problem with old Maillard freewheel

Bellsouth Ijit 2.0

Guest
The Maillard 5-spd freewheel has gotten so sluggish on my '86 Peugeot Iseran
so that it hardly turns counter-clockwise (freewheels). It's almost like
riding a track bike since I can't really pedal backwards (the chain will
kink up). Other than trying to replace the freewheel (which must be another
huge pain the ass prospect altogether) or simply replacing the whole rear
wheel altogether, is there anything I should consider? If I wanted to
attempt to remove the freewheel, what Park tool would I need? TIA.

On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 00:27:55 -0500, Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 typed:

> The Maillard 5-spd freewheel has gotten so sluggish on my '86 Peugeot Iseran
> so that it hardly turns counter-clockwise (freewheels). It's almost like
> riding a track bike since I can't really pedal backwards (the chain will
> kink up). Other than trying to replace the freewheel (which must be another
> huge pain the ass prospect altogether) or simply replacing the whole rear
> wheel altogether, is there anything I should consider? If I wanted to
> attempt to remove the freewheel, what Park tool would I need? TIA.

If you're truly on a budget (been there) drip some oil into the freewheel
mechanism. If ya got some mineral spirits, mix it half with the oil, as
it'll help penetrate.

Don't know off hand which tool to remove a Maillard--but for $30 or so, if
you shop around, you can get a 6 or 7 speed hyperglide freewheel and
chain, and that bike will shift like the mutts nuts!

Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 wrote:
> The Maillard 5-spd freewheel has gotten so sluggish on my '86 Peugeot Iseran
> so that it hardly turns counter-clockwise (freewheels). It's almost like
> riding a track bike since I can't really pedal backwards (the chain will
> kink up). Other than trying to replace the freewheel (which must be another
> huge pain the ass prospect altogether) or simply replacing the whole rear
> wheel altogether, is there anything I should consider? If I wanted to
> attempt to remove the freewheel, what Park tool would I need? TIA.

The tool is $7.95 and readily available at any competent bike shop.
Remove the freewheel and drip oil through it until it runs clear. Some
Atom/Normandy/Maillard frewheels have a plastic seal on the back side
which can be removed to speed that process. Replace it after.

If/when your chain and freewheel are worn out, 5 speed replacement
freewheels range from $20 up, chains from $15 up and are also
universally available.

p.s. Your 1986 bike was made after metric freewheel threads were
abandoned. BSC freewheels, unlike metric, abound.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Jan 31, 9:27 pm, "Bellsouth Ijit 2.0" <[email protected]> wrote:
> The Maillard 5-spd freewheel has gotten so sluggish on my '86 Peugeot Iseran
> If I wanted to
> attempt to remove the freewheel, what Park tool would I need? TIA.

I can't see that any of the current Park freewheel tools would fit.
You have either a "small spline" or "large spline" freewheel, for
which the tools are still available:
small spline:
http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?&d=single&item_id=BR-CT2
http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?&d=single&item_id=PW-FR2
large spline:
http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?&d=single&item_id=VR-RL40500

Jeff

"Bellsouth Ijit 2.0" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The Maillard 5-spd freewheel has gotten so sluggish on my '86 Peugeot

Iseran
> so that it hardly turns counter-clockwise (freewheels). It's almost

like
> riding a track bike since I can't really pedal backwards (the chain will
> kink up). Other than trying to replace the freewheel (which must be

another
> huge pain the ass prospect altogether) or simply replacing the whole

rear
> wheel altogether, is there anything I should consider? If I wanted to
> attempt to remove the freewheel, what Park tool would I need? TIA.

Follow the other poster's advice but also, make sure that you clean any
crud out of the space between the sprockets and the center part of the
freewheel. When you put oil or solvent in that area, you don't want it to
get washed into the freewheel mechanism.

Chas.

"landotter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 00:27:55 -0500, Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 typed:
>
>> The Maillard 5-spd freewheel has gotten so sluggish on my '86 Peugeot
>> Iseran
>> so that it hardly turns counter-clockwise (freewheels). It's almost like
>> riding a track bike since I can't really pedal backwards (the chain will
>> kink up). Other than trying to replace the freewheel (which must be
>> another
>> huge pain the ass prospect altogether) or simply replacing the whole rear
>> wheel altogether, is there anything I should consider? If I wanted to
>> attempt to remove the freewheel, what Park tool would I need? TIA.

> If you're truly on a budget (been there) drip some oil into the freewheel
> mechanism. If ya got some mineral spirits, mix it half with the oil, as
> it'll help penetrate.
>
> Don't know off hand which tool to remove a Maillard--but for $30 or so, if
> you shop around, you can get a 6 or 7 speed hyperglide freewheel and
> chain, and that bike will shift like the mutts nuts!

Thanks. If I can make do without trying to remove the freewheel, all the
better! It's a 27" wheel with Maillard hub stamped "44 85." I'm assuming
"85" is the year of manufacture. I'm not sure if I can even find a
replacement freewheel for the French thread if the whole freewheel is toast.

What kind if oil should I use? Any old?

On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 10:59:33 -0500, Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 typed:

> What kind if oil should I use? Any old?

Aye, anything that can work its way in and loosen the crud. At this point,
even ole' WD40 would be better than the status quo.

On 2007-02-01, Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 <[email protected]> wrote:

> The Maillard 5-spd freewheel has gotten so sluggish on my '86 Peugeot Iseran
> so that it hardly turns counter-clockwise (freewheels). It's almost like
> riding a track bike since I can't really pedal backwards (the chain will
> kink up). Other than trying to replace the freewheel (which must be another
> huge pain the ass prospect altogether) or simply replacing the whole rear
> wheel altogether, is there anything I should consider?

Soak the freewheel in mineral spirits for a while, blow the gunk out
with compressed air, and repeat until what washes out is clean solvent.
Relubricate with oil.

> If I wanted to attempt to remove the freewheel, what Park tool would
> I need?

If your freewheel is the one that came with the bike in 1986 you
probably want the splined remover (e.g. Phil Wood, Zeus, Bicycle
Research CT-1), but I'm suspicious that your freewheel is
substantially older than the bike. 5-speed freewheels were already
dinosaurs by 1986. If your freewheel has two notches for the
remover rather than splines, you'll need a rarer tool: the Maillard 411,
Kingsbridge 110, or VAR 186 tool.

--

John ([email protected])

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 wrote:
>> The Maillard 5-spd freewheel has gotten so sluggish on my '86 Peugeot
>> Iseran so that it hardly turns counter-clockwise (freewheels). It's
>> almost like riding a track bike since I can't really pedal backwards (the
>> chain will kink up). Other than trying to replace the freewheel (which
>> must be another huge pain the ass prospect altogether) or simply
>> replacing the whole rear wheel altogether, is there anything I should
>> consider? If I wanted to attempt to remove the freewheel, what Park tool
>> would I need? TIA.

> The tool is $7.95 and readily available at any competent bike shop.
> Remove the freewheel and drip oil through it until it runs clear. Some
> Atom/Normandy/Maillard frewheels have a plastic seal on the back side
> which can be removed to speed that process. Replace it after.
>
> If/when your chain and freewheel are worn out, 5 speed replacement
> freewheels range from $20 up, chains from $15 up and are also universally
> available.
>
> p.s. Your 1986 bike was made after metric freewheel threads were
> abandoned. BSC freewheels, unlike metric, abound.
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> www.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Thanks. So my rear Maillard hub is not French threaded, but ISO-threaded?
It's a 27" wheel, Maillard hub with "44 85" stamped on it. The lockring of
the freewheel says "Schwinn Approved - Made in Japan."

On 2007-02-01, Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 <[email protected]> wrote:

> "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> I'm not sure if I can even find a replacement freewheel for the
> French thread if the whole freewheel is toast.

They turn up on eBay routinely.

> What kind if oil should I use? Any old?

Phil's "Tenacious" oil is a good choice, IMHO. It doesn't run out of the
body as quickly as a lighter oil.

--

John ([email protected])

On 2007-02-01, JeffWills <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Jan 31, 9:27 pm, "Bellsouth Ijit 2.0" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> The Maillard 5-spd freewheel has gotten so sluggish on my '86 Peugeot Iseran
>> If I wanted to
>> attempt to remove the freewheel, what Park tool would I need? TIA.

> I can't see that any of the current Park freewheel tools would fit.
> You have either a "small spline" or "large spline" freewheel, for
> which the tools are still available:
> small spline:
> http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?&d=single&item_id=BR-CT2

Assuming he has one of the splined Maillard bodies, this one would work,
but requires partial disassembly of the axle to insert the tool.

> http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?&d=single&item_id=PW-FR2

This one (Phil Wood) is the preferred tool for this job. No disassembly
required.

> large spline:
> http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?&d=single&item_id=VR-RL40500

The body has been obsolete for decades and is unlikely to be the tool
needed for a 1980s era bike.

--

John ([email protected])

"Bellsouth Ijit 2.0" <[email protected]> writes:

>The Maillard 5-spd freewheel has gotten so sluggish on my '86 Peugeot Iseran
>so that it hardly turns counter-clockwise (freewheels).

I received a set of motobecane hubs with a suntour perfect 8.8.8
freewheel. And in another vintage buy, a suntour perfect 8.8.8
freewheel.

Both were so old and sticky that they would not 'freewheel'.

I soaked them for a few days in 'evapo-rust'. While I haven't mounted
them yet, after re-oiling them, they spin like new and more or less
look like new. The transformation was astonishing. Your mileage may
vary with non-black freewheels.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA, USA

Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 wrote:
> Thanks. So my rear Maillard hub is not French threaded, but ISO-threaded?
> It's a 27" wheel, Maillard hub with "44 85" stamped on it. The lockring of
> the freewheel says "Schwinn Approved - Made in Japan."

Right. By 1985 there were no Metric Normandy hubs AFAIK. If there were,
your Japanese freewheel wouldn't be on it.

If you do remove the freewheel, the back side* will show either the
thread dimensions or a prominent I or A to denote non-French threading.

And your freewheel is a Shimano, not a Maillard.

*Note: Freewheels are marked on the back because that's the part with
the hub-engaging threads. On models supplied with various threads the
outer body and front plate are all the same so the inner body (back) has
the markings. They are threaded country-of-origin unless marked. A
Regina is Italian unless you see an A or F. French ones are metric
unless there's an I or A or some other indication that it is _not_ metric.

Suntour is an exception as their unique remover format allowed a large
lip inside the cover plate which is clearly marked "METRIC" on the
French dimension models.
--

John Thompson wrote:
> The body has been obsolete for decades and is unlikely to be the tool
> needed for a 1980s era bike.

You should get out more.

That thick-walled Euro style Atom tool (must-remove-axle-type) is a
fortunately obsolete antique and not missed at all by mechanics. Phil
Wood hasn't made their excellent freewheel tool in years.

Park's copy (Part # FR-4) has been _the_ choice for Atom splines for a
generation now. Under $10 ($7.95 usually) at any competent LBS- stocked
at twenty or more distributors across the country.

In a later post the OP noted he has a _Shimano_ freewheel which is a
slightly larger spline [same as Campagnolo BB and cassette lockring].
The cheapest tool is again a Park product, (Part #FR-1) again, under $10
virtually everywhere.

If he had an early style remove-axle-first Shimano freewheel or the
large Normandy style (whose tool is now costly) or a break-on-removal
early notched Atom/Regina I'd suggest removal at an LBS for a couple of
bucks as the aggravation isn't IMHO worth it. But for a mid-80s small
spline Atom/Normandy or Shimano the tools are cheap, easy to use and
available everywhere.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>> "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> The tool is $7.95 and readily available at any competent bike shop.
>>> Remove the freewheel and drip oil through it until it runs clear. Some
>>> Atom/Normandy/Maillard frewheels have a plastic seal on the back side
>>> which can be removed to speed that process. Replace it after.
>>> If/when your chain and freewheel are worn out, 5 speed replacement
>>> freewheels range from $20 up, chains from $15 up and are also
>>> universally available.
>>> p.s. Your 1986 bike was made after metric freewheel threads were
>>> abandoned. BSC freewheels, unlike metric, abound.

> Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 wrote:
>> Thanks. So my rear Maillard hub is not French threaded, but
>> ISO-threaded? It's a 27" wheel, Maillard hub with "44 85" stamped on it.
>> The lockring of the freewheel says "Schwinn Approved - Made in Japan."

> Right. By 1985 there were no Metric Normandy hubs AFAIK. If there were,
> your Japanese freewheel wouldn't be on it.
>
> If you do remove the freewheel, the back side* will show either the thread
> dimensions or a prominent I or A to denote non-French threading.
>
> And your freewheel is a Shimano, not a Maillard.
>
> *Note: Freewheels are marked on the back because that's the part with the
> hub-engaging threads. On models supplied with various threads the outer
> body and front plate are all the same so the inner body (back) has the
> markings. They are threaded country-of-origin unless marked. A Regina is
> Italian unless you see an A or F. French ones are metric unless there's an
> I or A or some other indication that it is _not_ metric.
>
> Suntour is an exception as their unique remover format allowed a large lip
> inside the cover plate which is clearly marked "METRIC" on the French
> dimension models.
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> www.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Thanks for your expertise as usual! Makes sense, since the bike came with
Shimano front and rear derailleurs.

On Feb 1, 8:59 am, "Bellsouth Ijit 2.0" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 00:27:55 -0500, Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 typed:

> >> The Maillard 5-spd freewheel has gotten so sluggish on my '86 Peugeot
> >> Iseran
> >> so that it hardly turns counter-clockwise (freewheels). It's almost like
> >> riding a track bike since I can't really pedal backwards (the chain will
> >> kink up). Other than trying to replace the freewheel (which must be
> >> another
> >> huge pain the ass prospect altogether) or simply replacing the whole rear
> >> wheel altogether, is there anything I should consider? If I wanted to
> >> attempt to remove the freewheel, what Park tool would I need? TIA.

> > If you're truly on a budget (been there) drip some oil into the freewheel
> > mechanism. If ya got some mineral spirits, mix it half with the oil, as
> > it'll help penetrate.

> > Don't know off hand which tool to remove a Maillard--but for $30 or so, if
> > you shop around, you can get a 6 or 7 speed hyperglide freewheel and
> > chain, and that bike will shift like the mutts nuts!

> Thanks. If I can make do without trying to remove the freewheel, all the
> better! It's a 27" wheel with Maillard hub stamped "44 85." I'm assuming
> "85" is the year of manufacture. I'm not sure if I can even find a
> replacement freewheel for the French thread if the whole freewheel is toast.
>
> What kind if oil should I use? Any old?

Just for info, I have a couple of Malliad threaded freewheels, made by
Sachs, if ya need one. $45 per.