Problem with front chainring shifting

Kestrel12

Feb 4, 2006
Hello,

I am hoping that someone can help me with a problem I am having which has driven me crazy.

My problem is that when shifting from the big chainring (FSA TT) to the small chainring the chain doesnt engage properly with the small chainring. It doesnt get thrown off but it just sits on top of the small chainring. As you can imaging this means I lose all tension on the chain as the chainring just spins underneath the chain.

This has now happened twice in a race at critical moments on climbs which has cost me any chance of staying with the group. I have tried adjusting the front derailleur limits, installing a new chain and re-tensioning the front derailleur cable, but nothing has worked.

I can't think of anything else that could be a problem. If anyone else has experienced this problem and found a solution it would be greatly appreciated if you could let me know.

Many thanks in advance for your assistance

I had the same situation with an FSA compact crank. I was running a Shimano chain. I switched to a Wipperman and the problem went away.

Kestrel12 said:
I am hoping that someone can help me with a problem I am having which has driven me crazy.

My problem is that when shifting from the big chainring (FSA TT) to the small chainring the chain doesnt engage properly with the small chainring. It doesnt get thrown off but it just sits on top of the small chainring. As you can imaging this means I lose all tension on the chain as the chainring just spins underneath the chain.

This has now happened twice in a race at critical moments on climbs which has cost me any chance of staying with the group. I have tried adjusting the front derailleur limits, installing a new chain and re-tensioning the front derailleur cable, but nothing has worked.

I can't think of anything else that could be a problem. If anyone else has experienced this problem and found a solution it would be greatly appreciated if you could let me know.
You are PROBABLY (but, perhaps not) using the wrong WIDTH chain for the particular FRONT DERAILLEUR cage -- e.g., a 10-speed chain with a 9-speed front derailleur ... or, a 9-or-10 speed chain with an 8-speed front derailleur -- while using a Shimano OR SRAM shifter.

The obvious solution is to change the chain to one spec'd for the rest of the drivetrain ...

OR, buy a new front derailleur that matches the chain ...

OR, get some Campagnolo ERGO shifters ... OR, if you are using bar end shifters, SIMPLY switch to friction mode on your left shifter.

Chainrings are 53/39.

Drivetrain is all 10 speed campag gear - except the front derailleur (which is 9 speed) and the FSA cranks/chainrings. I also forgot to mention that this problem has only started to occur in the last couple of months and I had been riding the chainrings for about 9 months before the problem started.

I service my bike regularily and replace my chain as soon as the chain checker indicates it needs replacing.

I have been looking to upgrade the front derailleur so it looks like that may be the next step.

If anyone else has any suggestions please feel free to post them as at this stage I will try just about anything.

Thanks

My first guess would be miss matched components as already mentioned, next would be deraileur setup (maby not moveing in far enough). then i would say worn chain rings (if the chainrings are worn after that long something is wrong, probably mismatched componants).

"......SIMPLY switch to friction mode on your left shifter."

alfeng--you know better than this!!!! All bar-ends are friction for the front all of the time--you know that.

John M said:
"......SIMPLY switch to friction mode on your left shifter."

alfeng--you know better than this!!!! All bar-ends are friction for the front all of the time--you know that.
Oh, I see that you're going to make me scrounge around for one of my sets of bar-end shifters ...

FWIW. MY point of reference is ONLY with vintage SunTour barcon & 8-speed Shimano bar-end shifters ...

Of course, the SunTour are friction, only.

My recollection is that the LEFT shifter could also be toggled on the Shimano bar-end ... the first indent is for a double ... then, pulling beyond that indent allows shifting onto a (theoretical) third ring ... OR, the shifter could be used in friction mode. ONLY the RIGHT shifter has a D-ring, as I recall, and the LEFT shifter has to be changed/toggled with a coin-or-screwdriver -- MAYBE I WAS HALLUCINATING!?! My apologies if I was.

I don't know how the LEFT shifter is on the 9-or-10-speed Shimano bar-ends; but, I presume(d) they are/(were) the same as the 8-speed (which may NOT have two modes of use!).

I've only seen Campagnolo bar-ends in pictures, so I don't know what the scoop is with them.

Shimano 9s/10s bar-ends function exactly the same as the 8s. No detents or indexing--friction only double or triple.

Campy bar-ends are friction front, index only on the rear (one of the few areas in which Shimano may be better as there is no option on the Campagnolo to go to friction in the event of a crash that bends the RD or derailleur hangar).

I do like the old Suntour power shifter with its fine ratchet--not really indexing.

Kestrel12 said:
Chainrings are 53/39.

Drivetrain is all 10 speed campag gear - except the front derailleur (which is 9 speed) and the FSA cranks/chainrings. I also forgot to mention that this problem has only started to occur in the last couple of months and I had been riding the chainrings for about 9 months before the problem started.

I service my bike regularily and replace my chain as soon as the chain checker indicates it needs replacing.

I have been looking to upgrade the front derailleur so it looks like that may be the next step.

If anyone else has any suggestions please feel free to post them as at this stage I will try just about anything.

Thanks
Please try to let your front derailleur go a little bit more inward (toward your frame) . You can do that by unscrewing the inside screw . Be careful that the cable tension doesnt stop your derailleur when going down on the small chain ring.