Probs with Dave Hinde Mail Order

PaulJ

New Member
Apr 29, 2003
Has anyone else had any mail order problems with Dave Hinde? I ordered some items in Feb which I was charged for immediatley yet to date have not been despatched. After 4 assurances (and numerous excuses) spanning 6 weeks that the items were in the post Dave Hinde finally admitted they had never been sent. Now for the tricky bit...getting a refund. I have asked for a refund and they agreed (which is nothing more than my legal entitlement anyway). But in spite of having assured me on 3 separate occasions that the refund has been done, it hasn't (and each time they have promised to send email confirmation that it has been done but funnily enough the emails have never arrived). I have had an incessant run of excuses and lies from them (such as " we sent them yesterday" then a week later "oh they didn't go last week as we didn't have enough items to warrant a courier but they were actually sent yesterday" and "oh we tried to trace the package and Parcel Force has lost it but we have sent out another" Ditto the refund. Yesterday the manager hung up on me when I asked him how long he planned to mess me around for. Fortunately the matter has been taken up by the legal dept of my credit card company but I just wondered if anyone else has had constant lying and similar problems with them?

No, but I'm having problems with Bourne Sports ...

Grrrrr ....

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

Can't offer any advice but all I can say is that it's good that you take the time to make these posts. It's important that bad service quickly gets exposed.

For more info, check this thread out - 84 posts of unhappy Dave Hinde customers. It's shocking reading actually but sad to say I can relate to a whole lot of experiences that these guys have been through with said company. I know I won't be shopping there ever again. I can cope with shipping delays, but incessant lying is inexcusable:

http://www.bikemagic.com/forum/forummessages.asp?UTN=43382&URN=22&SP=322873218651456789548&V=1&cp=1

This one too is a prime example of their approach to customer care:

http://forums13.consumerreview.com/[email protected]@.efa1a65

It's amazing what you can find out from fellow cyclists, isn't it

I've always used either Chain Reaction or Merlin.

Both faultless and if you're looking for wheels, I bought what some would consider a 'budgety' pair
fom Merlin a couple years ago (STX-RC hibs with teny rims for about £50). They've put up with the
punishment of my fat arsed
17.5 stone frame taking them off-road regularly and they're still going strong. Needed two or three
minor tweeks to my recollection over the years.

Well done guys.

Z.

danielstevens wrote:

>I actually don't use the road anymore and illegally use the path that runs down the hill to the
>right as it takes me to the most convienant exit. Been doing this for three years and never been
>close to having an accident with peds. If i anticipate that i will be cycling close to peds / dogs
>i brake to dead slow, i.e walking pace.

A colleague of mine cycles that way. At 7.30 one morning, cycling up the hill, he was pulled over by
the Parks' Police and told to push. The police were driving around the footpaths in their car!

The Parks' Police always used to patrol on foot with an alsatian on a leash, or on horseback. Now
they just drive around in their car all day yelling at 14 year olds to get off the swings, or
preventing innocent cyclists from locking their bike up within the park because, "it might have
explosives concealed in the frame".

However, I cannot condone your cycling on the footpath, instead you should be lobbying for the
status of the path to be changed. Also the road connecting Greenwich Town centre with the road
through the park should have a contra-flow cycle lane.

Each year I lead a group of up to 50 children from school (John Ball, next to Blackheath station car
park) and their parents on a cycle ride to Barrier Gardens, along the river. I obtain written
consent to lead the ride along the bottom of the park and out of the central lower gate next to the
boating pond, to link up with the Thames Cycle Path at the Trafalgar Tavern.
--
remove remove to reply

"PaulJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Has anyone else had any mail order problems with Dave Hinde? I ordered some items in Feb which I
> was charged for immediatley yet to date have not been despatched. I have had an incessant run of
> excuses and lies from them (such as " we
sent them yesterday"
> then a week later ")

Paul, thanks for the posting. I've been having exactly the same problems with them for the past four
weeks with an order.

Same lies, same non-delivery, same excuses, and my money taken the day the order was placed.

For some odd reason I was giving them the benefit of the doubt, but your posting has made it clear
that I now need to take heavy steps to get my money back.

DO NOT ORDER FROM DAVE HINDE folks!!!! Let's get the message spread!

cheers, tom

disclaimer: My personal opinions, not those of my employer

Just wanted to say how impressed I am with Wiggle. Placed on order for 4 different items late on
Monday evening, received an email saying it had been packed on Tuesday, package arrived Wednesday.
--
Michael MacClancy

When ever I've ordered any stuff from Wiggle, it's arrived quickly - same from Prendas Ciclismo and
CTC. Only place I've experienced difficulties with is Bourne Sports.

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

Tom, I've had so many probs that I didn't go into here it's untrue. Apart from the bits they didn't send that they have charged me for, they sent the wrong width handlebars, wrong size cassette, and wrong sized bottom bracket.
Trying to get them to acknowledge their errors is terrible. For a start they never sent confirmation of the order (which by law they have to do in writing - email, fax or letter) otherwise I might have been able to correct them before the order was despatched but the law is on my side. Earlier this week the manager of the shop hung up the phone on me mid-conversation. And from the research I've done, they frequently act like this. Trading Standards in Chester are looking after this for me so if you are also having probs, drop Trading Standards a line at http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cheshire
Cheers Paul

"PaulJ" <[email protected]> wrote:
>Tom, I've had so many probs that I didn't go into here it's untrue. Apart from the bits they didn't
>send that they have charged me for, they sent the wrong width handlebars, wrong size cassette, and
>wrong sized bottom bracket. Trying to get them to acknowledge their errors is terrible.

Paul,

Thanks for the follow-up. My list of trading problems with Dave Hinde are almost identical to yours
and include:

1) False claims about the parts being sent (and 'lost' in the post)
2) Claims that my parcel had been recalled (this is NOT possible with Royal Mail recorded delivery)
3) Rudeness and personal insults when trying to query the order status via phone (including
hanging up on me)
4) No replies to any of my correspondence, fax or email
5) No refund to date, and no still no goods, 4 weeks after payment was taken.

One scam they seem to pull during phone discussions is to claim that any replies from them
have been sent by email. No emails ever arrive, and they claim the problem must be with YOUR
email provider/service. They claimed to have sent me an email without me ever providing them
an email address!!

Do you have a specific name at Trading Standards Chester that I can follow-up the complaint process
with. It may help both our cases.

Is Scott A still reading this thread? Have your parts ordered from Dave Hinde turned up yet?

Thanks Paul.

tom. Disclaimer: These are my personal opinions, not those of my employer.

PaulJ <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Tom, I've had so many probs that I didn't go into here it's untrue. Apart from the bits they
> didn't send that they have charged me for, they sent the wrong width handlebars, wrong size
> cassette, and wrong sized bottom bracket. Trying to get them to acknowledge their errors is
> terrible. For a start they never sent confirmation of the order (which by law they have to do in
> writing - email, fax or letter) otherwise I might have been able to correct them before the order
> was despatched but the law is on my side. Earlier this week the manager of the shop hung up the
> phone on me mid-conversation. And from the research I've done, they frequently act like this.
> Trading Standards in Chester are looking after this for me so if you are also having probs, drop
> Trading Standards a line at http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cheshire Cheers Paul

I had problems with Saddlesore - which thankfully now longer trade on the web. I have had excellent
service from Geoffrey Butler, Mike Dyason , JE James , bikedock.

My advice would be:-

always do a google search on any web trader.

When complaining - a letter to your Local MP seems to get swift results.

When ordering - ask if the item is in stock - if it isn't get agreement that your charge card won't
be charged until despatch - put this in writting, and send it recorded delivery. (show them youre
not going to be messed with)

If in doubt it is better to go to a slightly more expensive trader.

- Anyway - I was considering a dave hinde set of wheels - will go elsewhere now.

Pete.

Pete, what you say makes perfect sense and all sounds very reasonable. However, when dealing with Dave Hinde, all reason goes out the window. I was given confirmation that items were in stock/had been desptached/had been refunded and they were all lies. Promised emails never arrived, they never responded back to my emails..... the list goes on. By law, they are not supposed to charge anything until the goods are ready for despatch...they don't adhere to this law....just like many other laws they are in breach of. They are the most unprofessional outfit. It's impossible trying to deal with them. Trading Standards have intervened on my behalf and so has my credit card company. I would have taken themto small claims court otherwise, and armed with the info I have about their service (or lack of it) from a multitude of web sites, I'm sure I could have won my case!

Michael MacClancy <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Just wanted to say how impressed I am with Wiggle. Placed on order for 4 different items late on
> Monday evening, received an email saying it had been packed on Tuesday, package arrived Wednesday.

Agreed - I'm quite a new Wiggle customer and have only used them once to date, but the service was
second-to-none; very quick indeed. As far as the subject line goes, I've used Hinde once for a pair
of wheels - a little bit late in arriving, admittedly, but the wheels themselves were very good.
Other than Wiggle, mail-order recommendations in no real order;

Geoffrey Butler (v. good place to pick up cheap cycling shoes when their sales are on - check the CW
ads) Parker International (good wheelbuilders) Settle Cycles (extra brownie points for being
post-free!) www.sdeals.com; being very much a family business, sometimes difficult to catch them 'at
home', but they're v. helpful once you do.

David E. Belcher

Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

Michael MacClancy <[email protected]> wrote: ( Just wanted to say how impressed I am with
Wiggle. Placed on order for ) 4 different items late on Monday evening, received an email saying it
( had been packed on Tuesday, package arrived Wednesday.

... but they will send you their regular junk e-mails, even if you tick the no-junk-emails box whcih
for some odd reason they provide.

David E. Belcher wrote:
> Agreed - I'm quite a new Wiggle customer and have only used them once to date, but the service was
> second-to-none; very quick indeed. As far as the subject line goes, I've used Hinde once for a
> pair of wheels - a little bit late in arriving, admittedly, but the wheels themselves were very
> good. Other than Wiggle, mail-order recommendations in no real order;
>
> Geoffrey Butler (v. good place to pick up cheap cycling shoes when their sales are on - check the
> CW ads) Parker International (good wheelbuilders) Settle Cycles (extra brownie points for being
> post-free!) www.sdeals.com; being very much a family business, sometimes difficult to catch them
> 'at home', but they're v. helpful once you do.

Another (new-to-me) one I'd like to add to the list is Oldham Cycle Centre: Quick despatch and some
very low prices on certain Campag items (including new Mirage Ergos).

Deeside are also good (although website doesn't always bear much resemblance to what they
actually have).

Parker Int have a huge range of (road) stuff with good prices. They need to develop more of a proper
online service, but website is very handy to use as a quick "default" price guide before browsing
elsewhere.

I've also been very impressed with Wiggle - fast service and the stock control system really helps
(they're one of the few dealers that can be trusted to have what they advertise!). Their £3.99
postage charge is offputting though.

~PB

news:<[email protected]>...

> Another (new-to-me) one I'd like to add to the list is Oldham Cycle Centre: Quick despatch and
> some very low prices on certain Campag items (including new Mirage Ergos).

I'd forgotten about them, but have indeed used them in the past for cheap Campag stuff.