problems with performance ti-mg pedals?!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dan Baker, Nov 25, 2003.

  1. Dan Baker

    Dan Baker Guest

    I've had the same problem now in two pairs of performance ti-mg pedals after about 1000 miles each
    time. The cleat platform on the left pedal is fastened to the mg body with two screws, and the screw
    at the toe of the cleat retain strips out of the body. My guess is that the mg body is just too soft
    and there may not be enough thread engaged in the design. I make a fair number of short commuter
    trips on my daily rides bike trailering the kids to school and such, and so am getting in and out of
    the cleats a lot.

    anybody else had this problem with performance ti-mg pedals?

    I am considering a switch to speedplay, or trying the similar wellgo SPDs, but am a little concerned
    about sensitivity to grit with speedplay. I have a gravel driveway and about 1/4 mile dirt road to
    pavement, and typically end up taking a few steps in gravel/sand before clipping in. Are speedplays
    going to be able to handle this?

    Also, I note that speedplay typically lists the weight of the pedal body only, and in comparing to
    the total weight of a typical spd pedal/cleat, I am wondering what the TOTAL weights of the
    speedplay systems are. anybody have this info?

    thanks, d

    Tags:

  2. Dan Baker

    Dan Baker Guest

    [email protected] (dan baker) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Also, I note that speedplay typically lists the weight of the pedal body only, and in comparing to
    > the total weight of a typical spd pedal/cleat, I am wondering what the TOTAL weights of the
    > speedplay systems are. anybody have this info?
    ...I've found some numbers, and thought I'd post to see if anyone can verify. looks like the
    speedplay x/1 with cleats totals up to about 212 gr for $250, and the performance ti-mg and wellgo
    ti-mg (look the same) are about 280gr including cleats for $80.