Problem with releasing my girlfriends front wheel

mlessor91

Jun 10, 2012
If this shows up twice sorry I hit done but didn't go through I don't think, doing it from iPhone :/ damn blocks on work computers. She has a 2012 zw95 I believe smallest size she's only 5'2" problem we have is we release the brake and with a full tire we have to kind of pop it from the brakes because it is still to tight, meaning it drags on sidewall of tire, is this not bad? We loosened up the brakes so she squeezes farther before engaging to make better. Our lbs said it won't do any damage, anyone else have this problem before. On my 2012 z85 after releasing brakes and quick release it drops out nice and easy, but it's also a 58cm. Any advice would be great! Thanks

How easily the wheels drop past the brake pads depends on the width of the tires and the amount of cable released by the quick release mechanism, as well as the gap between the pads and the rim. Fat tires are harder to get around. Some quick release mechanisms just don't loosen the cable that much. You will not damage the tire scuffing it past the pads, as long as you can do it with just hand force. Doing this with some older brake systems, you needed to beware of forcing the pads out of their holders, but that should not be a problem with the newer pads. Equipment has improved over the last 30 years.

Originally Posted by mlessor91 .

She has a 2012 zw95 I believe smallest size she's only 5'2" problem we have is we release the brake and with a full tire we have to kind of pop it from the brakes because it is still to tight, meaning it drags on sidewall of tire, is this not bad? We loosened up the brakes so she squeezes farther before engaging to make better. Our lbs said it won't do any damage, anyone else have this problem before. On my 2012 z85 after releasing brakes and quick release it drops out nice and easy, but it's also a 58cm. Any advice would be great!
Are you referring to a ROAD bike or a MTB?

What size tires does your GF's bike have?

What type and/or brand of brake calipers does the bike have?

I don't think the frame size should matter if the bike is set up properly, BTW.

It's a zw95 so a women's road bike, brakes etc I don't know off top of my head or at all really, felt bicycles . Com has the specs, it's just odd cuz I have a z85 road and they one off easy, we have 700x25 tires btw

Two Road bikes ...

Two sets of 700x25 tires ...

STEP 1. Remove YOUR bike's front wheel

STEP 2. Swap your front wheel for your GF's front wheel

• How easily-or-not did it fit?
STEP 3. Install your GF's front wheel on YOUR bike

• How easily-or-not did it fit?
STEP 4. Observe the brake pad offset on YOUR bike

STEP 5. Compare the brake pad offset on your GF's bike

STEP 6. Adjust the brake pad offset on your GF's bike.

DONE!?!

If your gf has a bike with brake handles that are women specific, you won't have as much clearance because of the brake handles. Generally women's hands are not as big as mens. Therefore a women's specific brake handle is made with the lever closer to the handlebar which limits the travel of the brake handle. Limiting the travel of the brake handle also limits how much loose brake cable there is when you release the brakes. If she does have women's specific brake levers, then you are either going to have to accept things the way that they are or replace her WS brake handles with standard brake handles.

FWIW. If it is an issue of the actual brake levers, then dare I say it?!?

The OBVIOUS solution, regardless of hand size, if any person needs-or-wants more brake pad clearance when installing-or-removing their wheels is to replace the current SHIFTERS with CAMPAGNOLO shifters ... doing so will (appoximately) double how far the calipers can be opened ...

Similarly, people who are already using Campagnolo shifters can install non-Campagnolo (!?!) brake calipers on their bike.

The other option is to lace wider rims onto the hubs (e.g., 622-17) ... doing so will result in the pads being re-set further apart when in a neutral position & thereby make it easier for the pads to clear the tire's sidewalls ...

OR, simply ignore the problem by installing 700x23 tires-and-tubes on your GF's bike!