Problems mounting Avid Mechanical Discs on Cannondale F1000 MTB

Dana VanDen Heuvel

Guest
I'm having some "spacing problems" when mounting my new Avid
mechanical disc brakes (2002), on a 2000 cannondale f1000sl (disc
capable) with Bontrager disc-specific wheels.

With regard to the rear brake, it's as if there needs to be a spacer
between the rotor and the mounting bracket on the hub, because the
rotor "doesn't come out far enough" to be able to be centered in the
caliper, which is adjusted all the way "in" toward the hub, in fact,
it rubs to the point of binding on the "stationary" pad (toward the
hub). I have tried to space the caliper in toward the hub with
regular washers, but even that doesn't afford enough spacing - it's as
if the rotor needs to come out about 3-5mm as well.

Has anyone ever run into this? Do you know if Bontrager/Avid make
spacers for this type of issue?

Thanks!

Dana

Dana VanDen Heuvel wrote:

> I'm having some "spacing problems" when mounting my new Avid
> mechanical disc brakes (2002), on a 2000 cannondale f1000sl (disc
> capable) with Bontrager disc-specific wheels.
>
> With regard to the rear brake, it's as if there needs to be a spacer
> between the rotor and the mounting bracket on the hub, because the
> rotor "doesn't come out far enough" to be able to be centered in the
> caliper, which is adjusted all the way "in" toward the hub, in fact,
> it rubs to the point of binding on the "stationary" pad (toward the
> hub). I have tried to space the caliper in toward the hub with
> regular washers, but even that doesn't afford enough spacing - it's as
> if the rotor needs to come out about 3-5mm as well.
>
> Has anyone ever run into this? Do you know if Bontrager/Avid make
> spacers for this type of issue?

Cannondale frames and forks frequently require a 3mm spacer between the caliper and
mounting tabs.

S R Sharp wrote:

> Cannondale frames and forks frequently require a 3mm spacer between the caliper and
> mounting tabs.

If using a non-Cannondale wheelset (which you are) you may also need a spacer between the
hub and rotor, I believe Magura makes such a beast.