Problems with triple chainring front derailleur (Ultegra)

Bob in CT

Guest
I adjusted the front Ultegra derailleur on my Lemond bike by using the
following:

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_frontderailleur.shtml

(I even have a fourth hand tool!) The derailleur does not appear to be
shifting far enough over toward the large chainring. In the small
chainring, I have to push twice sometimes to get the derailleur to shift
to the middle chainring. In the middle chainring, I can use the large
cogs on the rear cassette with no problem, but the chain begins to rub on
the small cogs. When I'm in the large chainring, I have rubbing on
basically all gears but definitely the small cogs of the cassette.

To me, it looks that if the derailleur would move farther out (toward the
large chainring) by about 1/8 inch, all my problems would be solved.
However, the barrel adjuster appears to be broken -- even after I've taken
it apart and regreased it, it's incredibly hard to move once put back
together. So, it's of no use. I also made sure that there was almost no
slack in the cable when the derailleur is in the small chainring (I used
the fourth hand tool to take out the slack).

Is this a simple matter of perhaps creating even less or no slack in the
cable when the derailleur is in the small chainring? Or could the shifter
be somehow broken? Or do I need to get a new front barrel adjuster? Or is
there something else I should be looking at?

Thanks,

Bob

Bob in CT wrote:
> I adjusted the front Ultegra derailleur on my Lemond bike by using the
> following:
>
> http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_frontderailleur.shtml
>

> Is this a simple matter of perhaps creating even less or no slack in
> the cable when the derailleur is in the small chainring? Or could
> the shifter be somehow broken? Or do I need to get a new front
> barrel adjuster? Or is there something else I should be looking at?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob

Yep, a tiny little slack, line up the travel stop, and you're there. Then
adjust the external travle, and use the barrel adjuster to get the trimming
on the middle ring. Just watch that you route the cable correctly on the
grip, or you'll have horrible problems getting the shifting perfect (I know
coz I got it "wrong" even though it looked "right" from the instruction
leaflet, and in the end had to take it into the LBS, who laughed in a
friendly and caring way, while saying that they have no end of Ultegra
triples with wrong cable routing and poor shifting... to my disgust it took
less than a minute to get it perfect... and they had so much of a chuckle
that they wouldn't charge :)

Good luck,
Chris

--
________________________

Chris Walters
Hungerford, UK
________________________

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 22:11:48 +0100, Chris Walters <[email protected]> wrote:

> Bob in CT wrote:
>> I adjusted the front Ultegra derailleur on my Lemond bike by using the
>> following:
>>
>> http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_frontderailleur.shtml
>>

>> Is this a simple matter of perhaps creating even less or no slack in
>> the cable when the derailleur is in the small chainring? Or could
>> the shifter be somehow broken? Or do I need to get a new front
>> barrel adjuster? Or is there something else I should be looking at?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Bob

> Yep, a tiny little slack, line up the travel stop, and you're there. Then
> adjust the external travle, and use the barrel adjuster to get the
> trimming
> on the middle ring. Just watch that you route the cable correctly on the
> grip, or you'll have horrible problems getting the shifting perfect (I
> know
> coz I got it "wrong" even though it looked "right" from the instruction
> leaflet, and in the end had to take it into the LBS, who laughed in a
> friendly and caring way, while saying that they have no end of Ultegra
> triples with wrong cable routing and poor shifting... to my disgust it
> took
> less than a minute to get it perfect... and they had so much of a chuckle
> that they wouldn't charge :)
>
> Good luck,
> Chris

Thanks, Chris. I'll also take a look at the cable routing, as I also
replaced my handlebars (went wider) so I did reroute everything.