problem with gears

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by marty1787, Jul 13, 2007.

1. marty1787

marty1787 New Member

Ive recently decided to get a road bike. After a few rides I decided to ditch the drop bars as really couldnt live with them. Instead I bought a set of flat handlebars and these shifters http://www.parker-international.co....yID/41/v/c05fd470-407a-4d8b-ae82-10b7c68e2a6d

The problem is the front chainrings is only 2 while the shifters are designed for a 3 ring set. Ive set the bottom ring up perfectly but shifting onto the larger ring (click 2) on the front shifters pushes the front mech to far so only the last 4 gears (8 cassette) work without the chain rubbing the plate. On the bottom ring all 8 rear gears work fine with using the trim postion and the plate doesnt rub. Ive set up exactly how the gear manual said adjusting the cable tension and the little screws but shifting up to the next cog just goes too far.

Is there something I can do or do I need different shifters on the front?

Tags:

2. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

SL-R440 8 or 9 speed Shifters are designed for double or triple chainrings.

Put the chain on the largest rear sprocket and the small chainring,
    Set the Low Limit Screw with the FD cable disconnected, so the chain just misses the cage.

Place the Left Shifter in the Middle (Low trim) position and reconnect the cable. The Hi/Lo trim positions should give you full range of the rear cassette with the small chainring.

Shift to top geat, small rear, big front and check for over/under shift. Overshift, high limit screw, Undershift, cable adjuster and maybe high limit screw.

If all else fails, bring it round here and i'll do it for you. ;)

3. marty1787

marty1787 New Member

Right I did everything as you said when I set it up except for the smaller ring I had the shifter set for the 1st click (low trim) and the second ring its on the middle click (low trim). Does this mean it will work better if the shifter is on the small ring on the middle click (low trim) and the bigger ring when shifter on 3rd click?

4. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

Print out my post, take it to the bike, do it exactly as I have said. ;)

You could treat the crankset as the two outer rings of a triple. :)