Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

problem with my new fixie/SS frame build

Started by Shiznaz · · Last activity · 2 posts · 1,222 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
29 August 2004
Last activity
29 August 2004
Original author
Shiznaz
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,222
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm in the process of getting a nice fixed gear/single speed bike built up for me by Gene at www.spicercycles.com

    Here is an overview of the bike:

    Frameset:
    aluminum fixed gear road frame spicercycles.com256 large.jpg
    Kinesis Carbon fork 2

    Wheelset:
    Alex R390 rims
    Surly 'New' flip-flop rear hub
    Shimano Dura Ace front hub
    Kenda Kontender tires

    Drive group:
    Surly 15T track cog
    ACS 17T freewheel
    Shimano 105 crankset, double rings replaced with a single 48T chainring
    Shimano bottom bracket
    Wellgo pedals with clips/straps

    Components:
    Ritchey Logic handlebars and stem
    Selcof CNC headset
    Suntour GPX brakeset and levers
    Kalloy Uno seatpost
    Brooks leather saddle
    Sigma Sport computer

    The problem is that Gene emailed me today saying that he accidentally made the frame without a rear brake bridge or cable guides, and right now there is just a tube connecting the seat stays. This means that I cannot put a rear brake on the frame as it is, and due to the painting of the bike (it required 3 different types of powder coatings), it would be faster to build and paint a new frame than to weld a new brake bridge to the existing one, sand it down and repaint.

    I know that fixed gear bikes don't really require a rear brake, and I probably wouldn't use a rear brake when riding fixed, but I set my rear wheel up so that I can flip it over and use it as a freewheel as well. I'm not sure how safe it is to ride on a freewheel with only a front brake, but there is definitely no harm in having both.

    So my question is, is there any easy way to modify this situation so that I can use a rear brake? If I took the frame as it is, I might get a discount or some free stuff, but I would have an extra brake and brake lever I already paid for lying around. If he built a new frame and had it painted it would probably take a couple of weeks, and I have already been waiting a really long time for this bike (plus the end of the riding season in Toronto is in sight).

  2. [quote="Shiznaz"]I'm in the process of getting a nice fixed gear/single speed bike built up for me by Gene at www.spicercycles.com

    <SNIP>
    The problem is that Gene emailed me today saying that he accidentally made the frame without a rear brake bridge or cable guides, and right now there is just a tube connecting the seat stays. This means that I cannot put a rear brake on the frame as it is, and due to the painting of the bike (it required 3 different types of powder coatings), it would be faster to build and paint a new frame than to weld a new brake bridge to the existing one, sand it down and repaint.

    <SNIP>QUOTE]

    Sounds like you want a rear brake and the builder made a mistake.
    I suggest you wait for what you want. If you decide later to take the brake off, you can. If you don't get it, won't there be a nagging feeling about it?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.