Problems As A Cyclist?

Unfortunately, I have some:

1. It's pretty cold to ride a bike during winter time.
2. The iced surface. I've gotta change my wheels.
3. My city is not amongst the most convenient ones to live and ride.

Anyway, I'm still on the road!

There are things called mirrors that do that job more than adequately.
I have a mirror on each of my helmets and wouldn't ride without them :)

I have to admit I don't recall ever seeing a bicycle with mirrors on before and I have definitely not seen a helmet with mirrors, so I'm not sure how that's going to work?

What's wrong with just looking over your shoulder, like we've been doing for centuries to see what's behind you?

I have to admit I don't recall ever seeing a bicycle with mirrors on before and I have definitely not seen a helmet with mirrors, so I'm not sure how that's going to work?

What's wrong with just looking over your shoulder, like we've been doing for centuries to see what's behind you?

While I have not seen a helmet with mirrors on I can just sort of imagine how it might work, but I can also see it would restrict your vision somewhat.

As for bikes, you can get mirrors for bikes and I've seen a few riding around with at least one on but like you I prefer the old method of looking over your shoulder. To me it feels much safer than putting your trust in the mirror. I know we do the same in cars and on motorbikes but I have to admit that even in my car I check the mirror and then have a look over my shoulder.

Our heads can turn, so make good use of it is what I say :D

When I stand to climb then sit back down on the seat, I managed to small my nutty buddies a few times. Maybe invent a device to hold them in place so they don't move when I stand and pedal. :lol:

That's actually what jockstraps were invented for.

Seriously? You've never seen a bike or helmet set up with a mirror???

Where do you live? Rhodesia?

Rear view mirrors have been installed on bikes as far back as I can remember and the eyeglass/helmet (often referred to as a 'Chuck Harris' mirror) mirror has been around since the 1960's IIRC and was very popular in my area of the globe in the early 1970's.

https://www.facebook.com/Chuck-Harris-The-Mirror-Man-434695303248672/

3360819299_6ce212a4ee_o.jpeg

Hub Bub is a local bike shop and used to sell the Chuck Harris mirrors (Chuck died in 2012) and now sell their own brand of eyeglass, hat, helmet mirrors.

mirror-on-atmos.jpg

Modern ordinary with a mirror.

commuter2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: pwarbi
Amish scooter bike with a rear view mirror.

IMG_0819.JPG

Dayamn! It even has a computer! Keep thyself plain, yo!

According to the interwebz, Chuck Harris had been "continuously manufacturing" his mirrors since 1970. I met Chuck in 1972 or 1973 at TOSRV. He was a genuine character, nice guy and one heck of a cyclist. He and Sheldon Brown were two of a kind.

No inspired genius would be caught dead in a shitmaNO hat!

627298_434814276570108_577439196_o.jpg

Reactions: pwarbi
Seriously! I've obviously seen motorbikes with rear view mirrors, it's illegal to ride one without them, but as far as push bikes are concerned I can honestly say I don't recall seeing one with them on.

Everydays a school day though I guess, so I'll be sure to look out for them in the future, even though I probably wouldn't ride a bike with them on.

Seriously? You've never seen a bike or helmet set up with a mirror???

Where do you live? Rhodesia?

Wow that is amazing! :D

I've seen bar end mirrors that are smaller than this one. I have bud that got one that is very inconspicuous. I didn't even realize it was there till he pointed it out. It's about the size of a bar end plug.

0mirro1.JPG

I also remember a mirror called "The Cheetah" years back. I "U" shaped mirror that straddled the down tube. A rider could look back by looking down. I thought it was a stupid design myself but it was out there. I couldn't find it with a search so maybe I wasn't the only one who thought it was a stupid idea. :p I couldn't find it so I scribbled in an image similar to the set up.
0mirro2.JPG

And for the boozers, I have seen a few of these out on the road!

0mirro3.JPG

That bike looks pretty painful to ride!

The bar end mirror looks pretty nice and I think those ones offer the best views. If you have some of those handle extensions that point up or down (sorry can't remember the name of them), would it be good to attach them to the end of them if you have them pointing up?

"Bar ends" are the extension thingies. I've never tried attaching a mirror on them and probably wouldn't as bar ends are used on my mountain bike for leverage while climbing.
0MTB2009G_zpsecgyuhhr.jpg

Reactions: Susimi
My creative side is starting to show. I might have to give this a try and see if it works in any way :D

Nice picture also :)

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
The bar end mirrors do look like a beat idea to be honest, but like you say, I'm not sure how long they'd actually last. The bar ends take a fair bit of abuse on most bikes and I have a feeling you'd be constantly replacing the mirrors.