Problems with conti GP 4 season tires

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by genedoc, Nov 21, 2007.

1. genedoc

genedoc New Member

I replaced a set of Vittoria Rubino Pros on my training wheels with the Continental Grand Prix 4 season tires based on a recommendation from my team LBS. I've been riding the Rubino's and the Open Corsa CX's for some time and very happy with their performance and handling. I have been amazed at how close they come to the handling of a true tubular. I have used conti's many times in the past and never had a problem with them.

The short of it is after only 6 rides, I remove the ($100) Conti's from the bike as being virtually unsafe to use. I'm a moderately aggressive, but not insane, descender and nearly lost control at lest 4 times on two rides down the same 35-40 mph winding descent. I had to descend at ~10mph slower than I would normally ride this road on the Vittorias. The tires almost completely wash out at very modest lean angles or with very little disturbance - ie. small pebbles (not "rocks"). The feeling is very similar to riding through corners on a flat. I've unfortunately lost virtually all confidence in cornering - not a good thing for a crit racer. Tire pressures are 100-110psi as recommended. In addition, I can feel the tire sliding out through flat corners at modestly fast speeds (normal training ride speeds) and I find myself prepared to counter steer when I should be leaning more.

I'm curious if anyone else has ridden these tires and experienced better or similar performance. Is it me, the tire, a bad lot? I've sent conti an e-mail, but apparently they are not interested. I know the GP 4000 are popular, but these are presumably different than the 4000.

Tags:

2. youhaditcoming

youhaditcoming New Member

Hi

I had similar problems with another Continental model, the Sport 1000. With some extra rim tape they seem to get more stable.

Moreover i bought one 4 season model rated as a 700 x 28C (four a touring bike) and it was actually a 700 x 25C ! That doesn't speak well of their quality control to say at least....No answers from Continental neither...

However through the years i'm mostly satisfied with Conti's

Regards

3. bicyclerubber

bicyclerubber New Member

I've heard this a few times about the 4 seasons, but there are plenty of people who have no trouble and, indeed, love this tyre above any other!

Personally, I have had better experiences with the Conti Ultra Gator Skin or the Vittoria Open Pave CG