Problem with Selle Italia Flite & Thompson Seatpost

serenaslu

Feb 3, 2004
I just got a new Selle Italia Flite (gel flow cutout) to replace an older style Flite that I have been using forever. I am having issues with angle adjustment with an older style Thomson Elite seatpost clamp. The new rails are ovalized. That combined with a flatter rail angle is not really allowing me to tip the seat as far forward as I would prefer without running out of rear bolt length on the clamp. Anyone else had any problems mounting this saddle?
I really like the zero offset Thomson. I know that the newer ones have a slightly different clamp, but the instructions still say "for 7mm rails only"; so not sure if it is any better. Any advice or experience appreciated.

serenaslu said:
I just got a new Selle Italia Flite (gel flow cutout) to replace an older style Flite that I have been using forever. I am having issues with angle adjustment with an older style Thomson Elite seatpost clamp. The new rails are ovalized. That combined with a flatter rail angle is not really allowing me to tip the seat as far forward as I would prefer without running out of rear bolt length on the clamp. Anyone else had any problems mounting this saddle?
I really like the zero offset Thomson. I know that the newer ones have a slightly different clamp, but the instructions still say "for 7mm rails only"; so not sure if it is any better. Any advice or experience appreciated.
I had a similar problem with a different two-bolt seatpost ...

And, try as I might, I also couldn't do anything with the "stock" bolt ...

In the end, I finally cannibalized another bolt-and-'nut' from another seatpost which I wasn't using whose bolt was long enough despite the head of the bolt not fitting in the particular seatpost's recess ...

But, the solution is to go to your LBS and buy a new, longer bolt. ... if they don't have one, then try an automotive supply shop (e.g., NAPA) ... OR, use an SAE bolt & 'nut'.