problem with setting up rear brake

robsy

Nov 29, 2006
I'm trying to set this rear brake but having problems. Its a road bike, single pivot and the problem i'm having when it seems to be al setup is that when i pull on the brake lever the blocks come together but upon release the inner cable does not spring back. The calliper 'seems' to work well, the spring is fine and they 'bounce' back ok without the cable attached. All else seems to be working fine and wondering whether this is common thing or not?

Cheers
Rob

robsy said:
I'm trying to set this rear brake but having problems. Its a road bike, single pivot and the problem i'm having when it seems to be al setup is that when i pull on the brake lever the blocks come together but upon release the inner cable does not spring back. The calliper 'seems' to work well, the spring is fine and they 'bounce' back ok without the cable attached. All else seems to be working fine and wondering whether this is common thing or not?

Cheers
Rob

Sounds like the cable is binding in the housing. Check to see that the cable moves freely through the housing and that there are no frayed areas, kinks or otherwise. Also check that there is no gummy grease/lube residue inside the housing. Flushing the housing with a spray lube like Tri-flow or similar may help. Last thing is to check the brake lever, although it is usually obvious if the lever is stuck.