Problems with tubes

naked_draughtsman

Guest
I wonder if anyone can help me out with this problem:

I had a flattened front wheel replaced on my mountain bike and as I was
using 1" road tyres, the bike shop fitted a presta valve innertube,
which I found out today was about half an inch wide.

I've now gone back to 1.85" off raod tyres as I do more off roading now
and also need to get fitter and I intended to replace the presta
innertube with a wider schrader one from my stockpile. This didn't
work though as the hole in the rim isn't big enough and as I have no
problem bending and flattening wheels I didn't fancy drilling it bigger
and making it weaker!

I resorted to putting the original presta tube back in and was
inflating it by hand when it let out a hiss and went flat - it seems
the slimline tube objected to being inflated to such a large size even
though the tyre was nowhere near hard.

I'm now a bit stuck as to what to do next, my options are:
* Find a wide presta innertube more suited to wide tyres
* Buy a replacement presta innertube and go back to narrow road tyres
* Buy another new front wheel designed for schrader valved innertubes

First option is my preferred as I've already had to buy a presta
adaptor for my handpump but are wide presta innertubes easily
available? (and more importantly - cheap!)

Any advice/suggestions/sympathy would be appreciated!

peter

"naked_draughtsman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I'm now a bit stuck as to what to do next, my options are:
> * Find a wide presta innertube more suited to wide tyres
> * Buy a replacement presta innertube and go back to narrow road tyres
> * Buy another new front wheel designed for schrader valved innertubes
>
> First option is my preferred as I've already had to buy a presta
> adaptor for my handpump but are wide presta innertubes easily
> available? (and more importantly - cheap!)

Michelin C4 tubes are available in presta and do both our 1.75" slicks and
our 2.1" knobblies. And it's nice to keep the pump in presta-mode rather
than having to swap between that and schrader.

I'd also use a pump without an adapter, but that's merely because it'll be
less faff.

cheers,
clive

Wiggle will do you 10 Specialized Tubes, Presta MTB 26x1.5-2.2 for 25 quid

"naked_draughtsman" wrote

naked_draughtsman wrote:
> I wonder if anyone can help me out with this problem:
>
> I had a flattened front wheel replaced on my mountain bike and as I was
> using 1" road tyres, the bike shop fitted a presta valve innertube,
> which I found out today was about half an inch wide.
>
> I've now gone back to 1.85" off raod tyres as I do more off roading now
> and also need to get fitter and I intended to replace the presta
> innertube with a wider schrader one from my stockpile. This didn't
> work though as the hole in the rim isn't big enough and as I have no
> problem bending and flattening wheels I didn't fancy drilling it bigger
> and making it weaker!
>
> I resorted to putting the original presta tube back in and was
> inflating it by hand when it let out a hiss and went flat - it seems
> the slimline tube objected to being inflated to such a large size even
> though the tyre was nowhere near hard.
>
> I'm now a bit stuck as to what to do next, my options are:
> * Find a wide presta innertube more suited to wide tyres
> * Buy a replacement presta innertube and go back to narrow road tyres
> * Buy another new front wheel designed for schrader valved innertubes
>
> First option is my preferred as I've already had to buy a presta
> adaptor for my handpump but are wide presta innertubes easily
> available? (and more importantly - cheap!)
>
> Any advice/suggestions/sympathy would be appreciated!

Next time you find yourself at a bike show, look out for stalls doing 10
inner tubes for 10 pounds.

Failing that, try:
http://www.bikepimp.co.uk/search/inner+tube+presta

Or if you are in a bit more of a hurry and live near a Decathlon store,
they do tubes for ~£2

--
JimP
--

"naked_draughtsman" <[email protected]>typed

> First option is my preferred as I've already had to buy a presta
> adaptor for my handpump but are wide presta innertubes easily
> available? (and more importantly - cheap!)

Not too difficult, not too pricy. You have to know what you're looking
for and not get fobbed off with 622/18...

Online purchase is a possibility.

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

in message <[email protected]>,
naked_draughtsman ('[email protected]') wrote:

> I wonder if anyone can help me out with this problem:
>
> I'm now a bit stuck as to what to do next, my options are:
> * Find a wide presta innertube more suited to wide tyres

That's the one.

> * Buy a replacement presta innertube and go back to narrow road tyres

Not if you want to ride off road.

> * Buy another new front wheel designed for schrader valved innertubes

Not unless all your other bikes and pumps are Schraeder.

> First option is my preferred as I've already had to buy a presta
> adaptor for my handpump but are wide presta innertubes easily
> available?

Yes.

> (and more importantly - cheap!)

That, too.

;; single speed mountain bikes: for people who cycle on flat mountains.

Just drill out the holes - I've done it on every undersized rim I have
ever owned with no problem and even had the bike shop do it on the last
bike we bought. This will also have the advantage that whatever type of
tubes your mates use you will always be able to scrounge them albeit the
Prestas will rattle around in the schrader sized hole. I believe the
only place for Presta valves is on a road bike (duck for cover).

Mike