Produce, Decoded

Nancy Young

Guest
This is straight out of Reader's Digest:

Those little stickers on fruits and vegetables at the
supermarket aren't just for the checkout clerk to find the
price. You can use the numbers to figure out how the produce
you're buying has been grown.

A sticker with four digits means the food was conventionally
grown. Five digits starting with an 8 indicate genetically
engineered produce (the food's genetic material has been
altered), and five digits starting with a 9 means the food
was organically grown (without the use of most conventional
pesticides or synthetic fertilizers).

Don't worry if you can't remove all the sticker adhesive -
it's required to be safe to eat.

(writer: Neena Samuel)

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 15:16:39 -0500, Nancy Young
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Don't worry if you can't remove all the sticker adhesive -
>it's required to be safe to eat.

I've eaten the not just the adhesive, but the stickers as
well. Chopped them right up while stuck to the vegetable.

Everyone could use a little more fiber in their diet.

Thanks for the info, BTW. I never knew that.

-sw

Nancy Young <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
news:[email protected]:

> This is straight out of Reader's Digest:
>
> Those little stickers on fruits and vegetables at the
> supermarket aren't just for the checkout clerk to find the
> price. You can use the numbers to figure out how the
> produce you're buying has been grown.
>
> A sticker with four digits means the food was
> conventionally grown. Five digits starting with an 8
> indicate genetically engineered produce (the food's
> genetic material has been altered), and five digits
> starting with a 9 means the food was organically grown
> (without the use of most conventional pesticides or
> synthetic fertilizers).
>
> Don't worry if you can't remove all the sticker adhesive -
> it's required to be safe to eat.
>
> (writer: Neena Samuel)

Interesting info and thanks for posting it. I had no idea. I
get so irritated with those stickers.

Michael
--
Deathbed statement...

"Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d.
December 12, 1968

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Don't worry if you can't remove all the sticker adhesive -
> it's required to be safe to eat.

Unless you're a vegan and don't like ingesting any products
derived from an animal source.

(Not that I am - just making an observation.)
--
Donna A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist
hopes they are.

Steve Wertz wrote:
> I've eaten the not just the adhesive, but the stickers as
> well. Chopped them right up while stuck to the vegetable.
>
> Everyone could use a little more fiber in their diet.

A few times I have missed those stickers until it is too
late. I now know what sauted sticker tastes like: tasteless.
Anyway, I doubt even the sticker is harmful. I am still
alive, and I swear I am not crazy.

--
John Gaughan http://www.johngaughan.net/
[email protected]

Nancy Young <[email protected]> wrote:

>Don't worry if you can't remove all the sticker adhesive -
>it's required to be safe to eat.

It was the tastiest part of one Chilean nectarine I had a
couple of weeks ago.

--Blair "The rest was a
crime against nature."

Donna Rose wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,

> > Don't worry if you can't remove all the sticker adhesive
> > - it's required to be safe to eat.
> >

> Unless you're a vegan and don't like ingesting any
> products derived from an animal source.

In that event they wouldn't buy anything with a sticker
on it, no?

nancy

John Gaughan <[email protected]> wrote:
>Steve Wertz wrote:
>> I've eaten the not just the adhesive, but the stickers as
>> well. Chopped them right up while stuck to the vegetable.
>>
>> Everyone could use a little more fiber in their diet.
>
>A few times I have missed those stickers until it is too
>late. I now know what sauted sticker tastes like:
>tasteless. Anyway, I doubt even the sticker is harmful. I
>am still alive, and I swear I am not crazy.

I grated the label into my asiago once.

--Blair "Didn't notice until
cleanup time."

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Donna Rose wrote:
> >
> > In article <[email protected]>,
>
> > > Don't worry if you can't remove all the sticker
> > > adhesive - it's required to be safe to eat.
> > >

> > Unless you're a vegan and don't like ingesting any
> > products derived from an animal source.
>
> In that event they wouldn't buy anything with a sticker
> on it, no?

My guess is that would be their choice - however, have you
tried finding produce without those stickers lately? I
usually root through the bins looking for the occasional one
that doesn't have a label on it, since I find them so
difficult to remove on some things. And I buy most of my
produce from the markets in Chinatown, instead of from the
local stupidmarket. I suppose the farmers' markets would be
a good source, though.
--

Nancy Young wrote:

> This is straight out of Reader's Digest:
>
> Those little stickers on fruits and vegetables at the
> supermarket aren't just for the checkout clerk to find the
> price. You can use the numbers to figure out how the
> produce you're buying has been grown.
>
> A sticker with four digits means the food was
> conventionally grown. Five digits starting with an 8
> indicate genetically engineered produce (the food's
> genetic material has been altered), and five digits
> starting with a 9 means the food was organically grown
> (without the use of most conventional pesticides or
> synthetic fertilizers).
>
> Don't worry if you can't remove all the sticker adhesive -
> it's required to be safe to eat.
>
> (writer: Neena Samuel)

Will you please forward me a decoder ring to wear when I
visit the supermarket.

--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the relig-
ion, and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
-- James Michener

alzelt wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
>
> > This is straight out of Reader's Digest:
> >
> > Those little stickers on fruits and vegetables at the
> > supermarket aren't just for the checkout clerk to find
> > the price. You can use the numbers to figure out how the
> > produce you're buying has been grown.
> >
> > A sticker with four digits means the food was
> > conventionally grown. Five digits starting with an 8
> > indicate genetically engineered produce (the food's
> > genetic material has been altered), and five digits
> > starting with a 9 means the food was organically grown
> > (without the use of most conventional pesticides or
> > synthetic fertilizers).
> >
> > Don't worry if you can't remove all the sticker adhesive
> > - it's required to be safe to eat.
> >
> > (writer: Neena Samuel)
>
> Will you please forward me a decoder ring to wear when I
> visit the supermarket.

Sure, send 5 proofs of purchase and $3.95 s&h.

nancy

<[email protected]> wrote:

>This is straight out of Reader's Digest:
>
>Those little stickers on fruits and vegetables at the
>supermarket aren't just for the checkout clerk to find the
>price. You can use the numbers to figure out how the
>produce you're buying has been grown.
>
>A sticker with four digits means the food was
>conventionally grown. Five digits starting with an 8
>indicate genetically engineered produce (the food's genetic
>material has been altered), and five digits starting with a
>9 means the food was organically grown (without the use of
>most conventional pesticides or synthetic fertilizers).

I've been thinking about this and aren't most of the
"traditionally grown" veggies also genetically modified?
Take a Texas 1015 (4 digits), and obviously the product of a
laboratory (1015 stands for something significant - like
10:15 in the morning when it was finally created).

In a way, all the veggies we've grown all over the decades
have been genetically modified, whether in a lab, or VIA
selective breeding and crossbreeding.

-sw

In article <[email protected]>,
alzelt <[email protected]> wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
>
> > This is straight out of Reader's Digest:
> >
> > Those little stickers on fruits and vegetables at the
> > supermarket aren't just for the checkout clerk to find
> > the price. You can use the numbers to figure out how the
> > produce you're buying has been grown.
> >
> > A sticker with four digits means the food was
> > conventionally grown. Five digits starting with an 8
> > indicate genetically engineered produce (the food's
> > genetic material has been altered), and five digits
> > starting with a 9 means the food was organically grown
> > (without the use of most conventional pesticides or
> > synthetic fertilizers).
> >
> > Don't worry if you can't remove all the sticker adhesive
> > - it's required to be safe to eat.
> >
> > (writer: Neena Samuel)
>
> Will you please forward me a decoder ring to wear when I
> visit the supermarket.

ROTFLMAO!!! Excellent, Alan.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-13-04.
Rec.food.cooking's Preserved Fruit Administrator (I've got

Nancy Young wrote:

> alzelt wrote:
>
>>Nancy Young wrote:
>>

>>>This is straight out of Reader's Digest:
>>>
>>>Those little stickers on fruits and vegetables at the
>>>supermarket aren't just for the checkout clerk to find
>>>the price. You can use the numbers to figure out how the
>>>produce you're buying has been grown.
>>>
>>>A sticker with four digits means the food was
>>>conventionally grown. Five digits starting with an 8
>>>indicate genetically engineered produce (the food's
>>>genetic material has been altered), and five digits
>>>starting with a 9 means the food was organically grown
>>>(without the use of most conventional pesticides or
>>>synthetic fertilizers).
>>>
>>>Don't worry if you can't remove all the sticker adhesive
>>>- it's required to be safe to eat.
>>>
>>>(writer: Neena Samuel)
>>
>>Will you please forward me a decoder ring to wear when I
>>visit the supermarket.
>

> Sure, send 5 proofs of purchase and $3.95 s&h.
>
> nancy
I have five TPR labels but no proof of purchase. :)
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the relig-
ion, and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
-- James Michener

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 22:36:10 GMT, Donna Rose
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
>[email protected] says...
>> Don't worry if you can't remove all the sticker adhesive
>> - it's required to be safe to eat.
>>

>Unless you're a vegan and don't like ingesting any products
>derived from an animal source.
>
>(Not that I am - just making an observation.)

I'll bite. What is it that you presume the adhesive
contains?

B.Server <[email protected]> wrote:
>On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 22:36:10 GMT, Donna Rose
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>In article <[email protected]>,
>>[email protected] says...
>>> Don't worry if you can't remove all the sticker adhesive
>>> - it's required to be safe to eat.
>>>

>>Unless you're a vegan and don't like ingesting any
>>products derived from an animal source.
>>
>>(Not that I am - just making an observation.)
>
>I'll bite. What is it that you presume the adhesive
>contains?

Antioxidants.

Caloric.

Myrrh.

--Blair "Pass the
phlogiston, will you?"

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 22:36:10 GMT, Donna Rose
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >In article <[email protected]>,
> >[email protected] says...
> >> Don't worry if you can't remove all the sticker
> >> adhesive - it's required to be safe to eat.
> >>

> >Unless you're a vegan and don't like ingesting any
> >products derived from an animal source.
> >
> >(Not that I am - just making an observation.)
>
> I'll bite. What is it that you presume the adhesive
> contains?

Isn't glue made from horse's hooves or something?