Problems with women's cycling

Simple solution to the "problems with women's cycling" is for women to take control of their own destiny/future. Women should not expect men to consistently/constantly champion their cause...

Jane Belleville said:
There is a five part discussion with considerable amount of content and solutions to the problems with women's cycling. You can give your two cents worth if you want. Other parts are clickable on the side panel.

The Problem with Women’s Cycling kerry-litka.com|small things considered

Jane

It's not a problem that can be simply boiled down to one party's responsibility, as in it's women that are responsible for fixing it or for the problem itself. Like most things involving humans, it's stupid to approach a problem or a fix from just one side.

You make good points in your blog article, but there are others that need mentioned. Sports, through out most of the history of sport, have been male dominated. They're male dominated in terms of money, in terms of fan base, even in coaching methods (i.e., they've likely been based, more often than not, on what's worked for men.). As a result, there's some residual institutional bias against women's cycling. This isn't to say that it's intentional, but rather that cycling hasn't fully adapted to women's competition or involvement in the sport.

Solving the issue is no easy task. Women need a bigger fan base. After all, with more fans comes more people to which sponsors can advertise and more people reading and demanding more press on women's cycling. It's tough though to get fans without press and money. The press need to publish more on women's cycling. Frankly, I think all the magazines and major cycling websites do a **** poor job of giving coverage to women. There are big articles on men's racing and male cyclists, whereas women's racing is quite often lucky to get more than a column. A bigger slice of the limelight, from the magazines, would be a bonus.

Women don't have that grand big race or races. Le TdF Féminin was never a big success, nor a big draw for fans. Press coverage certainly wasn't, uhm, voluminous. Let's face it, the TdF, has introduced a lot of fans to cycling, especially in countries outside of Europe, where cycling isn't so intertwined in daily life and in history. The same can be said about the Classics, the Giro....This goes hand in hand with the fact that women don't have the history replete with legends.

Outside of Jeannie Longo, I can't think of any female racers that have truly been "legends." You know that history is important to a lot of fans of men's cycling. Unfortunately, history only comes with time and can't be grown in the short term. As for the idea that women aren't loyal to a team or are out for themselves, that's a lot like what men's racing was like for a significant part of the 20th Century. Read about the TdF for the first ten, twenty, or summat years: all sorts of back stabbing and riding for one's self was going on. I don't believe it's that a lack of team loyalty has anything to do with anything innate in women. It's only the result of women's racing not having had the time to mature as men's racing did.

The overall improvement to the lot of female cyclists and women's racing isn't something that's going to rapidly improve: there are just too many facets to the problem to fix in just a year or two or maybe ten.

I don't think there's a concrete sequence of steps for improving the lot of women's racing.

LOL! The King strikes again...:D...

The solution is not as convoluted as your turgid response avows.

You've got way too much time on your hands...try unplugging for awhile and untwist...get out in the real world as the netscape has got wound way too tight...better yet, seeing as you have the solutions - go help fix the problem...I didn't think so...

alienator said:
I don't think there's a concrete sequence of steps for improving the lot of women's racing.

Gotta agree there. While I respect and admire women athletes that are out there doing their thing, I don't think equal airtime and coverage are going to elevate sports spectating (in general) to the same importance in the psyche of women viewers as it currently holds for male viewers. For that reason it's going to be a long time before women's sports have anywhere near the fan base that men's sports currently have.

The television execs know who's holding the remote control during weekday viewing hours, and who's holding it on the weekends.

I live in Denmark and the shops here have to cater to women or go out of business as there are as many women who ride as men. Of course some places are better than others, but we are lucky and have a big choice and can chose another place if we like.

There are a large number of speciality bikes for moving children and things you buy and it is common for a family to have bikes for each member plus a speciality bike or two. Women are often a big part in the decision on the speciality bikes.

tonyzackery said:
Simple solution to the "problems with women's cycling" is for women to take control of their own destiny/future. Women should not expect men to consistently/constantly champion their cause...

Canadian Cyclist - Linda Jackson on Running a Pro Women's Cycling Team

A fantastic example of a woman taking control of her destiny and running her own pro team. As the vested interest is there beyond simply making a return on investment, you can believe she is giving 120% towards the success of her creation.

This is required and necessary, IMO, for women's cycling to survive/thrive...I can appreciate that it can be an intimidating proposition to become the "boss" with its accompanying responsibilities, but more women in managing roles will only serve to promote women's cycling in a much better and more effective manner than the current status quo...

alienator said:
Outside of Jeannie Longo, I can't think of any female racers that have truly been "legends." You know that history is important to a lot of fans of men's cycling. Unfortunately, history only comes with time and can't be grown in the short term. As for the idea that women aren't loyal to a team or are out for themselves, that's a lot like what men's racing was like for a significant part of the 20th Century.

One of the early 'legends' of womens cycle racing was Beryl Burton. I recall Longo mentioning her influence on her after she won one of her Tour Feminin's back around 87/88. Here's a little clip from her obituary:

Even though technology has improved the performance of machines, no woman has ridden faster than Burton at 25 miles (1976, 53 min 21 sec), 50 miles (1976, 1 hour 51 min 30 sec), 100 miles (1968, 3 hours 55 min 05 sec) and 12 hours (1967, 277.25 miles), and no British woman has won a world track pursuit title since Burton's last championship victory 30 years ago. Her 1967 assault on the 12-hour time trial was the more remarkable for the fact that she was pitted against men, and the distance she covered in that time was 5 3/4 miles further than the British men's record at that time. Cycling folklore has it that as she passed the leading man she offered him a stick of liquorice as "the poor dear seemed to be struggling a bit".

Despite her sucesses she never gained much in the way of public support, even lacking support from the British Cycling Federation. Despite her outgoing nature, womens cycling in Britain really didn't take off. The French seemed more enamoured with her than anyone else.

Beryl Burton at speed.
bburton2.jpg

Yvonne McGregor was the same way in England. She broke the hour record, previously held by Longo and Marsal, in 95 and won gold in the 2000 4km pursuit as well as a bunch on national titles in all disciplines. Again, not much in the way of fanfare or support except this time the BCF did take notice. Sadly, I think she was on the wrong end of Peter Keen's "culling" at the end of 2001. I got to meet Yvonne a number of times (my coach helped her coach during the mid 90's). A great gal, hard a fecking nails and always wanted to do more. Always willing to help at coaching conferences to get more girls/women interested.

Sadly, it just goes to show that despite the efforts of some of the best in the sport, it's not easy to create great change in attitude amongst the masses.

swampy1970 said:
One of the early 'legends' of womens cycle racing was Beryl Burton. I recall Longo mentioning her influence on her after she won one of her Tour Feminin's back around 87/88. Here's a little clip from her obituary:...

Damn, there's a name from the past. I remember reading Cycling back in the late 70's / early 80's, and Beryl was winning just about everything she went in. At the time of Tony Doyle, she was the consumate TT'er. I think the typesetter at Cycling probably had her name in a pre-cast block to speed up his work.
Thanks for reminding me.

In this world nothing is impossible but for that we must have to prepare from our mind otherwise we can't do anything for any rpoble and that's true. Cycling probelms with women is not a big issue this would be also solved as the time goes because women have power to fight against everything from the begining.