problems with bike computer wires

*Alice

Oct 3, 2004
i was really clumsy tonight. I accidently dropped my bike on the ground and the computer wire snapped... i didn't even get to test it out. :(
How do you guys keep your wire safe?

p.s. please don't tell me to switch to wireless. I originally had a wireless and they gave me innaccurate results (delay).

thank you.

*Alice said:
i was really clumsy tonight. I accidently dropped my bike on the ground and the computer wire snapped... i didn't even get to test it out. :(

p.s. please don't tell me to switch to wireless. I originally had a wireless and they gave me innaccurate results (delay).

thank you.

The only tricks I know are as follows:
1 Use a small tiewrap the attach the wire to the exposed part of the brake cable at the front brake
2 Use electrical tape to keep the wire in place along the front fork
3 wrap the wire around the front brake housing all the way up to near the stem
4. if there is a lot of wire left over (and if you are changing bar tape) run the excess under the bar tape and back out to the computer.

huh? What part of your wire is in a place to absorb that kind of impact?

*Alice said:

thank you.

umm..
i followed the instructions on the diagram...
'n the wire snapped right there (red arrow)
p.s. the wire was kinda short.

Ahh... yep, wrapping the wire around your front break wire, and leaving a bit of 'play' above your fork (i.e. you should be able to turn your bars all the way L and R w/o stressing the cable) should do the trick.

Somewhere on this forum, someone posted brilliant and very readable instructions about using shrink wrap to keep wires on the bike in place. I'll see if I can find it if you're interested.

I wrapped on the cables as well, that way, if it falls the cable will move before it makes enough pressure to cut.
Also, I ran it on the inside of my stays- no problems at all