problems sleeping after exercise.

tomUK

Oct 20, 2003
Last night at 6pm I did a fairly easy workout. Basically 15 minutes at 100bpm then 15 minutes at 120bpm then finally 15 minutes at 100bpm. I went to bed at 11:30pm. For some reason I didn't sleep too well.

I know that overtraining can causes this, however, does anyone have experience with doing light exercise and not sleeping well afterwards. This isn't the first time it has happened to me. Actually, I find that it happens most of the time.

Any help would be greatfully received.

I regularly experience this problem after any kind of exercise. Unfortunately I don't have any magic solutions. However, I do find that having some toast before going to bed helps a little, sometimes a glass of red wine can also help and finally reading in bed for a while helps send me off to sleep.

tomUK said:
Last night at 6pm I did a fairly easy workout. Basically 15 minutes at 100bpm then 15 minutes at 120bpm then finally 15 minutes at 100bpm. I went to bed at 11:30pm. For some reason I didn't sleep too well.

I know that overtraining can causes this, however, does anyone have experience with doing light exercise and not sleeping well afterwards. This isn't the first time it has happened to me. Actually, I find that it happens most of the time.

I have the same issue, excercising late, it keeps me up for a while. Simple solution, do not excercise too late. :)
I reckon your metabolism is "high" and you do not feel sleepy? Or is the endorphines you release while training? Just guessing here, maybe someone can come with a more educated opinion?

I train in the mornings, but work stress will often prevent me from falling asleep quickly.

I have been using an herbal supplement called Valerian Root and I will use an effervescent magnesium supplement on really bad nights when I am really geared up. I take the supplements about 30 minutes before bedtime and there have not been any negative side effects like taking OC sleep aids that can make you feel groggy in the morning. The Valerian Root is inexpensive, has a calming effect and can be found in many health food stores.

Exercise increases brain-chemicals like dopamine, noradrenaline and serotonin. Dopamine and noradrenaline are energizer brain chemicals and when you exercise a lot before bed you might feel too awaken and also if we don't eeat enough carbs we might not have a good sleep

worldgod

tomUK said:

In addition to previously stated supplements, green tea contains L-Theanine which is a non-protein amino that is purportedly said to have a calming effect. (decaffienated tea of course) :)

tomUK said:

Hello tomUK, mate thats not a light workout, thats my BPM when I'm playing tiddlywinks or slicing bread for me sandwiches....:D ?
Seriously now, I reccomend meditation for anyone no matter how old or young, it stills the mind, thus allowing complete relaxation and therefore sleep as well.
Camomile Tea is a very good calmnative too, (get it from the health food shop down the road) boil the kettle, slip the tea bag into the cup, let it stand for five minutes and drink it half an hour before you retire and remember, bed is for sleeping, not reading or watching TV and other such pursuits.;) Works for me...?