Problems with Shimano Flightdeck SM-6501

mngopher2k8

Mar 26, 2004
I have recently purchased a Shimano Flightdeck SM-6501 Wireless computer for my bike.

The very first time i used it, it was perfect, worked flawlessly, but i realized i had programmed the wrong wheel size, so I reset all of the settings. After a few problems at first it began to work again. Then things started getting bad.

On my next ride the computer started to get all flakey. It would run for a while flawlessly, but then at complete random it would stop reading altogether. This must have happened about 2 or 3 times on that one ride. That was about a week ago, and no the computer does not work at all. It only will run if i press the buttons in the back, but it will not read the speed, gearing, cadence or anything else. The buttons in the hoods do nothing and it is extremely frustrating. I removed the entire unit and reinstalled it, making sure to pay extra attention to the flat cables when i installed them into the levers. If anyone knows any remedies or if anyone knows how I can contact Shimano to get tech support or to hopefully get a new computer, please help.

Ugh! Got my wife a flightdeck for her birthday (the same wireless one)...she's new to cycling and I thought the gear indicators would be helpful.

Spent several hr's trying to install the damn thing and failed (I've got an engineering degree, trust me, the flightdeck has the worst design in the history of consumer electronics). The bike shop took a full day, finally got it to work. OK, deep breath, looks like it's working wonderfully, told myself 'let's move on.'

Wife used it for a few rides and really liked it. Had to cut away meticulously at her bar tape to get the buttons to work consistently, but OK. On about her 5th ride, one of the function 'loops' stopped working completely. So time for a trip back to the bike shop.

I kept the box/reciept because I've heard flightdeck horror stories and read the terrible reviews they've recieved in various web forums. I'm going to ask the LBS to return it, and buy something like a cateye astrale 8 and get her a mechanical in-line gear indicator.

To me it's just hard to fathom Shimano selling such a POS.

I have one one both my bike and my son's. We have had no problem at all. It sounds like your magnet may need adjusting. Make sure you have it set at the proper distance and level. Good luck.