Problem with my Brompton M6R-Plus Gearing.

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Kevin, Mar 20, 2006.

  1. Kevin

    Kevin Guest

    Hi, I'd appreciate some help in fixing a problem that I have created
    with my Brompton S-Ram hub. I had to replace 2 spokes on the bike which
    dictates removing the spoke protector from the wheel. To do this you
    have to remove the nut securing the S-Ram gearing in the hub.
    Unfortunately, the hub is spring loaded and the whole thing exploded in
    my hands (doh!). The hub is pretty easy to fit back together but I now
    have a couple of millimeters of play in the spindle that wasn't there
    before. Evans the bike shop say that they cannot fix it and that I need
    a new wheel. Has anyone come across this issue, or does anyone have an
    exploded view of the S-Ram configuration?

    I've checked the S-Ram website and the Brompton website but can't find
    the exact match.

    Any help would be worth a pint as opposed to a new wheel.

    Kevin.

    Tags:

  2. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    Kevin wrote:
    > Hi, I'd appreciate some help in fixing a problem that I have created
    > with my Brompton S-Ram hub. I had to replace 2 spokes on the bike which
    > dictates removing the spoke protector from the wheel. To do this you
    > have to remove the nut securing the S-Ram gearing in the hub.
    > Unfortunately, the hub is spring loaded and the whole thing exploded in
    > my hands (doh!). The hub is pretty easy to fit back together but I now
    > have a couple of millimeters of play in the spindle that wasn't there
    > before.

    That sounds like the bearing adjustment...

    > Evans the bike shop say that they cannot fix it and that I need
    > a new wheel.

    That sounds like a piece of free advice worth every penny you paid for
    it. Its not just cycling that's in trouble with the proliferation of
    shops selling stuff they can't service IMHO.

    > Has anyone come across this issue, or does anyone have an
    > exploded view of the S-Ram configuration?

    This may be direct from the "too much information" school of reply, but
    there is an exploded diagram available in the dealer manual. You can't
    get at this directly, but by donning your peril sensitive Googles like
    this you can:

    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=http://www.sram24.com/
    newtechdoc%2Fenglish%2Fdealers%2Ftechnicalmanuals%2Fpdf%2F1999
    %2FDTM_GHS_E_99.pdf&hl=en&num=20&btnG=Google+Search&meta=cr%3D
    countryUK%7CcountryGB&sourceid=Mozilla-search&start=0

    Now I bet that got tiggered so here's a shorter version:

    http://tinyurl.com/no7bn

    This should bring up a google page with a link for you to click to get
    the pdf.

    > I've checked the S-Ram website and the Brompton website but can't find
    > the exact match.
    >
    > Any help would be worth a pint as opposed to a new wheel.

    A pint opposite a new wheel would be excellent, cheers (if that helped)!

    JimP

  3. Kevin

    Kevin Guest

    Thanks Jim. This is great thanks.