Problems with Giant XTC Team 2003 frame

Trapez

Guest
I don't know what's wrong with me. Two weeks ago I bought 2003 Giant XTC Team frame. My first
filling is that this frame is very good in steering and accelerating. Owing to integrated headset I
could mount the bar in low position, what I like. Pictures of my new and older bike are on my site
(sorry, but this site is in Polish language :)

http://www.trapezonet.republika.pl/

But there is one big disadvantage in this frame. For me it's too hard rear triangle. Each small jump
over small obstacles, like roots, small rocks or something like that is finishing very hard. Just
like jumping on hard concrete floor. It is not so pleasant and destroys enjoyment from riding. My
former frame is made from triple butted Columbus alu and I though it was a little soft for me, but
now comparing with XTC, I found out that soft frame is better than very stiff for someone who is
riding for pleasant and long way racings like marathons. Does anybody have similar fillings with
this frame?

--
Pozdrawiam Trapez

there is no such thing as vertical compliance in a frame that you can feel. Check your tyre
pressure. Are they different tyres to your old bike?

"Trapez" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]... I don't
[...]

Everything is the same, just like it was on Author frame. I have a few different tires for rear:
Michelin XL S, Continental Twister, Michelin Comp S Light and the feeling is always the same - too
hard. I think, I should buy NRS (my friend is a dealer of Giant so that's why I bought xtc) or steel
softtail, instead of hard XC.

Thanks for your advice Trapez http://www.trapezonet.republika.pl/

> there is no such thing as vertical compliance in a frame that you can
feel.
> Check your tyre pressure. Are they different tyres to your old bike?

Look at it this way. What is the frame you bought intended for ? Racing or recreational rides ? I
had the same sort of experience when I bought my first serious race bike but I was expecting it.
That's what I was paying the extra money for.

You can try a few different things to soften it up but it's a bit like fitting carpet in a race car.
See your local and good bike shop and they should be able to help you out.

The NRS frames are nice but make sure you ride one before you buy, you don't want to be in the same
positions you are in now. At least you would be able to soften up the NRS but even then you might
just be better off buying a bike more suited to your riding.

AJS

"Trapez" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I don't know what's wrong with me. Two weeks ago I bought 2003 Giant XTC Team frame. My first
> filling is that this frame is very good in steering
and
> accelerating. Owing to integrated headset I could mount the bar in low position, what I like.
> Pictures of my new and older bike are on my site (sorry, but this site is in Polish language :)
>
> http://www.trapezonet.republika.pl/
>
> But there is one big disadvantage in this frame. For me it's too hard rear triangle. Each small
> jump over small obstacles, like roots, small rocks or something like that is finishing very
> hard. Just like jumping on hard concrete floor. It is not so pleasant and destroys enjoyment
> from riding.
My
> former frame is made from triple butted Columbus alu and I though it was a little soft for me, but
> now comparing with XTC, I found out that soft
frame
> is better than very stiff for someone who is riding for pleasant and long way racings like
> marathons. Does anybody have similar fillings with this frame?
>

> --
> Pozdrawiam Trapez

U¿ytkownik "A J S" <[email protected]> napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci

> Look at it this way. What is the frame you bought intended for ? Racing or recreational rides ? I
> had the same sort of experience when I bought my first serious race bike but I was expecting it.
> That's what I
was
> paying the extra money for.

I planed to put together light, fast bike, good for races and recreational raiding. I mean
recreational as not going with 10km/h on the road, but
XC/freeride riding in forest with a lot of uphills, so I though that light xtc frame would be
good for it.

> You can try a few different things to soften it up but it's a bit like fitting carpet in a race
> car. See your local and good bike shop and they should be able to help you out.

I don't think that race mountain bike should be uncomfortable. I can go faster and be less tired if
the frame can a little reduce influence from ground, because small hits are the most tired. Now I
know, why pro racers have low air pressure in tires and it's not only because of traction :)

> The NRS frames are nice but make sure you ride one before you buy, you
don't
> want to be in the same positions you are in now. At least you would be
able
> to soften up the NRS but even then you might just be better off buying a bike more suited to
> your riding.

I think I will do it. I was riding merida dominator over a year, so I know what is on full
suspension bike, but I'm aware that nrs is something else. Or I will buy cane creek thudbuster,
because RS susp. seatpost does not appeal to me.

Thank you for your advance.
--
Trapez http://www.trapezonet.republika.pl/

> Thank you for your advance.

Sorry, not advance, but advise :)

Trapez

How long have you had the bike ? How much riding have you done ? Can you persevere with it ? I think
you got exactly what you paid for, A race frame with the performance expected by serious racers. It
would really be a pity if you couldn't get to the stage where you are able to ride it comfortably. I
do know what you mean about comfort and actually being able to enjoy your ride. My first serious
frame really beat the **** out of me for quite awhile but I got to the stage where it doesn't bother
me and I really appreciate the extra speed and performance I have.

Have you tried different width tires ? What about the seat ? Change the seat for something softer
and see if you can get used to it. What size frame and how tall are you ?

AJS

"Trapez" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> U¿ytkownik "A J S" <[email protected]> napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci
>
> > Look at it this way. What is the frame you bought intended for ? Racing or recreational rides ?
> > I had the same sort of experience when I bought my first serious race bike but I was expecting
> > it. That's what I
> was
> > paying the extra money for.
>
> I planed to put together light, fast bike, good for races and recreational raiding. I mean
> recreational as not going with 10km/h on the road, but
> XC/freeride riding in forest with a lot of uphills, so I though that light xtc frame would be good
> for it.
>
> > You can try a few different things to soften it up but it's a bit like fitting carpet in a race
> > car. See your local and good bike shop and they should be able to help you
out.

> I don't think that race mountain bike should be uncomfortable. I can go faster and be less tired
> if the frame can a little reduce influence from ground, because small hits are the most tired. Now
> I know, why pro racers have low air pressure in tires and it's not only because of traction :)
>
> > The NRS frames are nice but make sure you ride one before you buy, you
> don't
> > want to be in the same positions you are in now. At least you would be
> able
> > to soften up the NRS but even then you might just be better off buying a bike more suited to
> > your riding.
>
> I think I will do it. I was riding merida dominator over a year, so I know what is on full
> suspension bike, but I'm aware that nrs is something else. Or I will buy cane creek thudbuster,
> because RS susp. seatpost does not appeal to me.
>
> Thank you for your advance.
> --
> Trapez http://www.trapezonet.republika.pl/

> How long have you had the bike ? How much riding have you done ? Can you persevere with it ?

I have this XTC frame for two weeks. I tried different terrain, from road to forest and only on the
road I can endure with this stiffness. In weekends I do rides with about 50-120km distance, mixed
forest and road. Sometimes it's full XC in forest. It depends of weather. In normal days these
distance of course are shorter.

> I think you got exactly what you paid for, A race frame with the
performance
> expected by serious racers. It would really be a pity if you couldn't get
> the stage where you are able to ride it comfortably.

My favourite way of competition is marathon, so for longer distance this frame will make me more
tired because of long influence of small bobs. Moreover according to shorter races, it also really
slows me down and I really feel sorry for pro racers who have to ride on frame like this. Though, I
heard that frames for pro racers are a little different than stuff for others.

> I do know what you mean about comfort and actually being able to enjoy
your
> ride. My first serious frame really beat the **** out of me for quite
awhile
> but I got to the stage where it doesn't bother me and I really appreciate the extra speed and
> performance I have.

But for me, benefits of this extra speed are smaller than loses from slowing down and tiring because
of this influence from ground.

> Have you tried different width tires ?

Bike for me should be good with each type of tires. When I ride in summer and autumn I have Michelin
Comp S or Continental Twister, but in winter and early spring there is something with better
traction like Michelin FrontS/XLS because of the snow and mud.

> What about the seat ? Change the seat

I know. My seat Fizic Nisene Twin Tech Black isn't very comfortable, and I'm planing to change it. I
was looking for WTB Laser V stealth, but in Poland there is not possible to get it and waiting for
it from abroad internet shop will take too much time. Now I ordered Specialized Telluride. Anyway,
when I ride in forest, mostly I not sit on the saddle. On xtc I feel hits from grounds in legs.
Maybe there is something wrong with my square bottom bracket and crankset truvativ firex. I read
opinions on MTBR about SE2, where the frame is the same and nobody claimed that it's too hard, and
maybe isis system gives more suspension. But I don't think so.

> for something softer and see if you can get used to it. What size frame
and
> how tall are you ?

I'm 178 cm tall and the frame is M, so I think it's proper. My weight is about 65kg. For me the
position very comfortable.

Yesterday I returned to my former frame. When I made air pressure in tires in very high level, I
didn't feel those hits in legs like on xtc. Maybe like other things, some of bike parts for eastern
Europe are in worst quality. For example food for cats. Often my cats do not eat food produced for
Polish market, but when my mother try to feed them by the same company food, made for Germany they
eat this. The same situation is for instance with washing powders and many other things and I hope
it isn't with Giant, but who knows. Poland is treated like second quality market-place and we can
discuss about a little different products. I don't know what is in other countries, but frames of
Giant bikes with disc brakes have no possibility to mount there rim brakes. So, in Poland SE2 is
being sell with MPH, and you can't make it more light, mounting rim brakes. The funniest thing is
that they add pivots for rim brakes to bike, but you can mount them either in your nose nor ears,
but not in frame. That's the reason why a few SE2 were not sold in my local bike shop. Giant
politics is a little strange for me.

Trapez

> "Trapez" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > U¿ytkownik "A J S" <[email protected]> napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci
> >
> > > Look at it this way. What is the frame you bought intended for ? Racing or recreational rides
> > > ? I had the same sort of experience when
> > > bought my first serious race bike but I was expecting it. That's what
> > was
> > > paying the extra money for.
> >
> > I planed to put together light, fast bike, good for races and
recreational
> > raiding. I mean recreational as not going with 10km/h on the road, but
> > XC/freeride riding in forest with a lot of uphills, so I though that
light
> > xtc frame would be good for it.
> >
> > > You can try a few different things to soften it up but it's a bit like fitting carpet in a
> > > race car. See your local and good bike shop and they should be able to help you
> out.
> >
> > I don't think that race mountain bike should be uncomfortable. I can go faster and be less tired
> > if the frame can a little reduce influence from ground, because small hits are the most tired.
> > Now I know, why pro
racers
> > have low air pressure in tires and it's not only because of traction :)
> >
> > > The NRS frames are nice but make sure you ride one before you buy, you
> > don't
> > > want to be in the same positions you are in now. At least you would be
> > able
> > > to soften up the NRS but even then you might just be better off buying
> > > bike more suited to your riding.
> >
> > I think I will do it. I was riding merida dominator over a year, so I
know
> > what is on full suspension bike, but I'm aware that nrs is something
else.
> > Or I will buy cane creek thudbuster, because RS susp. seatpost does not appeal to me.
> >
> > Thank you for your advance.
> > --
> > Trapez http://www.trapezonet.republika.pl/

Two weeks ? Does this mean that you have ridded once per week ? Everyday ? Depending on how often
you ride you might find you need to get used to the frame. Actually even if you have ridden everyday
it's really not long (In my opinion) enough to get used to the bike.

Pro riders don't have to ride stiff frames, The do it because it's better. A race frame is meant
to be stiff.

From my point of view it would be a pity for you to ditch this frame as it is such a good one but if
you can't live with it then you have to.

I think that you might want to try messing around with wider tires (The reason I was asking width of
the tires), different air pressures and a seat (Not the hunk of metal your riding now :) to see if
you can get to the stage where you can wear yourself into this frame. Grow into it.

I would also spend some time adjusting my (your) new seat to find the best position. It can make a
huge difference. Back, forward, tilt and height. I would then take some time to get used to the
bike. If you did this then I am ever so sure you would be able to get to the stage where you can
ride comfortably and it might be worth trying. If your going to buy a new seat anyway then your not
going to throw money away and may even save quite a bit by not having to but another frame.

There isn't anything wrong with your frame, if you tried any similar aluminium frames for other
maker they would be quite close in ride quality.

I think you will be able to get used to and adjust the bike so that your able to ride it as
comfortably as is possible with this type of frame. Good luck with it and I hope I have given you a
few ideas that you can try.

If you get a new frame what will you buy ?

AJS

> [...]
> more light, mounting rim brakes. The funniest thing is that they add
pivots
> for rim brakes to bike, but you can mount them either in your nose nor
ears,
> but not in frame. That's the reason why a few SE2 were not sold in my
local
> bike shop. Giant politics is a little strange for me.
>
> Trapez
>

> > "Trapez" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > U¿ytkownik "A J S" <[email protected]> napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci

when
> > > was
> > >
> > > I planed to put together light, fast bike, good for races and
> recreational
> > > raiding. I mean recreational as not going with 10km/h on the road, but
> > > XC/freeride riding in forest with a lot of uphills, so I though that

you
> > out.
> > >
> > > I don't think that race mountain bike should be uncomfortable. I can
go
> > > faster and be less tired if the frame can a little reduce influence
from
> > > ground, because small hits are the most tired. Now I know, why pro
> racers
> > > have low air pressure in tires and it's not only because of traction
:)

> > > don't
> > > able
> > >
> > > I think I will do it. I was riding merida dominator over a year, so I
> know
> > > what is on full suspension bike, but I'm aware that nrs is something
> else.
> > > Or I will buy cane creek thudbuster, because RS susp. seatpost does
not
> > > appeal to me.
> > >
> > > Thank you for your advance.
> > > --
> > > Trapez http://www.trapezonet.republika.pl/

U¿ytkownik "A J S" <[email protected]> napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci

> Two weeks ? Does this mean that you have ridded once per week ? > Everyday
?

Of course everyday, but in the weekend the ride was longer.

> Pro riders don't have to ride stiff frames, The do it because it's better.
> race frame is meant to be stiff.

Some of them are riding on cannondale scalpel for instance and winning J

> There isn't anything wrong with your frame, if you tried any similar aluminium frames for other
> maker they would be quite close in ride
quality.

You are right. I tried trek 8500 and had similar fillings. My friend claims that he sometimes fill
pain into his knees when he stops riding. Maybe it's the reason to stay with softer frame. I'm
afraid that with this frame I could have the same situation like with my "hunk of metal" Fizik
saddle. I thought it become softer and I will get used to it. Nothing happened and this saddle still
isn't comfortable. I don't know why I have stayed with it for so long time (two years), but now I
decided to get rid of it.

> I think you will be able to get used to and adjust the bike so that your able to ride it as
> comfortably as is possible with this type of frame.
Good
> luck with it and I hope I have given you a few ideas that you can try.

Thank you for your help. I need to think over and try to change a couple of things because is hard
to approve for me that this race frame isn't for me.

> If you get a new frame what will you buy ?

Maybe Giant Iguana would be good for me, but I need to ask my colleague whether they can sell me
only the frame. I rode on one and it hasn't this hard feeling like xtc team, have similar geometry
and got integrated headset (i like low position). Now I think I will stay with my old one. It's
good piece of aluminium. I'm going to spend some money on lighter parts.

Thank you for your advices.

Trapez http://www.trapezonet.republika.pl/

I think you would probably be disappointed with the Iguana. There is nothing wrong with it and it's
a good entry level bike but you would be going from a decent race frame to a recreational frame.

"Thank you for your help. I need to think over and try to change a couple of
> things because is hard to approve for me that this race frame isn't for
me."

Good luck. I would try anything to be comfortable with that frame (Wish I had one) :)

AJS

"Trapez" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> U¿ytkownik "A J S" <[email protected]> napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci
>
> > Two weeks ? Does this mean that you have ridded once per week ? >
Everyday
> ?
>
> Of course everyday, but in the weekend the ride was longer.
>
> > Pro riders don't have to ride stiff frames, The do it because it's
better.
> > race frame is meant to be stiff.
>
> Some of them are riding on cannondale scalpel for instance and winning J
>
> > There isn't anything wrong with your frame, if you tried any similar aluminium frames for other
> > maker they would be quite close in ride
> quality.
>
> You are right. I tried trek 8500 and had similar fillings. My friend
claims
> that he sometimes fill pain into his knees when he stops riding. Maybe
it's
> the reason to stay with softer frame. I'm afraid that with this frame I could have the same
> situation like with my "hunk of metal" Fizik saddle. I thought it become softer and I will get
> used to it. Nothing happened and this saddle still isn't comfortable. I don't know why I have
> stayed with
it
> for so long time (two years), but now I decided to get rid of it.
>
> > I think you will be able to get used to and adjust the bike so that your able to ride it as
> > comfortably as is possible with this type of frame.
> Good
> > luck with it and I hope I have given you a few ideas that you can try.
>
> Thank you for your help. I need to think over and try to change a couple
of
> things because is hard to approve for me that this race frame isn't for
mf.

> > If you get a new frame what will you buy ?
>
> Maybe Giant Iguana would be good for me, but I need to ask my colleague whether they can sell me
> only the frame. I rode on one and it hasn't this hard feeling like xtc team, have similar
> geometry and got integrated
headset
> (i like low position). Now I think I will stay with my old one. It's good piece of aluminium. I'm
> going to spend some money on lighter parts.
>
> Thank you for your advices.
>
> Trapez http://www.trapezonet.republika.pl/

Thudbuster? Who sells Taiwan-made parallelogram (ala Tamer Tricky
****) shock seatposts?

Overheard a discussion on Thudbusters and the Tricky ****. Buzz was that there were Taiwan-made and
China-manufacturered shockposts that were said to be more effective than Tamer's that were being
imported. Anybody know the make/model, and who sells 'em? Prices?

Also heard allegations of slow shipments from Tamer - some unhappy Tamer consumers. Thudbuster's
shock absorbing plastic (?) springs were allegedly popping out also.

Also, a Seattle-area machine shop is gearing up to make a more heavy-duty "Tricky ****" style
shockpost. Isn't Tamer's design protected by patents?

news:<[email protected]>...