassette (13-26) to my "hero" cassette (11-23). It's
    >> skipping/jumping on the 11 tooth cog about once every 3 pedal revs (i.e. about once per chain
    >> rev) and it seems to be when the Connex link is on the cog. The last time I used this cassette I
    >> had a Campag chain and had no problems. I've got the correct lockring on. I've had it checked out
    >> and adjusted by the Campag expert at my LBS (he used to be a pro team mechanic and he loves
    >> Campag). We've both agreed that it looks like the link has deeper cheek plates than the rest of
    >> the chain and that's what's causing the problem.
    >>
    >> Is this a known problem? Are there any solutions that will allow me to keep a chain with a
    >> non-tool link?

  4. Joe Yannie

    Joe Yannie Guest

    It says that in the manual? ha! RTFM