Problem with New Bike's Horoscope

Elisa Francesca Roselli

Guest
OK, I am a Very Superstitious Person. Especially as relates to all
things bike because this is an area like love, gambling and sea-voyages,
fraught with uncertainty, hazard and fear, and in the hands of
capricious gods.

Lately I have been so afraid of my impending job transfer to a site 10
kms away from my home (and connected need to commute by bike) that I
have been losing sleep. My balance is wonkier than usual due to
anxiety-related hyperventilation. The fear is such that I have developed
an aversion to my bikes. I ride in a panicky fashion and have problems
starting in traffic, which of course makes things only more dangerous. I
assuage myself by "allowing" myself to walk to work. There is no
enjoyment at all in cycling just now.

This is not helped by an ad campaign that is being insistently run on
French TV, in which paraplegics and tetraplegics and people with
amputations talk about the horrendous road accidents that ruined their
lives and made them into vegetables. And just to add to the burden of
synchronicity, I went to see a movie yesterday about the life of Cole
Porter which dealt, again, with the theme of his riding accident,
confinement to a wheelchair and leg amputation.

Everyone I speak to about commuting to work by bike thinks it is a crazy
idea and that I will be risking my life. There was even an issue as to
whether my work-insurance would cover me in the event of such an
accident.

I also mentioned that I was going to buy a Dahon folding bike of the
model Impulse P21. Well, I did it. Lovely little bike arrived today and
is sitting, still packed in its box, next to my desk.

I was hoping it would arrive today or tomorrow because the transiting
planets are quite well-placed in relation to my own natal chart.
However, there are two factors, the Moon placement and the
Ascendant/House Cusps, which depend on the _exact_ time and place of
birth and cannot be estimated just on the basis of the day.

I signed the delivery note for Flyzipper, for such is his name, at 11:55
am, and am taking that as the time of his "birth".

To my dismay, the chart cast for that time has the Moon sitting on the
worst degree of the whole zodiac - under the influence of an evil Fixed
Star called Scheat which just happens to symbolize extreme danger,
injury, violent - especially transport related - death, murder, suicide,
drowning, imprisonment and confinement.

However illogical it may seem to you, I know I will _NOT_ be able to get
on a bike with this Moon placement. I freak out at the very thought.

Moreover, my own natal chart makes everything worse. An exact
Pluto-Saturn square in the Third and Sixth houses suggests danger from
transport or some kind of incapacitation of mobility or neurological
deterioration. I live with that all the time - it is one reason I have
to get over so much fear in relation to bikes and scooters - but whether
I bike or not has no effect on the symbolism. I could be run over on the
sidewalk or develop rheumatoid arthritis. What upsets me especially is
the combination of symbolisms on my nativity and Flyzipper's.

But was Flyzipper really "born" when I signed the delivery note? It was
easy with Myrtille and Behemoth, since they were taken home from the
place I bought them and the birth time is simply the date-time stamp on
the sales slip. Since Flyzipper was ordered at distance from an Internet
dealer in the UK, I don't have such a sales slip.

I did open the box to make sure the right bike was in it, but as I said,
the bike is still packed. On the box it says in big letters:

"Attention"
"Before your first ride, you must have your bike thoroughly checked and
adjusted by a professional bicycle technician. This final adjustment
will activate your warranty and ensure that your bicycle is optimally
adjusted for safety and performance".

I phoned the dealers and they said my LBS-man should sign or stamp the
warranty when he has checked the bike and that this will be acceptable
as an "activation". I wonder if I can persuade myself that the bike will
not be "born" until that happens, or until I collect and pay for it
(presumably the LBS-man will charge a fee for the adjustments,
especially since I did not buy the bike from him). But every time I try
that it seems like intellectual dishonesty, cheating.

I don't suppose anyone else has this kind of problem. But if it does
mean something to you, when would you consider your bike "born"?

EFR
Ile de France

Elisa Francesca Roselli wrote:

> OK, I am a Very Superstitious Person. Especially as relates to all
> things bike because this is an area like love, gambling and sea-voyages,
> fraught with uncertainty, hazard and fear, and in the hands of
> capricious gods.

Best not risk it. Send the bike to me and I will adopt and look after
it for you.

Tony

"Elisa Francesca Roselli" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> But was Flyzipper really "born" when I signed the delivery note? It was
> easy with Myrtille and Behemoth, since they were taken home from the
> place I bought them and the birth time is simply the date-time stamp on
> the sales slip.

You're OK. The aluminium, iron, carbon and whatever other atoms make up your
bike were born in a supernova around 5 billion years ago, before Saturn and
Pluto existed. So no planets were around for these elements to have a
horoscope. Same goes for us humans as well, I suppose.
--
Simon

in message <[email protected]>, Elisa Francesca Roselli
('[email protected]') wrote:

> OK, I am a Very Superstitious Person. Especially as relates to all
> things bike because this is an area like love, gambling and
> sea-voyages, fraught with uncertainty, hazard and fear, and in the
> hands of capricious gods.

> I was hoping it would arrive today or tomorrow because the transiting
> planets are quite well-placed in relation to my own natal chart.
> However, there are two factors, the Moon placement and the
> Ascendant/House Cusps, which depend on the _exact_ time and place of
> birth and cannot be estimated just on the basis of the day.
>
> I signed the delivery note for Flyzipper, for such is his name, at
> 11:55 am, and am taking that as the time of his "birth".
>
> To my dismay, the chart cast for that time has the Moon sitting on the
> worst degree of the whole zodiac - under the influence of an evil
> Fixed Star called Scheat which just happens to symbolize extreme
> danger, injury, violent - especially transport related - death,
> murder, suicide, drowning, imprisonment and confinement.

Fear not. The bicycle in question was made in China. Consequently it is
subject only to Chinese horoscopes, and is a Red Cow born in the
auspicious year of the Green Monkey.

Furthermore, of course, my own assessment (above) is based on your
assumption as to the date of birth. My own estimate would put the date
of birth at least three months earlier, because, of course, Flyzipper
has spent a good deal of time on a slow boat from China.

;; When all else fails, read the distractions.

> "Elisa Francesca Roselli" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

>> But was Flyzipper really "born" when I signed the delivery note? It was
>> easy with Myrtille and Behemoth, since they were taken home from the
>> place I bought them and the birth time is simply the date-time stamp on
>> the sales slip.

> You're OK. The aluminium, iron, carbon and whatever other atoms make up
> your bike were born in a supernova around 5 billion years ago, before
> Saturn and Pluto existed. So no planets were around for these elements to
> have a horoscope. Same goes for us humans as well, I suppose.
> --
> Simon

I thought it was only the elements heavier than iron, whilst and those below
iron were in fact created in the star which then supernova'd,and thus you
can probably add a billion or two years onto that? </pedant>

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Elisa Francesca Roselli wrote:
> OK, I am a Very Superstitious Person. Especially as relates to all
> things bike because this is an area like love, gambling and sea-voyages,
> fraught with uncertainty, hazard and fear, and in the hands of
> capricious gods.

You'll be fine - just sacrifice a goat (or a Frenchman... s'near enough)
at the next full moon.

Works for me.

Steve (who only ever mounts from the left side of the bike)

Elisa Francesca Roselli wrote:

> I don't suppose anyone else has this kind of problem. But if it does
> mean something to you, when would you consider your bike "born"?
>
> EFR
> Ile de France

Given what you have said, I'd be inclined to view the 'birth' as the
point in time that you could (if you so wished) get on and ride it. IE,
at the point when it's been checked over by the bike shop and
pronounced the bolts are tight where they're meant to be tight, it's got
everything on that needs to be on, etc.

--

Velvet

In article <[email protected]>,
Elisa Francesca Roselli <[email protected]> writes:

> Lately I have been so afraid of my impending job transfer to a site 10
> kms away from my home (and connected need to commute by bike) that I
> have been losing sleep. My balance is wonkier than usual due to
> anxiety-related hyperventilation. The fear is such that I have developed
> an aversion to my bikes. I ride in a panicky fashion and have problems
> starting in traffic, which of course makes things only more dangerous. I
> assuage myself by "allowing" myself to walk to work. There is no
> enjoyment at all in cycling just now.

You can & shall ride if you wanna; you don't have to & won't if
you don't wanna. It's your free choice.

In the meantime, maybe this might help:
"Riding Your Spiritual Bicycle"
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/energyhealing/riding.htm

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

I took a fortune cookie message that siad, "You are going to have good
luck," and stuffed in inside my handlebar. Sure enough, I have not had a
crash or serious mechanical problem since.

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 17:02:51 +0200, Elisa Francesca Roselli
<[email protected]> wrote:

>an area like love, gambling and sea-voyages,
>fraught with uncertainty, hazard and fear, and in the hands of
>capricious gods.

Say what you may, but this young lady writes in Pure Poetry. I always read
EFR's posts. <smile>

-B

Elisa Francesca Roselli wrote:

> Moreover, my own natal chart makes everything worse. An exact
> Pluto-Saturn square in the Third and Sixth houses suggests
> danger from transport or some kind of incapacitation of
> mobility or neurological deterioration. I live with that all
> the time - it is one reason I have to get over so much fear in
> relation to bikes and scooters - but whether I bike or not has
> no effect on the symbolism. I could be run over on the
> sidewalk or develop rheumatoid arthritis. What upsets me
> especially is the combination of symbolisms on my nativity and
> Flyzipper's.

I've always wondered how astrologers cope when new planets are discovered
and considering the relative size of pluto and its distance from Earth how
come they don't take all the asteroids and other minor bodies into account?
--
Mark

1x1 wheel, 3x2 wheels & 1x3 wheels.

"the.Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I've always wondered how astrologers cope when new planets are discovered
> and considering the relative size of pluto and its distance from Earth how
> come they don't take all the asteroids and other minor bodies into

account?

Astrology was disproved on 13th October 1925.
Maggie Thatcher and Lenny Bruce were both born that day!

Elisa Francesca Roselli wrote:

> I don't suppose anyone else has this kind of problem. But if it does
> mean something to you, when would you consider your bike "born"?

I think you need professional help not a newsgroup!

James
by treading on the toes of giants.

Elisa Francesca Roselli wrote:

> But if it does
> mean something to you, when would you consider your bike "born"?
>
> EFR
> Ile de France

It wasn't completely built yet, but when I spun the front wheel and the
computer display registered the motion... it was a lot like a first
heartbeat.

--
My bike blog:
http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

"Elisa Francesca Roselli" <[email protected]> wrote

> I also mentioned that I was going to buy a Dahon folding bike of the
> model Impulse P21. Well, I did it. Lovely little bike arrived today and
> is sitting, still packed in its box, next to my desk.
>
> I was hoping it would arrive today or tomorrow because the transiting
> planets are quite well-placed in relation to my own natal chart.
> However, there are two factors, the Moon placement and the
> Ascendant/House Cusps, which depend on the _exact_ time and place of
> birth and cannot be estimated just on the basis of the day.
>
> I signed the delivery note for Flyzipper, for such is his name, at 11:55
> am, and am taking that as the time of his "birth".

Flyzipper, just as with a child, is NOT born until he comes out of the box.
(figuratively and literally)

Unlike most children, though, you have the good fortune to be able to choose
the day.

Pete

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 06:42:12 +0900, James Annan
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Elisa Francesca Roselli wrote:
>

>> I don't suppose anyone else has this kind of problem. But if it does
>> mean something to you, when would you consider your bike "born"?

>I think you need professional help not a newsgroup!
>
>James

We are TOO a newsgroup. It says it right above you

"rec.*****cycles.misc.anthrope"

-B
humph!

Tumbleweed wrote:
> "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>"Elisa Francesca Roselli" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>

>>>But was Flyzipper really "born" when I signed the delivery note? It was
>>>easy with Myrtille and Behemoth, since they were taken home from the
>>>place I bought them and the birth time is simply the date-time stamp on
>>>the sales slip.

>>You're OK. The aluminium, iron, carbon and whatever other atoms make up
>>your bike were born in a supernova around 5 billion years ago, before
>>Saturn and Pluto existed. So no planets were around for these elements to
>>have a horoscope. Same goes for us humans as well, I suppose.
>>--
>>Simon

> I thought it was only the elements heavier than iron, whilst and those below
> iron were in fact created in the star which then supernova'd,and thus you
> can probably add a billion or two years onto that? </pedant>

You fools! We were all created by God 5 million years ago. He/She just
made it look like the univers is billions of years old. Believe....

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 23:15:48 GMT, "Pete"
<ptr@ThievingBastardsWorkAt_usaf.com> wrote:

>"Elisa Francesca Roselli" <[email protected]> wrote
>

>> I also mentioned that I was going to buy a Dahon folding bike of the
>> model Impulse P21. Well, I did it. Lovely little bike arrived today and
>> is sitting, still packed in its box, next to my desk.
>>
>> I was hoping it would arrive today or tomorrow because the transiting
>> planets are quite well-placed in relation to my own natal chart.
>> However, there are two factors, the Moon placement and the
>> Ascendant/House Cusps, which depend on the _exact_ time and place of
>> birth and cannot be estimated just on the basis of the day.
>>
>> I signed the delivery note for Flyzipper, for such is his name, at 11:55
>> am, and am taking that as the time of his "birth".

>Flyzipper, just as with a child, is NOT born until he comes out of the box.
>(figuratively and literally)

>Pete

Picturing...a bicycle with an 'egg tooth'...lol.

-B

Elisa Francesca Roselli <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> OK, I am a Very Superstitious Person. Especially as relates to all
> things bike because this is an area like love, gambling and sea-voyages,
> fraught with uncertainty, hazard and fear, and in the hands of
> capricious gods...

I was in tears reading this. Tears of frustration. This is exactly the
kind of thread I want... oh well. Someday.

Sam
---
http://www.freewheelingforum.com

> I don't suppose anyone else has this kind of problem. But if it does
> mean something to you, when would you consider your bike "born"?
>
> EFR
> Ile de France

Have you asked your psychiatrist?

I have mulitple personalities and all of them hate work :)

Vernon(s)