Problems with clipless pedals

I seem to have problems riding in rough territory using clipless pedals, and even when I ride my
road bike in town I have problems with them. Is there any brand that is easier to use? I have spd
shimono type now. If I loosened the tension would that be better? I hate having to bail off the bike
because I can't unclip fast enough...

"x" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:5R9G9.20167$EY.14673@fe01...
> I seem to have problems riding in rough territory using clipless pedals,
and
> even when I ride my road bike in town I have problems with them. Is there any brand that is easier
> to use? I have spd shimono type now. If I
loosened
> the tension would that be better? I hate having to bail off the bike
because
> I can't unclip fast enough...

Loosen them up as much as possible till you're comfortable with them. Once you've mastered them,
you'll probably start ratcheting them down tighter to keep from popping out prematurely.
--
Slacker

"x" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:5R9G9.20167$EY.14673@fe01...
> I seem to have problems riding in rough territory using clipless pedals,
and
> even when I ride my road bike in town I have problems with them. Is there any brand that is easier
> to use? I have spd shimono type now. If I
loosened
> the tension would that be better? I hate having to bail off the bike
because
> I can't unclip fast enough...

I've never had a problem unclipping from Shimano SPD unless the pedal is damaged in some way (I've
bent a couple on rocks). I found the trick is to twist your foot quickly - to make the action a sort
of "flick" if you see what I mean. Otherwise, you might like to try multirelease cleats which you
can escape from by rolling your foot sideways, but first try winding the tension right down as
Slacker said.

Andy Chequer

Yes try using the SH-55 multi-release cleats on your shoes, as Andy mentioned.

--
- Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

"x" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:5R9G9.20167$EY.14673@fe01...
> I seem to have problems riding in rough territory using clipless pedals,
and
> even when I ride my road bike in town I have problems with them. Is there any brand that is easier
> to use? I have spd shimono type now. If I
loosened
> the tension would that be better? I hate having to bail off the bike
because
> I can't unclip fast enough...

"x" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:5R9G9.20167$EY.14673@fe01...
> I seem to have problems riding in rough territory using clipless pedals,
and
> even when I ride my road bike in town I have problems with them. Is there any brand that is easier
> to use? I have spd shimono type now. If I
loosened
> the tension would that be better? I hate having to bail off the bike
because
> I can't unclip fast enough...

The bottomline is this... riding with your feet attached to the bike is a recipe for disaster no
matter how you describe it. Just get some saddle time with your pedals and practice clipping and
unclipping (I actually just brought the bike into the house and watched baseball on tv. I'd prop the
bike up, hop on and practice.

Practice. You'll get the hang of it.

Marty

loosen the tension like all the other guys mentioned. also, u may want to replace the cleats if they
are old. this may sound weird, but old cleats are actually harder to clip out than new ones. that's
because old ones may have developed uneven edges and you are likely to get them caught while trying
to clip them out. if they look worn or jagged on the edges, replace them. the new ones will be
smoother and easier to clip out. but play with the tension first. that will help.

"x" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:5R9G9.20167$EY.14673@fe01...
> I seem to have problems riding in rough territory using clipless pedals,
and
> even when I ride my road bike in town I have problems with them. Is there any brand that is easier
> to use? I have spd shimono type now. If I
loosened
> the tension would that be better? I hate having to bail off the bike
because
> I can't unclip fast enough...

"x" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:5R9G9.20167$EY.14673@fe01...
> I seem to have problems riding in rough territory using clipless pedals,
and
> even when I ride my road bike in town I have problems with them. Is there any brand that is easier
> to use? I have spd shimono type now. If I
loosened
> the tension would that be better? I hate having to bail off the bike
because
> I can't unclip fast enough...

I keep mine really loose, fwiw

"x" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<5R9G9.20167$EY.14673@fe01>...
> I seem to have problems riding in rough territory using clipless pedals, and even when I ride my
> road bike in town I have problems with them. Is there any brand that is easier to use? I have spd
> shimono type now. If I loosened the tension would that be better? I hate having to bail off the
> bike because I can't unclip fast enough...

What are these clipless pedals that some speak of?

"x" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<5R9G9.20167$EY.14673@fe01>...
> I seem to have problems riding in rough territory using clipless pedals, and even when I ride my
> road bike in town I have problems with them. Is there any brand that is easier to use? I have spd
> shimono type now. If I loosened the tension would that be better? I hate having to bail off the
> bike because I can't unclip fast enough...

Who is the manufacturer of your pedals? Certain manufacturers, namely Bontrager, specify using their
cleats even though the pedal system is SPD. Do you lubricate the SPD mechanism and/or cleat on a
regular basis? Try loosening the release mechanism to the lightest tension. How is the clearance
around the cleat on the sole of your shoe? Are you using platform SPD pedals? You might need a riser
kit to give your cleat more clearance. AXO sells a kit called a Spud Spacer specifically for this
purpose. I got mine at Alfred E Bike out of Michigan. It was $20 US, but it makes all the difference
in the world with my Shimano 646's.

x <[email protected]> wrote in message news:5R9G9.20167$EY.14673@fe01...
> I seem to have problems riding in rough territory using clipless pedals,
and
> even when I ride my road bike in town I have problems with them. Is there any brand that is easier
> to use? I have spd shimono type now. If I
loosened
> the tension would that be better? I hate having to bail off the bike
because
> I can't unclip fast enough...

Throw them away and buy some flat pedals EOFS.

Shaun aRe

"x" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:5R9G9.20167$EY.14673@fe01...
> I seem to have problems riding in rough territory using clipless pedals,
and
> even when I ride my road bike in town I have problems with them. Is there any brand that is easier
> to use? I have spd shimono type now. If I
loosened
> the tension would that be better? I hate having to bail off the bike
because
> I can't unclip fast enough...

I've been following this post because I've though I might try going clipless at some point. I'm
worried about not being able to get "unstuck" from my bike before I end up on the ground. Since I
took a skills clinic and got over my fear of speeding downhill, I've been taking hills faster and
faster. But sometimes on rocky terrain with the flat pedals I feel like my feet are getting bounced
off the pedals and slipping towards the outside edge of the pedal. I haven't had a spill yet but I
feel like if my foot slips off that pedal that I'm going down hard. Any advice?

On Sat, 30 Nov 2002 18:55:47 -0500, "Martees" <[email protected]> wrote:

[snip]
>The bottomline is this... riding with your feet attached to the bike is a recipe for disaster no
>matter how you describe it.

I must respectfully disagree completely. In fact I will say the opposite. Riding with you feet
attached is much safer due to greater control of the bike as a whole.

Learn to ride clipless at all cost and wear a helmet.

:-]

> What are these clipless pedals that some speak of?

Pedals that have a locking mechanism that grips a metal cleat on the bottom of a shoe specially
designed for it. This way you can turn both pedals through a full circle applying force through the
whole rotation, rather than just alternately pushing down with left, down with right, down with
left, etc. etc.

The problem is that with the pedal having a hold on the bottom of your shoe, it is a knack to learn
how to disengage them quickly. I fell over four times on a single short ride because I'd stop, go to
put my foot down, and not be able to get my foot off the pedal.

They are invaluable, especially on climbs, but take a lot of getting used to.

Trentus

Andy Chequer <bicycle.repair.man@(removethisbittosend)secretworldgovernment.org> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "x" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:5R9G9.20167$EY.14673@fe01...
> > I seem to have problems riding in rough territory using clipless pedals,
> and
> > even when I ride my road bike in town I have problems with them. Is
there
> > any brand that is easier to use? I have spd shimono type now. If I
> loosened
> > the tension would that be better? I hate having to bail off the bike
> because
> > I can't unclip fast enough...
>
> I've never had a problem unclipping from Shimano SPD unless the pedal is damaged in some way (I've
> bent a couple on rocks). I found the trick is to twist your foot quickly - to make the action a
> sort of "flick" if you see what I mean. Otherwise, you might like to try multirelease cleats which
you
> can escape from by rolling your foot sideways, but first try winding the tension right down as
> Slacker said.

Or try the very good, truly multi-release 'No-Cleats' that I use. I never had a problem releasing.

Shaun aRe

R.White <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "x" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<5R9G9.20167$EY.14673@fe01>...
> > I seem to have problems riding in rough territory using clipless pedals,
and
> > even when I ride my road bike in town I have problems with them. Is
there
> > any brand that is easier to use? I have spd shimono type now. If I
loosened
> > the tension would that be better? I hate having to bail off the bike
because
> > I can't unclip fast enough...

> What are these clipless pedals that some speak of?

GRS.

Shaun aRe

"Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "x" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:5R9G9.20167$EY.14673@fe01...
> > I seem to have problems riding in rough territory using clipless pedals,
> and
> > even when I ride my road bike in town I have problems with them. Is
there
> > any brand that is easier to use? I have spd shimono type now. If I
> loosened
> > the tension would that be better? I hate having to bail off the bike
> because
> > I can't unclip fast enough...

> I've been following this post because I've though I might try going
clipless
> at some point. I'm worried about not being able to get "unstuck" from my bike before I
end
> up on the ground. Since I took a skills clinic and got over my fear of speeding downhill, I've
> been taking hills faster and faster. But
sometimes
> on rocky terrain with the flat pedals I feel like my feet are getting bounced off the pedals and
> slipping towards the outside edge of the pedal. I haven't had a spill yet but I feel like if my
> foot slips off that pedal that I'm going down hard. Any advice?

If you get SPDs, I would suggest the multi-release cleats. M-something. You will probably fall in
the beginning, so stay away from cactus and cliffs. I like my clipless for exactly the same reason
you mentioned, keeping my feet on the pedals in the rough stuff, but lots of other guys seem to do
just as well without. I personally do not know anyone who went to clipless, then went back, but I'm
sure they exist.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

"Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "x" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:5R9G9.20167$EY.14673@fe01...
> > I seem to have problems riding in rough territory using clipless pedals,
> and
> > even when I ride my road bike in town I have problems with them. Is
there
> > any brand that is easier to use? I have spd shimono type now. If I
> loosened
> > the tension would that be better? I hate having to bail off the bike
> because
> > I can't unclip fast enough...

> I've been following this post because I've though I might try going
clipless
> at some point. I'm worried about not being able to get "unstuck" from my bike before I
end
> up on the ground. Since I took a skills clinic and got over my fear of speeding downhill, I've
> been taking hills faster and faster. But
sometimes
> on rocky terrain with the flat pedals I feel like my feet are getting bounced off the pedals and
> slipping towards the outside edge of the pedal. I haven't had a spill yet but I feel like if my
> foot slips off that pedal that I'm going down hard. Any advice?

I admit I am seriously 'bunny hop challenged' never having learned to ride flats but I really like
SPD's especially over toe clips/straps. You can get the best of both (sort of) with Shimano 646 type
pedals which combine flats with SPD's one problem with these is they don't work well with aggressive
soled shoes and they are heavy. I run these on my DH bikes with 'skater' flat soled shoes. I tried
Shimano DX flat pedals on my DH bike and kept getting bounced around like you, mostly winding up
with my heels on the pedals. This forced me to have to sit and reposition my feet which is less than
convenient while DHing. I might give Shauns half clips a try.

On my XC bike I have the new Shimano 959's I have been very happy with them even in muddy
conditions. I have been stuck on occasion as the cleats can behave unpredictably when the get worn
out. The last time I was riding up a old brick sidewalk and spun out on some leaves. I went to put a
foot down and my right foot wouldn't release I pulled again, harder (mistake) and the action caused
me to fall over down a 15 foot nearly vertical bank. (John Morgan knows the one at Forest Hill Park
with the 'step' about 1/3 of the way up.) 99.9% of the time I have no problems unclipping and find
putting a foot down easy.

Mike

"Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've been following this post because I've though I might try going
clipless
> at some point. I'm worried about not being able to get "unstuck" from my bike before I
end
> up on the ground. Since I took a skills clinic and got over my fear of speeding downhill, I've
> been taking hills faster and faster. But
sometimes
> on rocky terrain with the flat pedals I feel like my feet are getting bounced off the pedals and
> slipping towards the outside edge of the pedal. I haven't had a spill yet but I feel like if my
> foot slips off that pedal that I'm going down hard. Any advice?

go for it, you will never regret it.

Penny S

"Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "x" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:5R9G9.20167$EY.14673@fe01...
> > I seem to have problems riding in rough territory using clipless pedals,
> and
> > even when I ride my road bike in town I have problems with them. Is
there
> > any brand that is easier to use? I have spd shimono type now. If I
> loosened
> > the tension would that be better? I hate having to bail off the bike
> because
> > I can't unclip fast enough...

> I've been following this post because I've though I might try going
clipless
> at some point. I'm worried about not being able to get "unstuck" from my bike before I
end
> up on the ground. Since I took a skills clinic and got over my fear of speeding downhill, I've
> been taking hills faster and faster. But
sometimes
> on rocky terrain with the flat pedals I feel like my feet are getting bounced off the pedals and
> slipping towards the outside edge of the pedal. I haven't had a spill yet but I feel like if my
> foot slips off that pedal that I'm going down hard. Any advice?

CG,

I highly recommend NOT falling. Falling is to be avoided. Falling bad........

There are arguments for and against. Personally, I like the control I have over the bike. I'm not
good enough to bunny hop or lift the rear wheel without the clips and they DO keep you in positive
contact over the rough stuff.

I bought a cheap pair of Nashbar SPD's about two years ago and I love em. But hey that's me.

Good luck.

Marty

> On Sat, 30 Nov 2002 18:55:47 -0500, "Martees" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> [snip]
> >The bottomline is this... riding with your feet attached to the bike is a recipe for disaster no
> >matter how you describe it.
>
> I must respectfully disagree completely. In fact I will say the opposite. Riding with you feet
> attached is much safer due to greater control of the bike as a whole.
>
> Learn to ride clipless at all cost and wear a helmet.
>
> Peace, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the
> mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
> :-]

Ok. Point taken Bill. Let's just say that to me it was an unnatural act when I started but now it's
second nature. You're absolutely right. The control over the bike created by the "attachment" is
unbeatable BUT it's a learned effect. It was the "getting used to" part that I was pointing out.

Thanks!

Marty