Problems mounting Avid Mechanical Discs on Cannondale F1000 MTB

Dana Vanden Heu

Guest
I'm having some "spacing problems" when mounting my new Avid
mechanical disc brakes (2002), on a 2000 cannondale f1000sl
(disc capable) with Bontrager disc-specific wheels.

With regard to the rear brake, it's as if there needs to be
a spacer between the rotor and the mounting bracket on the
hub, because the rotor "doesn't come out far enough" to be
able to be centered in the caliper, which is adjusted all
the way "in" toward the hub, in fact, it rubs to the point
of binding on the "stationary" pad (toward the hub). I have
tried to space the caliper in toward the hub with regular
washers, but even that doesn't afford enough spacing - it's
as if the rotor needs to come out about 3-5mm as well.

Has anyone ever run into this? Do you know if Bontrager/Avid
make spacers for this type of issue?

Thanks!

Dana

Dana VanDen Heuvel wrote:

> I'm having some "spacing problems" when mounting my new
> Avid mechanical disc brakes (2002), on a 2000
> cannondale f1000sl (disc capable) with Bontrager disc-
> specific wheels.
>
> With regard to the rear brake, it's as if there needs to
> be a spacer between the rotor and the mounting bracket on
> the hub, because the rotor "doesn't come out far enough"
> to be able to be centered in the caliper, which is
> adjusted all the way "in" toward the hub, in fact, it rubs
> to the point of binding on the "stationary" pad (toward
> the hub). I have tried to space the caliper in toward the
> hub with regular washers, but even that doesn't afford
> enough spacing - it's as if the rotor needs to come out
> about 3-5mm as well.
>
> Has anyone ever run into this? Do you know if
> Bontrager/Avid make spacers for this type of issue?

Cannondale frames and forks frequently require a 3mm spacer
between the caliper and mounting tabs.

http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the
World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different
Servers! =-----

S R Sharp wrote:

> Cannondale frames and forks frequently require a 3mm
> spacer between the caliper and mounting tabs.

If using a non-Cannondale wheelset (which you are) you may
also need a spacer between the hub and rotor, I believe
Magura makes such a beast.