Problems w/ Backpacks/camelbaks

college kid

Oct 12, 2004
Hey everyone! i am designing a backpack for cycling and I need some feedback, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. The backpack will be intended mostly for cycling and the design will be more for ergonomics and weight distribution than aesthetics. Any ideas or problems that you have with backpacks or camelbaks will be a great help to me. Thanks!

If you could come up with a good way to keep your back cool, you'd be better than 99% of the stuff out there.

RobotDeathSquad said:
If you could come up with a good way to keep your back cool, you'd be better than 99% of the stuff out there.
Thanks for replying, that is definetly an interesting idea that i wil research. I do know that the NFL uses a cooling/heating system that consists of hoses that run throughout the shoulder pads. While on the sidelines a player can hook up to a system that runs cold or hot water through the lines to cool them down or heat them up. It is definetly possible to take the same concept and put into a backpack. Thanks for the input, if you have any other ideas or problems you have found with similar products on the market, please reply. Anything will be benefial to me.

Good aerodynamics, good cooling abilities, low weight (aside from water), good ergonomic position, etc.

I must say I don't have a single gripe about my Camelback.

Perhaps tweaking the camelbak design to be longer and narrower. Benefits would be to distribute weight over upper & lower back for better balance on the bike, + perhaps a smaller width would help with airflow and minimize the hot sweaty feeling.

And I'm assuming you're going to cut us all in on the royalties, do you want bank account #'s, home address, ....?? :confused:

the only thing I dislike about my pack is that it rides up once I get low..

It ends up sitting behind/under the back of my helment...

While that may be ok/good for aero, it does not feel the least bit comfy...

Stability is a big issue. Even with the belt and sternum straps, my current backpack tends to shift side to side a lot going around corners.