Problems with clipless pedals

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by X, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. X

    X Guest

    I seem to have problems riding in rough territory using clipless pedals, and even when I ride my
    road bike in town I have problems with them. Is there any brand that is easier to use? I have spd
    shimono type now. If I loosened the tension would that be better? I hate having to bail off the bike
    because I can't unclip fast enough...

  2. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "x" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I seem to have problems riding in rough territory using clipless pedals,
    and
    > even when I ride my road bike in town I have problems with them. Is there any brand that is easier
    > to use? I have spd shimono type now. If I
    loosened
    > the tension would that be better? I hate having to bail off the bike
    because
    > I can't unclip fast enough...

    Loosen them up as much as possible till you're comfortable with them. Once you've mastered them,
    you'll probably start ratcheting them down tighter to keep from popping out prematurely.
    --
    Slacker

  3. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    "x" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I seem to have problems riding in rough territory using clipless pedals,
    and
    > even when I ride my road bike in town I have problems with them. Is there any brand that is easier
    > to use? I have spd shimono type now. If I
    loosened
    > the tension would that be better? I hate having to bail off the bike
    because
    > I can't unclip fast enough...

    I've never had a problem unclipping from Shimano SPD unless the pedal is damaged in some way (I've
    bent a couple on rocks). I found the trick is to twist your foot quickly - to make the action a sort
    of "flick" if you see what I mean. Otherwise, you might like to try multirelease cleats which you
    can escape from by rolling your foot sideways, but first try winding the tension right down as
    Slacker said.

    Andy Chequer

  4. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    Yes try using the SH-55 multi-release cleats on your shoes, as Andy mentioned.

    --
    - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

    "x" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I seem to have problems riding in rough territory using clipless pedals,
    and
    > even when I ride my road bike in town I have problems with them. Is there any brand that is easier
    > to use? I have spd shimono type now. If I
    loosened
    > the tension would that be better? I hate having to bail off the bike
    because
    > I can't unclip fast enough...

  5. Martees

    Martees Guest

    "x" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I seem to have problems riding in rough territory using clipless pedals,
    and
    > even when I ride my road bike in town I have problems with them. Is there any brand that is easier
    > to use? I have spd shimono type now. If I
    loosened
    > the tension would that be better? I hate having to bail off the bike
    because
    > I can't unclip fast enough...

    The bottomline is this... riding with your feet attached to the bike is a recipe for disaster no
    matter how you describe it. Just get some saddle time with your pedals and practice clipping and
    unclipping (I actually just brought the bike into the house and watched baseball on tv. I'd prop the
    bike up, hop on and practice.

    Practice. You'll get the hang of it.

    Marty

  6. Crazydave

    Crazydave Guest

    loosen the tension like all the other guys mentioned. also, u may want to replace the cleats if they
    are old. this may sound weird, but old cleats are actually harder to clip out than new ones. that's
    because old ones may have developed uneven edges and you are likely to get them caught while trying
    to clip them out. if they look worn or jagged on the edges, replace them. the new ones will be
    smoother and easier to clip out. but play with the tension first. that will help.

    "x" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I seem to have problems riding in rough territory using clipless pedals,
    and
    > even when I ride my road bike in town I have problems with them. Is there any brand that is easier
    > to use? I have spd shimono type now. If I
    loosened
    > the tension would that be better? I hate having to bail off the bike
    because
    > I can't unclip fast enough...

  7. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    "x" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I seem to have problems riding in rough territory using clipless pedals,
    and
    > even when I ride my road bike in town I have problems with them. Is there any brand that is easier
    > to use? I have spd shimono type now. If I
    loosened
    > the tension would that be better? I hate having to bail off the bike
    because
    > I can't unclip fast enough...

    I keep mine really loose, fwiw

    1ยข

  8. R.White

    R.White Guest

    "x" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I seem to have problems riding in rough territory using clipless pedals, and even when I ride my
    > road bike in town I have problems with them. Is there any brand that is easier to use? I have spd
    > shimono type now. If I loosened the tension would that be better? I hate having to bail off the
    > bike because I can't unclip fast enough...

    What are these clipless pedals that some speak of?

  9. N_a_j

    N_a_j Guest

    "x" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I seem to have problems riding in rough territory using clipless pedals, and even when I ride my
    > road bike in town I have problems with them. Is there any brand that is easier to use? I have spd
    > shimono type now. If I loosened the tension would that be better? I hate having to bail off the
    > bike because I can't unclip fast enough...

    Who is the manufacturer of your pedals? Certain manufacturers, namely Bontrager, specify using their
    cleats even though the pedal system is SPD. Do you lubricate the SPD mechanism and/or cleat on a
    regular basis? Try loosening the release mechanism to the lightest tension. How is the clearance
    around the cleat on the sole of your shoe? Are you using platform SPD pedals? You might need a riser
    kit to give your cleat more clearance. AXO sells a kit called a Spud Spacer specifically for this
    purpose. I got mine at Alfred E Bike out of Michigan. It was $20 US, but it makes all the difference
    in the world with my Shimano 646's.

  10. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    x <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I seem to have problems riding in rough territory using clipless pedals,
    and
    > even when I ride my road bike in town I have problems with them. Is there any brand that is easier
    > to use? I have spd shimono type now. If I
    loosened
    > the tension would that be better? I hate having to bail off the bike
    because
    > I can't unclip fast enough...

    Throw them away and buy some flat pedals EOFS.

    Shaun aRe

  11. Cinder Girl

    Cinder Girl Guest

    "x" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I seem to have problems riding in rough territory using clipless pedals,
    and
    > even when I ride my road bike in town I have problems with them. Is there any brand that is easier
    > to use? I have spd shimono type now. If I
    loosened
    > the tension would that be better? I hate having to bail off the bike
    because
    > I can't unclip fast enough...

    I've been following this post because I've though I might try going clipless at some point. I'm
    worried about not being able to get "unstuck" from my bike before I end up on the ground. Since I
    took a skills clinic and got over my fear of speeding downhill, I've been taking hills faster and
    faster. But sometimes on rocky terrain with the flat pedals I feel like my feet are getting bounced
    off the pedals and slipping towards the outside edge of the pedal. I haven't had a spill yet but I
    feel like if my foot slips off that pedal that I'm going down hard. Any advice?

  12. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Sat, 30 Nov 2002 18:55:47 -0500, "Martees" <[email protected]> wrote:

    [snip]
    >The bottomline is this... riding with your feet attached to the bike is a recipe for disaster no
    >matter how you describe it.

    I must respectfully disagree completely. In fact I will say the opposite. Riding with you feet
    attached is much safer due to greater control of the bike as a whole.

    Learn to ride clipless at all cost and wear a helmet.

    :-]

  13. Trentus

    Trentus Guest

    > What are these clipless pedals that some speak of?

    Pedals that have a locking mechanism that grips a metal cleat on the bottom of a shoe specially
    designed for it. This way you can turn both pedals through a full circle applying force through the
    whole rotation, rather than just alternately pushing down with left, down with right, down with
    left, etc. etc.

    The problem is that with the pedal having a hold on the bottom of your shoe, it is a knack to learn
    how to disengage them quickly. I fell over four times on a single short ride because I'd stop, go to
    put my foot down, and not be able to get my foot off the pedal.

    They are invaluable, especially on climbs, but take a lot of getting used to.

    Trentus

  14. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Andy Chequer <[email protected](removethisbittosend)secretworldgovernment.org> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "x" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I seem to have problems riding in rough territory using clipless pedals,
    > and
    > > even when I ride my road bike in town I have problems with them. Is
    there
    > > any brand that is easier to use? I have spd shimono type now. If I
    > loosened
    > > the tension would that be better? I hate having to bail off the bike
    > because
    > > I can't unclip fast enough...
    >
    > I've never had a problem unclipping from Shimano SPD unless the pedal is damaged in some way (I've
    > bent a couple on rocks). I found the trick is to twist your foot quickly - to make the action a
    > sort of "flick" if you see what I mean. Otherwise, you might like to try multirelease cleats which
    you
    > can escape from by rolling your foot sideways, but first try winding the tension right down as
    > Slacker said.

    Or try the very good, truly multi-release 'No-Cleats' that I use. I never had a problem releasing.

    Shaun aRe

  15. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    R.White <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "x" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I seem to have problems riding in rough territory using clipless pedals,
    and
    > > even when I ride my road bike in town I have problems with them. Is
    there
    > > any brand that is easier to use? I have spd shimono type now. If I
    loosened
    > > the tension would that be better? I hate having to bail off the bike
    because
    > > I can't unclip fast enough...

    > What are these clipless pedals that some speak of?

    GRS.

    Shaun aRe

  16. "Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "x" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I seem to have problems riding in rough territory using clipless pedals,
    > and
    > > even when I ride my road bike in town I have problems with them. Is
    there
    > > any brand that is easier to use? I have spd shimono type now. If I
    > loosened
    > > the tension would that be better? I hate having to bail off the bike
    > because
    > > I can't unclip fast enough...

    > I've been following this post because I've though I might try going
    clipless
    > at some point. I'm worried about not being able to get "unstuck" from my bike before I
    end
    > up on the ground. Since I took a skills clinic and got over my fear of speeding downhill, I've
    > been taking hills faster and faster. But
    sometimes
    > on rocky terrain with the flat pedals I feel like my feet are getting bounced off the pedals and
    > slipping towards the outside edge of the pedal. I haven't had a spill yet but I feel like if my
    > foot slips off that pedal that I'm going down hard. Any advice?

    If you get SPDs, I would suggest the multi-release cleats. M-something. You will probably fall in
    the beginning, so stay away from cactus and cliffs. I like my clipless for exactly the same reason
    you mentioned, keeping my feet on the pedals in the rough stuff, but lots of other guys seem to do
    just as well without. I personally do not know anyone who went to clipless, then went back, but I'm
    sure they exist.

    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

  17. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "x" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I seem to have problems riding in rough territory using clipless pedals,
    > and
    > > even when I ride my road bike in town I have problems with them. Is
    there
    > > any brand that is easier to use? I have spd shimono type now. If I
    > loosened
    > > the tension would that be better? I hate having to bail off the bike
    > because
    > > I can't unclip fast enough...

    > I've been following this post because I've though I might try going
    clipless
    > at some point. I'm worried about not being able to get "unstuck" from my bike before I
    end
    > up on the ground. Since I took a skills clinic and got over my fear of speeding downhill, I've
    > been taking hills faster and faster. But
    sometimes
    > on rocky terrain with the flat pedals I feel like my feet are getting bounced off the pedals and
    > slipping towards the outside edge of the pedal. I haven't had a spill yet but I feel like if my
    > foot slips off that pedal that I'm going down hard. Any advice?

    I admit I am seriously 'bunny hop challenged' never having learned to ride flats but I really like
    SPD's especially over toe clips/straps. You can get the best of both (sort of) with Shimano 646 type
    pedals which combine flats with SPD's one problem with these is they don't work well with aggressive
    soled shoes and they are heavy. I run these on my DH bikes with 'skater' flat soled shoes. I tried
    Shimano DX flat pedals on my DH bike and kept getting bounced around like you, mostly winding up
    with my heels on the pedals. This forced me to have to sit and reposition my feet which is less than
    convenient while DHing. I might give Shauns half clips a try.

    On my XC bike I have the new Shimano 959's I have been very happy with them even in muddy
    conditions. I have been stuck on occasion as the cleats can behave unpredictably when the get worn
    out. The last time I was riding up a old brick sidewalk and spun out on some leaves. I went to put a
    foot down and my right foot wouldn't release I pulled again, harder (mistake) and the action caused
    me to fall over down a 15 foot nearly vertical bank. (John Morgan knows the one at Forest Hill Park
    with the 'step' about 1/3 of the way up.) 99.9% of the time I have no problems unclipping and find
    putting a foot down easy.

    Mike

  18. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    "Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've been following this post because I've though I might try going
    clipless
    > at some point. I'm worried about not being able to get "unstuck" from my bike before I
    end
    > up on the ground. Since I took a skills clinic and got over my fear of speeding downhill, I've
    > been taking hills faster and faster. But
    sometimes
    > on rocky terrain with the flat pedals I feel like my feet are getting bounced off the pedals and
    > slipping towards the outside edge of the pedal. I haven't had a spill yet but I feel like if my
    > foot slips off that pedal that I'm going down hard. Any advice?

    go for it, you will never regret it.

    Penny S

  19. Martees

    Martees Guest

    "Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "x" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I seem to have problems riding in rough territory using clipless pedals,
    > and
    > > even when I ride my road bike in town I have problems with them. Is
    there
    > > any brand that is easier to use? I have spd shimono type now. If I
    > loosened
    > > the tension would that be better? I hate having to bail off the bike
    > because
    > > I can't unclip fast enough...

    > I've been following this post because I've though I might try going
    clipless
    > at some point. I'm worried about not being able to get "unstuck" from my bike before I
    end
    > up on the ground. Since I took a skills clinic and got over my fear of speeding downhill, I've
    > been taking hills faster and faster. But
    sometimes
    > on rocky terrain with the flat pedals I feel like my feet are getting bounced off the pedals and
    > slipping towards the outside edge of the pedal. I haven't had a spill yet but I feel like if my
    > foot slips off that pedal that I'm going down hard. Any advice?

    CG,

    I highly recommend NOT falling. Falling is to be avoided. Falling bad........

    There are arguments for and against. Personally, I like the control I have over the bike. I'm not
    good enough to bunny hop or lift the rear wheel without the clips and they DO keep you in positive
    contact over the rough stuff.

    I bought a cheap pair of Nashbar SPD's about two years ago and I love em. But hey that's me.

    Good luck.

    Marty

  20. Martees

    Martees Guest

    > On Sat, 30 Nov 2002 18:55:47 -0500, "Martees" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    > >The bottomline is this... riding with your feet attached to the bike is a recipe for disaster no
    > >matter how you describe it.
    >
    > I must respectfully disagree completely. In fact I will say the opposite. Riding with you feet
    > attached is much safer due to greater control of the bike as a whole.
    >
    > Learn to ride clipless at all cost and wear a helmet.
    >
    > Peace, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the
    > mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    > :-]

    Ok. Point taken Bill. Let's just say that to me it was an unnatural act when I started but now it's
    second nature. You're absolutely right. The control over the bike created by the "attachment" is
    unbeatable BUT it's a learned effect. It was the "getting used to" part that I was pointing out.

    Thanks!

    Marty