problems with triples

hotlipsmc

Jul 8, 2004
Hi, just wondering if anyone could help me with a problem (or two). Have just bought a bike (Giant OCR zero), and have put durace triple cranks on it, and upgraded the derailleurs (Ultegra) to triples.

Problems: 1. The front derailleur cage will not hold a consistent position.. that is you set it up with all the right clearances left and right, ride up hill and the cage has moved (usually 2-3mm, usually downhill) so it a) throws the chain off onto the bottom bracket or b) will not change back onto the big ring. The deraileur, or at least the cage seems to be able to move about. It is a clamp on unit, and I suspected point of movement may have been between the clamp and the derailleur, so I tried a longer, stronger bolt, but the problem still occurs.

Problem: 2 The chain drops off the middle to the small chain ring under load when on the big rear cog, even with the front derailleur adjusted so it is just touching the left side of the chain on the middle position.

Question: Is the Ultegra front triple derailleur combatible with durace triple cranks? Durace 53/39/30. Ultegra 52/42/30. The shimano technical blurb say the ultegra derailleur can handle a jump of 10 teeth middle to top, Durace 14, but when I spoke to Shimano, the guy said the two derailleurs should be interchangable....

Thanks for your time and thoughts..

hotlipsmc said:
Hi, just wondering if anyone could help me with a problem (or two). Have just bought a bike (Giant OCR zero), and have put durace triple cranks on it, and upgraded the derailleurs (Ultegra) to triples.

Problems: 1. The front derailleur cage will not hold a consistent position.. that is you set it up with all the right clearances left and right, ride up hill and the cage has moved (usually 2-3mm, usually downhill) so it a) throws the chain off onto the bottom bracket or b) will not change back onto the big ring. The deraileur, or at least the cage seems to be able to move about. It is a clamp on unit, and I suspected point of movement may have been between the clamp and the derailleur, so I tried a longer, stronger bolt, but the problem still occurs.

Problem: 2 The chain drops off the middle to the small chain ring under load when on the big rear cog, even with the front derailleur adjusted so it is just touching the left side of the chain on the middle position.

Question: Is the Ultegra front triple derailleur combatible with durace triple cranks? Durace 53/39/30. Ultegra 52/42/30. The shimano technical blurb say the ultegra derailleur can handle a jump of 10 teeth middle to top, Durace 14, but when I spoke to Shimano, the guy said the two derailleurs should be interchangable....

Thanks for your time and thoughts..
I'm assuming you are using a braze on FD with an adapter clamp. If the deralier is not mounted correctly to the adapter clamp it will move. That is where your biggest problem is. Everything I have ever heard from Shimano says the DA FD is required for the 30/39/53 rings of the DA triple crank. Some people get the ultegra FD to work,but the DA works better.

Don't know about the Ultegra FD, but I'm using a DA triple FD which shifts great on 53/39/30 FSA chainrings. Since the chainring shifts are so easy, I use them a lot on our rolling hills here vs running out and back with the RD.

Hey thanks for the advice, it sounds like I will have to upgrade to DA FD, which is annoying, because it would have only been a few extra dollars over the ultergra, but will now cost a small fortuna to buy out right here in Aussie. Oh well...

I should also ask if anyone else has heard of problems using Ultegra FD with DA triple cranks? What about problems with braze on FD's vs clamp on?

Actually, another quick question.. Is there a problem with Durace bottom brackets (9 speed)? Is ultegra more reliable??

hotlipsmc said:
I should also ask if anyone else has heard of problems using Ultegra FD with DA triple cranks? What about problems with braze on FD's vs clamp on?
Yeah. The DA triple front is specifically designed for the 30/39/53 rings of the DA triple crank. The Ultegra has a bit different design for the 30/42/52 rings. Some people get ultegras to work with 39 middle rings(me), but there are just fewer issues if you use the DA triple front. I use barze on, braze ons with an adapter calmp and clamp ons. Only issue with a true braze on can the the inability to lower the deralier if you are using small rings.

hotlipsmc said:
Actually, another quick question.. Is there a problem with Durace bottom brackets (9 speed)? Is ultegra more reliable??
There is no problem with DA BB. It's just more touchy to install correctly and requires periodic maintenance where the ultegra is a no brainer throwaway. I never thought it was worth the extra expense and hassle of the DA to save 49 grams.

So what problems did you have setting up the ultegra FD with the DA triple, and how did you overcome them? How much clearance does your FD have as it passes over the 53 tooth?