Problems with front derailleur on sram red

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by stanleypostar, Aug 19, 2010.

1. stanleypostar

stanleypostar New Member

Having problems with shifting to the larger front gear- it skips alot and sometimes will not make the transition. Have taken it to the shop and they suggest swithing from red to force. Any ideas

Tags:

2. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

The you should check to be sure the FD is at the right, that it is at the correct angle to the big chainring, that the cable tension is sufficient, and that the FD limits are correct. I doubt it has anything to do with it being a Red FD.

3. Peter@vecchios

[email protected] New Member

And also make sure the der housing and cable are long enough, no kinks and the BB guide is smooth, not gunked up. I rec. 5mm housing, get rid of the over hyped gore stuff, both FD and RD and make sure the hpusing is long enough. FD shifting is a weak point with all road sram.

4. billydonn

billydonn New Member

I can't recall the exact source (another board probably) but I do seem to recall having heard of special difficulties with a certain generation of Red FDs. I do not speak from personal experience however.

5. Peter@vecchios

sram front shifting on all their road groups is a weak point further complicated by a really soft FD with red(titanium). Another example of pointing and yelling 'titanum', along with other red frog antics w/o having actual better performance.

ceramic! magnesium! titanium! yellow stickers!

6. dhk2

dhk2 Active Member

Peter, don't forget about the Red "PowerDome" cassette. As I'm sure you know, the top 8 cogs and cassette body are machined from a solid steel billet, with the last two small cogs being screwed on. Pretty fancy stuff.

Besides, the ad copy says the design offers "improved power transfer" and "more rigidity" than Shimano or Campy cassettes.....who doesn't need that?

7. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

I hate it when I feel all the flex in my Campy cassettes! It's almost as bad the seatpost wind-up and all the power losses from spoke nipple flexion.

8. billydonn

billydonn New Member

And what about the constant headset bearing adjustments to compensate for humidity and temperature variation! That one really bugs me!

9. Peter@vecchios

And the extra weight of steel bearings in the headset instead of ceramic, feels like a boat anchor tied to my handlebars!!