Problems with speedplay x pedals I need help.

stevek

Sep 27, 2003
Well it is not the pedals I don’t think but me. I had not really ridden a bike for about 15 years. I did a trade for this great racing bike. At first I was planning on just using it around town. So I wanted to use regular pedals. But I found my feet slipping off the sides and I found myself riding 10 miles to work. (now 20) well because of the way my feet were on the pedals I got into the habit of my knees sagging out. I am overweight and they tend to do it anyway. Well with the speedplay pedals my buddy gave me (and shoes) this caused my heel to turn more in and I would pop out of the pedal.
Well some reason the cleats did not hold after a few rains and I could rock my food sideways just a bit and they would let go. Even with lube.
So I just replaced them and it helps. But I noticed that it only takes a little movement of my heel inward and I am out. My heels come close to touching the crank arms naturally.
I tried the shoes on the pedals without my feet in them and I could turn the heels in and they did not come off. But they do when my feet are in them.
I am trying to keep my heels out but that is pretty hard.’
I had wanted to change over to the frogs so I could wear shoes I can walk in so I don’t have to carry sandals around with me. The fellow to traded the bike and shoes and pedals prefers the frogs on his road bike over the regular speedplays. I want to try them and I wonder if they will come off with the same inward heel movement?

Originally posted by stevek
Well it is not the pedals I don’t think but me. I had not really ridden a bike for about 15 years. I did a trade for this great racing bike. At first I was planning on just using it around town. So I wanted to use regular pedals. But I found my feet slipping off the sides and I found myself riding 10 miles to work. (now 20) well because of the way my feet were on the pedals I got into the habit of my knees sagging out. I am overweight and they tend to do it anyway. Well with the speedplay pedals my buddy gave me (and shoes) this caused my heel to turn more in and I would pop out of the pedal.
Well some reason the cleats did not hold after a few rains and I could rock my food sideways just a bit and they would let go. Even with lube.
So I just replaced them and it helps. But I noticed that it only takes a little movement of my heel inward and I am out. My heels come close to touching the crank arms naturally.
I tried the shoes on the pedals without my feet in them and I could turn the heels in and they did not come off. But they do when my feet are in them.
I am trying to keep my heels out but that is pretty hard.’
I had wanted to change over to the frogs so I could wear shoes I can walk in so I don’t have to carry sandals around with me. The fellow to traded the bike and shoes and pedals prefers the frogs on his road bike over the regular speedplays. I want to try them and I wonder if they will come off with the same inward heel movement?

Maybe the cleats are positioned wrong... make sure they do not put your feet in a heel position. Maybe you need to adjust the cleat so it is more neutral on your shoe...look at the shoe and see if the cleat points straight up or to one side...

Originally posted by nili1029
Maybe the cleats are positioned wrong... make sure they do not put your feet in a heel position. Maybe you need to adjust the cleat so it is more neutral on your shoe...look at the shoe and see if the cleat points straight up or to one side...
I thin k Ifound the problem the platform that the cleats are attached to the shims had shattered and I forgot to put the new ones on.
but yoy don't have any such adjustments on them. but from what I have been told they have to be mounted perfectly to work well.

Hope that takes care of your issues -- when they're working correctly, it's a great system. The shim setup is pretty senstive.

Originally posted by lokstah
Hope that takes care of your issues -- when they're working correctly, it's a great system. The shim setup is pretty senstive.
I think I am going to the frogs though. first I pretty much only commute. 20 miles a day. but I get tired of hauling sandals around and changing my shoes all the time.
I tried my buddies frogs (we both have the same shoe size) and they work well and feel fine. sure feel more secure too.

Originally posted by stevek
I think I am going to the frogs though. first I pretty much only commute. 20 miles a day. but I get tired of hauling sandals around and changing my shoes all the time.
I tried my buddies frogs (we both have the same shoe size) and they work well and feel fine. sure feel more secure too.
Well, cool deal. I know a guy who races both road crits and cyclocross in Frogs, and he's pretty happy with them. All in all, Speedplay's a great company. California represent.

Glad to see someone else likes american-made components! Believe in many cases, the best stuff is made by US companies.

I'm looking forward to trying the Speedplay Zeros on the new bike in a couple of weeks. I'll be using them with Carnacs. Have already ordered the new UCS-3 adapter plate and the Zero Cafe Covers for walking around.

Dan

I actually met the owner/inventor of Speedplay a little while ago -- great guy. Good thing I was on my Speedplays that day.

;)

the fellow who gave me my shoes and the regular speedplays loved them though he liked the frogs beter. he was a bike messanger and really punishd his stuff. I had a good ride tonight with the frongs. takes a bit to know when they are really lockd on but once so I feel solid. bummer that I found out how to fix the regular speedplay's after I bought the frogs. but with my riding I need a shoe I can walk in.
Plus my feet keep warmer in MB shoes over the road shoes.