Problem with D/A 9-speed brake calipers

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by News.Verizon.Ne, Jun 29, 2003.

  1. I finally upgraded the bike (an Eddy Merckx) from the Dura Ace 8-speed to 9-speed component group,
    but I'm having a problem with the front brake calipers. The first 9-speed caliper set I mounted in
    the front had a bad alignment problem. One arm was toed in excessively while the opposite side was
    toed out by the same amount. I never had a problem like this with the 8-speed Dura Ace calipers that
    they replaced. The rear calipers are fine.

    I exchanged the defective calipers at the shop where I purchased them, but the new set does not
    entirely fix the problem. One side of the new front calipers is now OK but the other side is still
    toed in excessively. The fact that it is different from the first set tells me that Shimano is not
    exercising good quality control on these components. I could return them for a third set but this is
    getting ridiculous.

    The shop suggested using a brake toe-in tool to bend the calipers into alignment but I think this is
    a bad idea. The Park Tool Web site actually recommends against it, too, although they make the tool
    and they recommend it only for older type calipers (not the new dual pivot alloy ones).

    Has anyone else encountered problems like this? Any chance there is a simple fix?

    John

    Tags:

  2. john-<< The first 9-speed caliper set I mounted in the front had a bad alignment problem. One arm
    was toed in excessively while the opposite side was toed out by the same amount. >><BR><BR> << The
    shop suggested using a brake toe-in tool to bend the calipers into alignment but I think this is a
    bad idea. >><BR><BR>

    May have a fork with a not well drilled hole...Too bad shimano has waited until 2004 to have brake
    of this price have toe in adjustment...

    May ask for some Campagnolo brakes...won't have a quick release but you will be able to adjust
    the toe in.

  3. > May have a fork with a not well drilled hole...

    I did think of that, but then the same fork has been used with two previous generations of Dura Ace
    brake calipers without the problems I'm having with the new ones. Maybe I should just wait for the
    next generation with adjustable toe-in.

  4. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    > John-<< Maybe I should just wait for the next generation with adjustable toe-in. >><BR><BR>
    >

    > Or Campagnolo-adjustable toe in for lots of years.

    Tektro makes excellent replacement cartridges that have toe-in-ability, that you can use on your
    Shimano calipers.

    --
    Robin Hubert <[email protected]

  5. John Kaufmann wrote:

    > I did think of that, but then the same fork has been used with two previous generations of Dura
    > Ace brake calipers without the problems I'm having with the new ones. Maybe I should just wait for
    > the next generation with adjustable toe-in.

    The Kool Stop "Dura" holder kits feature adjustable toe in, also superior pad material.

    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html#duraholder

    Sheldon "Salmon" Brown +-----------------------------------------------------------+
    | A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; | an optimist sees the opportunity in
    | every difficulty. | -- Sir Winston Churchill |
    +-----------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

  6. Derk

    Derk Guest

    Sheldon Brown wrote:
    > The Kool Stop "Dura" holder kits feature adjustable toe in, also superior pad material.
    I think 50% of all these brakes have this problem. I have 3 bikes and 2 have these non-perfect
    brakes. I never understood why they didn't do anything about it.

    My french mechanic uses "la molette" to adjust this, as does my mechanic here!

    Greets, Derk

    Derk a écrit:

    > I think 50% of all these brakes have this problem. I have 3 bikes and 2 have these non-perfect
    > brakes. I never understood why they didn't do anything about it.
    >
    > My french mechanic uses "la molette" to adjust this, as does my mechanic here!

    Not a good idea with modern aluminum calipers. Aluminum is a "work hardening" metal, and becomes
    brittle when bent repeatedly. Could snap off.

    (For the benefit of those who don't read French, a "Clé a molette" is an adjustable wrench.)

    Sheldon "Clé Anglaise" Brown +------------------------------------+
    | France, France...if not for you, | the world would be alone! | --Victor Hugo |
    +------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772
    FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  8. "Sheldon Brown" wrote:

    > The Kool Stop "Dura" holder kits feature adjustable toe in, also superior pad material.
    >
    > http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html#duraholder

    I can't quite figure out from the picture how these things work, but it sure sounds like it's worth
    a try! Thanks for the tip.

    John