Problems with my Cabon Giant and front derailleur

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by franco1, Jul 20, 2005.

1. franco1

franco1 New Member

I've recently upgraded my bike with the new 10spd Ultegra and have found that my front derailleur can not go completly in.

If its on the 39-23 the chain scraps on the inside of the derailleur. I've tried adjusting it but I've noticed that without any pull from the cable the derailleur touches the frame and therefore can not go in any further.

I hope it makes sense what I wrote? :confused:

If I remember correctly where the spring is covered with the plastic that touches against the frame.

Has anyone had the same problem and found a solution? I've notice the new frame have a "kink" where the derailleur goes, so it could be a problem.
    Also I was told that you get spacers that can push the cranks out a little too.

Tags:

2. leafy

leafy New Member

Have you installed the cable correctly? There is a short 'sleeve' beside the cable screw socket. The cable must go over (on the outside) of the sleeve instead of the inside. If you run the cable on inside between the sleeve and the screw, the front shifter will have to be very tight when you shift from 39 -> 52. Also, I do not think it is normal for the front derailler cage to touch your frame even if there is no cable pull.

3. franco1

franco1 New Member

Thanks for your reply.
    The cabling is correct, I spoke to one of our "approved" Giant shop's over here and he mentioned that he has had the problem before and he put a spacer on the cranks so as to push them out. He mentioned that he got it from Shimano.

So I guess thats what I have to do?

Just got of the phone with the bike shop and they sorted it out. But he did'nt tell me what he did, "trade secret" :mad: he said.
    But NO spacers where used :eek:

I'll see when I get the bike back.

4. franco1

franco1 New Member

Found the problem my rings where the wrong way round. I small problem but what a head ache?