Problems with LOOK pedals

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Niblox, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Niblox

Niblox New Member

Hi all

Recently I got a Piranello 4:13 carbon frame road bike which is great. However, the pedals are giving me grief, mainly the cleats. On the right side, it moves around on the Diadora shoes I bought the same day. When I try to disengage the right cleat from the LOOK pedals, it won't do so. At speed, or near traffic, this could be fatal.

The left cleat will click in and I can disengage easily enough. However, I have noticed that it occasionally gives a tiny extra little "click" when it is engaged and then it is almost as hard to disengage as the right one.

Am I doing something wrong? I have been using an MTB up to now with conventional toe clips and straps, and I can deal with SPD pedals, but this is really causing some problems. Any advice, anyone?

Niblox

Tags:

2. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

What do you mean by "it moves around"? The cleat? The cleats should have rectangular washers that go into the three holes and then the washers are bolted down securely so the cleat does not move. With red cleats you twist your foot a little before the cleat presses up against the side of the retention plate. As you continue to twist the retention plate will hinge backward until the cleat snaps out. You could clip in at home, take your shoe off and watch what happens when twisting the shoe by hand.

This I cannot say. Again I would suggest clipping in an empty shoe and watching as you disengage the cleat by hand.

3. hd reynolds

hd reynolds New Member

You can adjust disengagement on look pedals by turning up a screw, usually located below the pedal near the back. You can set it as slack or tight.

Also if you are using a red cleat, these give you 9-15 degrees of float while black cleats are more limited or even fixed. The float enables your foot some degree of rotational freedom before you disengage (which to some are more forgiving to the ankles or knees as opposed to the fixed cleats).

4. Niblox

Niblox New Member

So far I have replaced the old cleats with new (teflon) ones, and used new screws to fasten them to the sole of the shoe, but they are still EXTREMELY difficult to remove. I am going to replace them with single sided SPD pedals in the next week or so.

5. capwater

capwater New Member

Something ain't right here. Looks are some of the easiest pedals to get in an out of. Could be a cleat issue or an adjustment to the float. Don't give up yet.

6. Niblox

Niblox New Member

Well, I solved the problem of the very tight LOOK pedals - I replaced them with SPD's and they work fine. Had a brilliant ride last night of about 10 miles on the new bike and it was amazing how it performed.

7. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

But have you checked why that particular Look pedal was not working? That makes no sense, unless it was damaged/broken in some way... :confused:

Just curious.

8. Xsmoker

Xsmoker New Member

Which model LOOK pedal did you buy? The higher end pedals are more difficult to release from than the cheaper ones.

9. djk202020

djk202020 New Member

I love my looks, I have the keo sprint, never had a problem with look. Maybe you got a defective pedal?

10. Niblox

Niblox New Member

The pedals supplied with the bike were LOOK 337 ones, seem to have been made for Piranello

11. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

I asked for additional information about the exact nature of the problem. Even telling him he needed to watch the unclipping action to see what was wrong. So I don't see how any of us here could possibly help someone who does not want to be helped.

12. n1ey

n1ey New Member

It sounds like your cleats have a defect. If you can't unclip easily
    from LOOK, then you are doing something wrong or the pedals are
    bad. Did you adjust the spring tension?

Here is another stupid question. Did you actually tighten those bolts?

Bill

13. fauxpas

fauxpas New Member

Sounds like he had trouble getting the cleat to stay put on the shoe. I remember the first few times I screwed cleats in I was a little paranoid I would strip the thread, rendering the new shoes worthless (Can't wear carnacs to a disco... OK, I'll try).

Either way, as long as he's happy. May want to buy a cheap set of shoes and use the LOOK pedals on a trainer...

14. Niblox

Niblox New Member

My apologies if you think I did not want help. I certainly did but after having observed the unclipping mechanism several times I am at a loss to explain it. I live in a town where the local bike shop appears to have no idea about why the problem is occurring - I asked them and showed them the cleats and they just looked as if they had never seen it before. I bought the bike and the pedals in a city about 200 miles away and it is not that easy to get back there.

For the moment I will use the SPD pedals but I will keep trying to correct the LOOK pedals.

15. Niblox

Niblox New Member

Yes, I tighted the bolts (screws) in the base of the shoes and they don't move now. I am beginning to think that the actual pedals are the problem. Only thing is they were supplied with the bike.

I may have to take them to some dealer and get them checked out - only problem is I am 200 miles away from the shop where I got the bike!

16. Niblox

Niblox New Member

Hi Bill, yes, I did adjust the spring tension

17. fauxpas

fauxpas New Member

Contact the shop you bought the bike from. Ask them for suggestions... If that is unsucessfull, get them to mail you out another set of pedal/cleats...

18. n1ey

n1ey New Member

Did you tighten the bolts on the cleat? It almost sounds as if the cleat
    was secured to the shoe.

19. Niblox

Niblox New Member

I tightened the bolts on the cleat - it did not move in relation to the sole of the shoe. Is the cleat not meant to be completely immobile in relation to the shoe sole?

20. kleng

kleng New Member

You mentioned you replaced the cleats with new ones, did you get the right cleats for the right model, I think the 337 pedals use the older large look cleat. I'm hoping you didn't get Keo cleats which are smaller and I don't think would be compatible with the 337 pedals.