problems to get a high heart rate

smallyke

Mar 6, 2004
i can cycle for 1 hour at heart rate 164 my maximum is over 190.
But theirs no way i can get even near 180 in cycling for a couple of minutes let alone for intervalls to strengthen the heart.

I can do that without problems for rowing.

What is the reason to this?

Any training to get above this.MOre hours of base training a higher pace at base training now(130) or could a normal human do already reps at that pace without even training. Or do you need to train lots of endurance first.Have big uppe legs ....

i'd love to train for track one day.
But at this moment that is out of the question i guess.

smallyke said:
... my maximum is over 190. But theirs no way i can get even near 180 in cycling for a couple of minutes let alone for intervalls to strengthen the heart. I can do that without problems for rowing. What is the reason to this?

i'd love to train for track one day. But at this moment that is out of the question i guess.
Until the more qualified coaches and/or exercise physiologists respond, my understanding is that you get higher max HRs as more muscles are involved. Since rowing utilizes much more muscle mass than cycling (i.e. you're using your upper body as well as your legs), it follows that you will have seen higher MaxHR while rowing.
I don't see anything in your post which would preclude your training for track cycling; since most rowers are relatively large, I suspect you have the size and muscles required for the strength events in track (i.e. kilo, sprints, keirin).