Problems with Lumicycle Lights

David Hughes

Guest
I bought a set with 20w flood and 5w spot last October. During the first couple of months two of the
20w floods blew; Lumicycle replaced these without any complaint. Since then I have had no problems
until yesterday when I left work, switched on and there was nothing. Thankfully I had a Cateye LED
as back up so I had a light to ride home. I put the battery on charge thinking that that might sort
it out. It is over a week since I last charged the battery but I have only run them for a couple of
hours on the 5w since then. After about half an hour it went onto trickle mode, which surprised me.
Later I put it onto charge again; this time it charged for a couple of hours before going onto
trickle. I left it charging overnight thinking this might solve any problem with the battery, but
there is still nothing. I have checked all the cables, as far as I can, and they seem sound.

Any suggestions before I ring Lumicycle on Monday.

I am really disappointed that I have had these problems. When they have been working they have been
great. Before Christmas I did several rides back to Bath from Wells in the dark. I would not have
done that before.

Anyone else had problems or have I just been unlucky?

David

"David Hughes" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I bought a set with 20w flood and 5w spot last October. During the first
couple
> of months two of the 20w floods blew; Lumicycle replaced these without any complaint. Since then I
> have had no problems until yesterday when I left
work,
> switched on and there was nothing. Thankfully I had a Cateye LED as back
up so I
> had a light to ride home. I put the battery on charge thinking that that might sort it out. It is
over a
> week since I last charged the battery but I have only run them for a
couple of
> hours on the 5w since then. After about half an hour it went onto trickle mode, which
> surprised me.
Later I
> put it onto charge again; this time it charged for a couple of hours
before
> going onto trickle. I left it charging overnight thinking this might solve
any
> problem with the battery, but there is still nothing. I have checked all the cables, as far as I
> can, and they seem sound.
>
> Any suggestions before I ring Lumicycle on Monday.
>
> I am really disappointed that I have had these problems. When they have
been
> working they have been great. Before Christmas I did several rides back to
Bath
> from Wells in the dark. I would not have done that before.
>
> Anyone else had problems or have I just been unlucky?
>
> David

No problems here .. as you mention, Lumicycle as a company are great with customer service ...

David Hughes <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> After about half an hour it went onto trickle mode, which surprised me. Later I put it onto charge
> again; this time it charged for a couple of hours before going onto trickle. I left it charging
> overnight thinking this might solve any problem with the battery, but there is still nothing. I
> have checked all the cables, as far as I can, and they seem sound.

I had this happen too, but not often. I think part of the problem was that I didn't undo the top
of the water bottle batter holder and it was overheating and cutting out the fast charge too
soon. If you unplug, wait a little while and then try again you should get another decent chunk
of fast charging.

Obviously if this persists, it's not ideal, but I found that the problem went away after a couple of
decent charges. Other than that, I have been very happy with the lights (used daily for a year or so
now, the evening commute is dark all year round).

James

Just give Lumicycle a call. I had a contact go on mine (after about 3 yrs) and had to send it back
for repair. In sorting it they wired it up the wrong way and blew it up!

That may not sound like much of a recommendation, but the point is they rang me staight away and
admitted the error. How easy would it have been for them to have just said the battery had died of
natural causes and would I like to buy a replacement? Instead they sorted me out with a replacement.
I know it's sad that I even have to commend them for doing the right thing, but there are plenty who
news:[email protected]...