Problem with play in rear wheel

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Gr, May 31, 2004.

  1. Gr

    Gr Guest

    Hi, I've only recently started cycling again. After leaving
    university I stashed my bike away and didn't touch it for 6
    years. I recently decided it was about time I dug it out
    from under the piles of crap hiding away in the garage
    rafters and get active again.

    This was about two months ago. I used it for around 1 month,
    then, realising it wasn't going to be a brief passing fad I
    decided it would be worth splashing out on a new bike (the
    old one was knocking on for 9 years old or so, and the twist
    shift was annoying the life out of me). After a little
    research I decided a Specialized Rockhopper would be ideal
    for me. I bought the rockhopper 1 month ago, and was loving
    it until today.

    I was heading out for a ride today but unfortunately, (or
    fortunately, depending on how you look at it), I got a
    puncture no further than 200 metres away from my driveway. I
    headed back, fixed the puncture then while refitting the
    rear wheel I noticed it had some play it, quite a bit
    actually. Holding the wheel and moving it side to side I can
    easily get it to knock against the pads.

    The timing is quite useful, its going to be going into the
    LBS for its free 30 day checkup shortly and I'm sure they'll
    fix any problem for me. However, I won't be able to get it
    to them for at least a week and in the meantime I have a 12
    mile daily off-road commute to work, which I'm really
    enjoying and am loath to give up for a week.

    Is this a problem I could potentially take care of myself?
    I've tried searching for the solution but I can't seem to
    find a definitive answer. Any help or advice would be
    greatly appreciated, I'm quite willing to get my hands dirty
    trying to fix it myself if I only knew what I was doing!

    Graham

    Tags:

  2. "GR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, I've only recently started cycling again. After
    > leaving university I stashed my bike away and didn't touch
    > it for 6 years. I recently decided
    it
    > was about time I dug it out from under the piles of crap
    > hiding away in
    the
    > garage rafters and get active again.
    >
    > This was about two months ago. I used it for around 1
    > month, then,
    realising
    > it wasn't going to be a brief passing fad I decided it
    > would be worth splashing out on a new bike (the old one
    > was knocking on for 9 years old
    or
    > so, and the twist shift was annoying the life out of me).
    > After a little research I decided a Specialized Rockhopper
    > would be ideal for me. I
    bought
    > the rockhopper 1 month ago, and was loving it until today.
    >
    > I was heading out for a ride today but unfortunately, (or
    > fortunately, depending on how you look at it), I got a
    > puncture no further than 200 metres away from my driveway.
    > I headed back, fixed the puncture then while refitting the
    > rear wheel I noticed it had some play it, quite a bit
    > actually. Holding the wheel and moving it side to side I
    > can easily get it to knock against the pads.
    >
    > The timing is quite useful, its going to be going into the
    > LBS for its
    free
    > 30 day checkup shortly and I'm sure they'll fix any
    > problem for me.
    However,
    > I won't be able to get it to them for at least a week and
    > in the meantime
    > have a 12 mile daily off-road commute to work, which I'm
    > really enjoying
    and

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/conewrenches.html

    --
    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

    I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
    The rest I've just wasted.

  3. Mojo Deluxe

    Mojo Deluxe Guest

    "GR" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:gsKdnX0Ng8dO-
    [email protected] <snip>

    > Is this a problem I could potentially take care of myself?
    > I've tried searching for the solution but I can't seem to
    > find a definitive answer.
    Any
    > help or advice would be greatly appreciated, I'm quite
    > willing to get my hands dirty trying to fix it myself if I
    > only knew what I was doing!

    Sounds like the hub needs adjusting, but without looking at
    it personally, I could not say for sure. If you are
    mechanically inclined, have the tools, and instructions to
    the hub, 'potentially' you should be able to do it yourself.
    If you do not have the hub info, you could probably download
    it from the manufacture site.

    A couple other things to consider. Was the rear skewer
    properly adjusted? If it was, and if you had that much play,
    did it possibly do some harm to the hub?