Problem with Weight Rebound after a Workout

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by JTE83, Sep 5, 2012.

1. JTE83

JTE83 Member

After mostly quitting weight loss or weight control workouts since summer 2009, I gradually went from 145 lbs and was fluctuating to an unbearable 164.0 lbs this August 2012. So I said, that’s it – I gotta lose some weight! Being unemployed, I have the time to workout. I started with a 21.07 mi ride to break in my legs, then later that followed with 34 mi rides that wore out my legs at the end of the ride. Now after a couple 34 mi rides, I finally have the trained legs to do a 56 mile workout, - but I lack the motivation to ride that long.

Mostly, my bike workouts are on Chicago’s Lake Shore Drive bike path. Takes me 4.8 miles to bike to that start point at Olive Park from my Wicker Park home. Olive Park to Brywn Mawr on the bike path is a beautiful 7 mi ride! Lotsa scenery but I still listen to my iPod Nano’s music to keep from getting bored. Mostly, I’m limited to working out when it doesn’t rain and when it’s not very hot, like less than 88 F, or else I don’t work out. Last workout felt like 86F in HUMID weather – my glasses would slightly fog. Now the good thing with working out on a FAST roadbike is that you get a good breeze to cool you down… Beats running all the time.

Anyway, I wish ALL of my workout results were like my previous golden workout – a 34 mile ride that resulted in a 2 lb weight loss as measured the next 2 days! If you don’t gain your weight back after a workout the next few days then that’s a definite weight loss! My next day’s lunch after the workout was steak n eggs; and this is what I eat for lunch too directly before my workouts – low carbs so that I would get a good fat burn during the workout. I eat carbs for breakfast; like cookies and milk or protein powder.

But my problem is weight rebound after my workout days. I would do a 34 mi workout and next morning after I pee and strip to my underwear, - then I weigh myself… I would lose 2 lbs. But the next 1 or 2 days after the workout – I have to religiously control myself not to overeat, but I eat anything, and yet my weight rebounds from 1 lb to 2 lbs, sometimes resulting in no weight loss at all! So how do you control this weight rebound after a workout? Do you have to resort to eating so little? – Then you’re muscles won’t recover… Do you have to resort to no carbs then? What’s your experience and solution to weight rebound?

Tags:
    haleylx4 likes this.

2. jpr95

jpr95 Active Member

How tall are you? Male or female? How old are you?

Muscle is denser than fat and will often build more quickly than the fat will come off. Give it some time. Make sure you're getting plenty of protein, eat plenty of food throughout each day (5-6 small meals is better than 2-3 large ones), and give your metabolism some time to get with the program. Once it ramps up, then you'll be able to eat just about anything you want all the time and not gain any weight (get enough lean muscle and low body fat, and you'll just about HAVE to eat everything in sight).

3. JTE83

JTE83 Member

On my off ride days I do some weightlifting with my weider bench that has a lat bar + some free weights.

I'm an old time member here who used to post a long time ago back in 2004 to 2007, lost interest for some time. I'm a 43 year old male.
    5' 4" tall. 160.4 lbs - slightly overweight with love handles.

4. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Don't entertain the little criminal (He admitted to beating the crap out of a senior citizen.). Not only is he a little criminal, he's a freaking dimwit. A two pound weight loss from a ride isn't permanent unless you purposely keep yourself dehydrated. After all that's where the weight was lost. Go back through JTE83's posts. You'll find posts about his claims of 50 mile rides on BMX's at 30mph and pictures of him cross-dressing. Ask anyone that's been around the forum for a few years. They'll tell you all about the twerp.

5. Dave Cutter

Dave Cutter Active Member

I've been in the same cycling shoes as yourself... to some degree. I gained a bunch after quiting smoking. Last November I started watching what I ate... and continued through the holidays. I lost 12 pounds pretty easy and I figured when I started cycling in the spring the pounds would just melt off.... I was wrong.

On May 15th I downloaded an Android app that can run on a phone or tablet. It charts my weight/diet/exercise... everything. I've learned a BUNCH about both diet and exercise using the app and logging every bite I eat as well as my cycling (and now jogging) miles. Oh... yeah... I've also lost 50+ pounds too using the app.

Here is a tid-bit I picked up:
    1. A 160 person cycling say 1 1/2 hours at 15 mph may burn a few hundred calories... certainly less than 1000 calories.
    2. Losing a pound of body weight... requires removing by diet or exercise 3500 calories.
    3. A 150 pound man requires about 2250 calories a day.

If you do a little math... you can see if you ate NOTHING and rode... say 2 hours... you should lose one pound. What you thought you had lost was really just water/sweat. So after a little while you rehydrate... and no weight loss.

However... if you cut your diet down to a balanced healthy 1700 calories... and run and/or cycle regularly you should be able to drop a couple pounds a week...more or less. In three months you'll look like your old self. You will likely find you have picked up a bad diet/eating habit or two (like eating potato chips) and will be able change the things that caused your problem. Best of luck!

6. Dave Cutter

Oops.... I spent too long posting and editing! I missed your warning.

7. alienator

8. JTE83

JTE83 Member

9. Dave Cutter

Originally Posted by JTE83 .
    1. I really did have a 2 lb weight loss from a 34 mi ride. I kept WELL HYDRATED before and after the workout, and in the next 2 days too.
    2. I'm not a twerp or bad person either. My only odd thing is that I like crossdressing
    3. You should see Alienator - he posted an avatar of himself in another forum and HE IS UGLY

1. Maybe your scale needs calabrated or something. The math just doesn't work out for that.

2. I don't care you or anyone else wears. But.... the math still doesn't work for riding off two pounds of fat. It was likely just water weight.... and nothing more.

3. I bet alienator isn't half as ugly as I am (and has better bicycles)! Although... he is a bit of an pain.

10. alienator

Given JTE83's credibility problems, I'd say that "2lbs of permanent weight loss" is either a complete fabrication or JTE83 doesn't possess the faculties to read a weight scale.

11. Dave Cutter

I know weight... and/or the control of weight... is a big concern to many if not most cyclist. I even saw a video where Lance talks about the scale being a cyclist most important piece of equipment. With food being so conveniently processed and ready to eat now-a-days it is very easy to gain weight. I WISH... dropping weight was as simple as a 34 mile bicycle ride. I really enjoy a nice long ride! But the food/diet/nutrition part is complicated! Although a little self-education and discipline about diet.... along with exercise can make weight loss almost fun. Who can't enjoy taking control of their weight.

12. JTE83

JTE83 Member

I've been using my Tanita Body Fat Scale since 2004, it's a digital readout and it weighs within .2 lbs accurracy. No way was I off reading a 2 lb weight loss... I wish every 34 mile ride I did resulted in a dreamy 2 lb weight loss, - then in 10 rides I would have lost a dreamy 20 lbs... So it would be real good how to figure out how to prevent weight rebound after a workout.

13. Dave Cutter

There is no such thing as a "weight rebound". Fat does NOT magicly appear... or disappear.

14. jpr95

jpr95 Active Member

Really? Had it calibrated lately? Ever?

15. alienator

He might not know what that means. Besides, it doesn't matter: jte83 lives in a world where science, theory, and laws (criminal or physical) don't apply. It's a fantasy world where cats have big smiles and are invisible; hatters are mad; and where people can twinkle their noses and lose 2 permanent pounds in a 30 mile ride.

16. JSWin

JSWin Member

This post is funny. Thanks for all the info on the routine. Basically if you are trying to loose weight biking should be a supplement not the main. Walking and jogging should be the focus. Mostly people carry their weight in their mid-drift. The stomach area so you need to do the things that trim that down. This way once you get down you can add the bike.

17. Keyan

Keyan Member

I noticed that even if eat less and continue with the usual physical activities that I do like cycling and walking, my weight remains constant. I think coming of age is one of the reasons. When I was a teenager I eat a lot and I never gain anything and now that I am trying to limit my calorie intake it seems that nothing is really being achieved.