Problems installing Front Mech

NickXTC

Jan 13, 2006
I have just bought a Shimano Deore Front Mech and have installed it, but I am finding that when the unit is is on the large ring, the inside of the changer rests on the second ring.

It is quite hard to explain, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to rectify this problem.

Cheers

NickXTC said:
I have just bought a Shimano Deore Front Mech and have installed it, but I am finding that when the unit is is on the large ring, the inside of the changer rests on the second ring.

It is quite hard to explain, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to rectify this problem.

Cheers
you mean that your mech is actually in contact with your middle ring?

move it higher!

your front mech is the most difficult thing on a bike to adjust. Its trial and error.

bolt the thing to your frame, stick the shifter in the small ring position and move the mech with your fingers away from the frame until it is between your smaller and middle chainring. You'll feel the spring in the mech push against your fingers. Pulll the cable as tight as you can through the front mech screw clamp without moving the mech any further and tighten the cable bolt.

let the mech go and see if it needs to be loosened or tightened. Then at least you are at a good starting point for fine adjustment.