Problem with New Bike's Horoscope

"the.Mark" wrote:

> I've always wondered how astrologers cope when new planets are discovered
> and considering the relative size of pluto and its distance from Earth how
> come they don't take all the asteroids and other minor bodies into account?

They do, actually. But it depends how "fine grained" an image they want.
Asteroids can mean too much detail.

As for new planets, they're no problem. The consensus is that a new planet is a
new archetype that reveals itself to the collective psyche. For example,
concepts such as Revolution or Radioactivity are historically modern, but
impact heavily on how we screen our consciousness.

EFR
Ile de France

Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Fear not. The bicycle in question was made in China.

My bike was made on Merseyside - does this mean that it will display a
tendency to uncontrollably crash into Boris Johnson, should I ever
encounter him out and about on his own bike whilst I'm on a ride? ;-)

David E. Belcher

On 26 Oct 2004 00:43:50 -0700, David E. Belcher <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
>> Fear not. The bicycle in question was made in China.

> My bike was made on Merseyside - does this mean that it will display a
> tendency to uncontrollably crash into Boris Johnson, should I ever
> encounter him out and about on his own bike whilst I'm on a ride? ;-)

We can only hope that Boris Johnson's bike was made on Merseyside too.

Colin

So, this is even more problematic than I thought!

I have been phoning round a few local bicycle shops, and so far a number of
them are _refusing_ to put the bike together and make the final adjustments
to activate the warranty! The argument is they didn't sell it, so they won't
handle it. Also, the fact that Dahon is not sold at all in France means that
no one wants to put their name on a Dahon warranty!

EFR
Ile de France

"Tumbleweed" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I thought it was only the elements heavier than iron, whilst and those
> below iron were in fact created in the star which then supernova'd,and
> thus you can probably add a billion or two years onto that? </pedant>

Very true Sir :)

: So, this is even more problematic than I thought!
:
: I have been phoning round a few local bicycle shops, and so far a number
of
: them are _refusing_ to put the bike together and make the final
adjustments
: to activate the warranty! The argument is they didn't sell it, so they
won't
: handle it. Also, the fact that Dahon is not sold at all in France means
that
: no one wants to put their name on a Dahon warranty!
:
: EFR
: Ile de France

I can see their point if you were asking them to do it for free, but you are
willing to pay a small fee, right?
I guess they don't want your future business, either.

Pat in TX
:

"vernon levy" wrote: (clip) I have mulitple personalities and all of them
hate work :)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have multiple personalities, and all of them hate ME. :-(

Pat wrote:

> I can see their point if you were asking them to do it for free, but you are
> willing to pay a small fee, right?
> I guess they don't want your future business, either.

Of course I'm expecting to pay for the service. I am particularly disappointed
by the attitude of my local LBS. He says it's the third bike I buy from someone
other than him, and he's fed up with "patching up other people's problems". He
says if I buy cheap goods on the internet (the Dahon put me back nearly a 1000
euros) I make my bed and lie in it. I always pay him for his time and services,
and I have always gone to him first when looking for my bikes. I buy elsewhere
because he _cannot_ provide the goods that I want. I once asked him for a
woman's comfort saddle and he keenly tried to fob me a man's sports saddle, like
it would make no difference.

I have finally found a place that says they can do this for 39 Euros. They're
quite far from me, but a colleague is willing to drive me tomorrow noonish.

They say the bike will be ready by the end of this week. I've been scrutinizing
the ephemerides again and find that the best time to pick her up is 11:30 on
November 6th - Saturday week, sharpish. On a Saturday, I shall contrive to get
out there by public transport and cycle back part of the way. They might resent
having to make room for her for so long, but I can't just bring her in later
because the willing colleague is not available at another time. Unfortunately,
the skies for Saturday October 30th are not nearly so favorable to me.

EFR
Ile de France

: Of course I'm expecting to pay for the service. I am particularly
disappointed
: by the attitude of my local LBS. He says it's the third bike I buy from
someone
: other than him, and he's fed up with "patching up other people's
problems". He
: says if I buy cheap goods on the internet (the Dahon put me back nearly a
1000
: euros) I make my bed and lie in it. I always pay him for his time and
services,
: and I have always gone to him first when looking for my bikes. I buy
elsewhere
: because he _cannot_ provide the goods that I want. I once asked him for a
: woman's comfort saddle and he keenly tried to fob me a man's sports
saddle, like
: it would make no difference.

I used to work for a guy with an attitude like that. He went out of business
after 4 years (selling and repairing computers). I could only stand it for a
year. I would estimate that the 'meat' of any LBS is repair work---any and
all they can get.

:
[...]

Let us know how the trip back works. You should be getting familiar with
your new bike on that first trip and you'll know a lot by then.

Pat in TX

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 17:02:51 +0200, Elisa Francesca Roselli wrote:

> However illogical it may seem to you, I know I will _NOT_ be able to get
> on a bike with this Moon placement. I freak out at the very thought.

Seek professional psychological help. I'm not saying this to be a smartass
or wiseguy, but because it sounds like you have some serious issues that
you are trying to cope with using this bogus astrology business.

Bicycles are just machines, if you want to feel safe with one, then learn
to wrench or improve your current skills, do a pre-ride safety check, and
follow the traffic rules.

Confidence should stem from your confidence in your own ability and the
flawless tuning of your bike, not from the position of massive gas balls
in the sky.

Diablo Scott wrote:

> It wasn't completely built yet, but when I spun the front wheel and the
> computer display registered the motion... it was a lot like a first
> heartbeat.

Now there's an idea. I brought the bike today to the shop that will do the
setup and check-through. On the same occasion, I requested that a new
computer be configured to the bike with a cadence function. So there will
be a new computer to register the first heartbeat, as you say.

EFR
Ile de France

"Elisa Francesca Roselli" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Diablo Scott wrote:
>
> > It wasn't completely built yet, but when I spun the front wheel and the
> > computer display registered the motion... it was a lot like a first
> > heartbeat.

> Now there's an idea. I brought the bike today to the shop that will do the
> setup and check-through. On the same occasion, I requested that a new
> computer be configured to the bike with a cadence function. So there will
> be a new computer to register the first heartbeat, as you say.

The whole idea of a developing a natal chart based on the time of birth is
that the soul is permanently and irrevocably attached to the body when the
first breath is taken. My question to you is then -- when does your bike get
its "soul"? I think your bike is official with the first ride -- you in the
saddle, turning the cranks.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

> The whole idea of a developing a natal chart based on the time of birth is
> that the soul is permanently and irrevocably attached to the body when the
> first breath is taken. My question to you is then -- when does your bike

get
> its "soul"? I think your bike is official with the first ride -- you in

the
> saddle, turning the cranks.

I actually think that it takes a while for a bike to acquire its soul. How
long depends on each rider and bike. My bike got its soul when it first
stopped feeling like a bike and started feeling like an extension of me.

Cheto

Elisa Francesca Roselli wrote:

> They say the bike will be ready by the end of this week. I've been

scrutinizing
> the ephemerides again and find that the best time to pick her up is

11:30 on
> November 6th - Saturday week, sharpish. On a Saturday, I shall

contrive to get
> out there by public transport and cycle back part of the way. They

might resent
> having to make room for her for so long, but I can't just bring her

in later
> because the willing colleague is not available at another time.

Unfortunately,
> the skies for Saturday October 30th are not nearly so favorable to

me.

> EFR
> Ile de France

What happens to your charts if a curious mechanic takes it out for a
spin while it is stored in the shop awaiting your return?

Tony

Claire Petersky wrote:

> The whole idea of a developing a natal chart based on the time of birth is
> that the soul is permanently and irrevocably attached to the body when the
> first breath is taken. My question to you is then -- when does your bike get
> its "soul"? I think your bike is official with the first ride -- you in the
> saddle, turning the cranks.

First ride may also be a criterion, but then, that wouldn't have worked for
Myrtille, since I bought her before I could ride at all, and it took me several
months to start. Yet my sweet, serviceable, humble Myrtille is very definitely a
Virgo bike, though I only started riding her under Sagittarius.

Since we're dealing with an "inanimate" object (but please notice quotes! ;°> ),
the chart may have more in common with mundane and horary astrology, of the kind
that determines the moment chosen for launching a ship or laying the cornerstone
of a building. So perhaps I'm freer than I thought to set this moment myself.

I took Flyzipper, still in his box, to the Remote Bike Shop yesterday. They said
they could have it ready by today but seemed alright, even pleased, when I said
I would prefer to collect it on the 6th of November.

I'm cutting things rather close as the "official" moment, whatever it is, must
really be _very_ near 11:30 am. I think, if I must have a second Scorpio bike
(Behemoth is also very Scorpio), it would be nice to have a sporty-spiritual
Sagittarius ascendant, especially for a bike that is intended in part for
touring, having fun, seeing nature, expanding my mind and travelling about.
11:30 would put Flyzipper's ascendant at around 25 Sagittarius, opposite my own
Ascendant in Gemini at the placement that represents the "Partner". Waiit a few
minutes too long, and I get a Capricorn Ascendant, another Saturn-ruled Behemoth
- dignified, sober and exalted, but also very exigent, snobbish (too good for
the groceries) and a little hysterical. However, Capricorn is free of other
nefarious influences, so this Asc wouldn't be a disaster. I did a chart for 9:30
AM which would put the ASC at 2 degrees of Sagittarius, conjoint my North Node,
with Mercury smack on it. In some ways this would work even better, but there
are too many problems if I am late. 8 degrees holds another evil fixed star,
Antares. 15 degrees squares my natal Mars, and 22 degrees currently houses
transiting Pluto, sex, death and power planet, which I don't really want on the
ASC of a _bike_, although it might be fascinating on a person. I'm dangerously
near Pluto even at 11:30, but at least it's hidden in the 12th house of the
chart, where it might represent my anxieties and nightmares over this whole
venture.

Moon placement on the morning of the 6th is excellent, since it conjoins my own
Jupiter-Pluto conjunction at the end of Leo. At least if I get killed, it should
be a quick, clean death, and I'll have fun riding to it. 11:30 also puts
Flyzipper's Venus and Jupiter in the 9th house of travel and adventure, Mars
smack on the MC and Sun in the 10th suggesting a fortunate career move and the
competitive drive to go with it, and Mercury in the friendly and sociable 11th
house, suggesting bright new collegues to talk to.

EFR
Ile de France

In article <[email protected]>,
"Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> writes:

> The whole idea of a developing a natal chart based on the time of birth is
> that the soul is permanently and irrevocably attached to the body when the
> first breath is taken. My question to you is then -- when does your bike get
> its "soul"? I think your bike is official with the first ride -- you in the
> saddle, turning the cranks.

I have to agree. If by 'soul' we're refering to some
animating force or principle, a bicycle by itself just
doesn't have one, not even on some sort of mechanical
nephesch-ish level, like with Asimov's robots.
The rider is the bicycle's animus. The rider's soul
is the bicycle's soul.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Elisa Francesca Roselli <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> I don't suppose anyone else has this kind of problem. But if it

does
> mean something to you, when would you consider your bike "born"?
>
> EFR

Why is bike riding so complex on this newsgroup? I have been reading
different threads for the past few days and I am in awe. (or
catatonic). I had this vision of buying a bicycle, going for a ride
in my cute little suburban town occasionally, riding through the
parks, dodging squirrels, passing the little children who ride around
town and basically being serene and at peace not catastrophically
harmed. I live in this town because it is far from dangerous in any
respect. You have to leave town to find anything even remotely close
to risky. I moved here from Newark when I was a kid and I know "safe
and unsafe". We moved here just before the Newark Riots started in
the 60's. It was a fun time back then. Also when I was young (a very
long time ago) I rode on the back of motorcycles (aka choppers)..with
extended front ends which were built by my husband and I never wore a
helmet, took a spill or two and never thought about it. As a kid I
rode on the handlebars of my older brothers bike in downtown Newark. I
remember trying to cross Broad and Market to get to the park....I
don't know how I lived. It's not like I grew up a wuss. Now I am 50,
bought a Walmart bicycle, looked for a bicycle newsgroup and after
reading the threads I feel like I am a dead woman if I ride. Maybe
with age comes fear, who knows. I do remember being fearless
once....or was that stupid? Fearless or stupid? Is there a
difference? Point me in a direction where old ladies who turned 50
can talk about riding their walmart bikes in the parks of their quiet
little protected suburbian town. GOD THAT SOUNDS BORING. I have
become one of "THE OLD PEOPLE!!!!!!" Safe, protected and hiding in
my nice suburban lifestyle. In a town where 3 police cars show up to
every call, because nothing ever happens here.

Maggie wrote:

> Why is bike riding so complex on this newsgroup?

It probably isn't, but that you've happened on a few obsessive-compulsive nut-cases.

EFR
Ile de France

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Maggie) writes:

> Why is bike riding so complex on this newsgroup?

1) 'Cuz bike riders are complex people and bikes are too
simple, so we've gotta inflict our complexities on 'em.
(Human) nature deploring a vacuum 'n all that.

2) 'Cuz we're stuck for new & interesting things to talk about.
It's all already been discussed. So we delve into the
details, hoping to find interesting topics hitherto
overlooked. It's something to do while waiting for the
rain to stop, or dogging it at the workplace.

cheers,
Tom

--
[...]

Well, if you ride slowly within the confines of a park, you shouldn't have
any problems...except if you hit the squirrel, I suppose. I wouldn't
hesitate to say that the rest of us ride bicycles in the real world, and not
in the park.

Pat in TX