Professional cyclist 2003

Rik Van Diesel

Guest
Professional (pre fesh'e nl)adj. 1.following an occupation as a means of livelihood. ......11. a
person who earns a living in a sport or other occupation frequently engagaed by amateurs. ....Random
House 1997 College edition

Random House just called 90% of the cyclist in the US Amateurs. Unless living off your
girlfriend/family and trying to deposit Powerbars in your bank account to pay bills can be called
earning a living.

RVD Hater of all these faux Pro's. Faux Pro Go Slow.

Listen RVD (and damn if I'm still procrastinating- it's gonna be 7 before I'm done with the ride
tonight)- let's just welcome everyone to the sport. It doesn't matter if their license says pro or
amateur. The fact is most Cat1's that want to be pro just want it so they can get into the five
coolest races in the USA. And there is nothing wrong with that. As far as pro team riders not
getting a salary, that is too bad. It is the economics of bike racing. I wish it were different. Now
lets SUAR, with a smile. "Rik Van Diesel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Professional (pre fesh'e nl)adj. 1.following an occupation as a means of livelihood. ......11. a
> person who earns a living in a sport or other occupation frequently engagaed by amateurs.
> ....Random House 1997 College edition
>
> Random House just called 90% of the cyclist in the US Amateurs. Unless living off your
> girlfriend/family and trying to deposit Powerbars in your bank account to pay bills can be called
> earning a living.
>
> RVD Hater of all these faux Pro's. Faux Pro Go Slow.

Amateurs do it for love, Pro's do it to make a living. But I bet pro bike racers love their jobs
more than all us Cat 1's and 2's love ours. Greg

"John Lieswyn" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<6aGX9.1104$_s4.112@rwcrnsc54>...
> Listen RVD (and damn if I'm still procrastinating- it's gonna be 7 before I'm done with the ride
> tonight)- let's just welcome everyone to the sport. It doesn't matter if their license says pro or
> amateur. The fact is most Cat1's that want to be pro just want it so they can get into the five
> coolest races in the USA. And there is nothing wrong with that. As far as pro team riders not
> getting a salary, that is too bad. It is the economics of bike racing. I wish it were different.
> Now lets SUAR, with a smile.

Johnny L,

Guys would like to go to the TDF, but it doesn't make sense if you can't finish a NRC race. Every
time I turn around another kid is going to some D3 team because they are under 27, not because they
are lighting the world on fire. This effects your cash earning potential because "ghost" riders
(they usually get something of cash value from the team eg. bike) take away from your salary
dollars, and take talent from amateur teams just because of the allure of being called "PRO". Then
they don't get to develop because they don't get picked for the races (lack of talent), or they are
some broke ass D3 team who runs out of cash at Seaotter (lack of cash), and only does a local
programs ( Definition of an amateur team)…. Side note pro teams run out of cash at Corestates…..
These things bug me. It makes it harder to run an amateur program because there is marketing value
in being "PRO" even if you don't have the cash to do a great program, and it slows the development
of these riders. Basically I hate the age limit on the D3 teams, that there is no minimum salary for
riders, and that most of these guys would rather race for a "pro" team with no money than an amateur
team. I will see you at the races, and I will try and get over my bitterness.

RVD

"Rik Van Diesel" <.google.com...
> "John Lieswyn" <jlieswyn$_s4.112@rwcrnsc54>...
> > Listen RVD (and damn if I'm still procrastinating- it's gonna be 7
before
> > I'm done with the ride tonight)- let's just welcome everyone to the
sport.
> > It doesn't matter if their license says pro or amateur. The fact is
most
> > Cat1's that want to be pro just want it so they can get into the five coolest races in the USA.
> > And there is nothing wrong with that. As far
as
> > pro team riders not getting a salary, that is too bad. It is the
economics
> > of bike racing. I wish it were different. Now lets SUAR, with a smile.
>
> Johnny L,
>
> Guys would like to go to the TDF, but it doesn't make sense if you can't finish a NRC race. Every
> time I turn around another kid is going to some D3 team because they are under 27, not because
> they are lighting the world on fire. This effects your cash earning potential because "ghost"
> riders (they usually get something of cash value from the team eg. bike) take away from your
> salary dollars, and take talent from amateur teams just because of the allure of being called
> "PRO". Then they don't get to develop because they don't get picked for the races (lack of
> talent), or they are some broke ass D3 team who runs out of cash at Seaotter (lack of cash), and
> only does a local programs ( Definition of an amateur team).. Side note pro teams run out of cash
> at Corestates... These things bug me. It makes it harder to run an amateur program because there
> is marketing value in being "PRO" even if you don't have the cash to do a great program, and it
> slows the development of these riders. Basically I hate the age limit on the D3 teams, that there
> is no minimum salary for riders, and that most of these guys would rather race for a "pro" team
> with no money than an amateur team. I will see you at the races, and I will try and get over my
> bitterness.

Ahhh...... the friendly, smiling face of anonymity.

"Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:1RYX9.12492$6G4.4543@sccrnsc02...

> "Rik Van Diesel" <.google.com...
> > "John Lieswyn" <jlieswyn$_s4.112@rwcrnsc54>...
> > > Listen RVD (and damn if I'm still procrastinating- it's gonna be 7
> before
> > > I'm done with the ride tonight)- let's just welcome everyone to the
> sport.
> > > It doesn't matter if their license says pro or amateur. The fact is
> most
> > > Cat1's that want to be pro just want it so they can get into the five coolest races in the
> > > USA. And there is nothing wrong with that. As
far
> as
> > > pro team riders not getting a salary, that is too bad. It is the
> economics
> > > of bike racing. I wish it were different. Now lets SUAR, with a
smile.

> > Johnny L,
> >
> > Guys would like to go to the TDF, but it doesn't make sense if you can't finish a NRC race.
> > Every time I turn around another kid is going to some D3 team because they are under 27, not
> > because they are lighting the world on fire. This effects your cash earning potential because
> > "ghost" riders (they usually get something of cash value from the team eg. bike) take away from
> > your salary dollars, and take talent from amateur teams just because of the allure of being
> > called "PRO". Then they don't get to develop because they don't get picked for the races (lack
> > of talent), or they are some broke ass D3 team who runs out of cash at Seaotter (lack of cash),
> > and only does a local programs ( Definition of an amateur team).. Side note pro teams run out of
> > cash at Corestates... These things bug me. It makes it harder to run an amateur program because
> > there is marketing value in being "PRO" even if you don't have the cash to do a great program,
> > and it slows the development of these riders. Basically I hate the age limit on the D3 teams,
> > that there is no minimum salary for riders, and that most of these guys would rather race for a
> > "pro" team with no money than an amateur team. I will see you at the races, and I will try and
> > get over my bitterness.
>
> Ahhh...... the friendly, smiling face of anonymity.

What the **** does it matter, jackass? RVD is having a completely intelligent conversation with John
L. irregardless of his anonymity.

Thanks, Ronde Champ
Mr. Anonymous

"ronde champ" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Ken Papai" <ken.4543@sccrnsc02...
> >
> > "Rik Van Diesel" <.google.com...
> > > "John Lieswyn" <jlieswyn$_s4.112@rwcrnsc54>...
> > before
> > sport.
> > most
> far
> > as
> > economics
> smile.
> > >
> > > Johnny L,
> > >
> > > Guys would like to go to the TDF, but it doesn't make sense if you can't finish a NRC race.
> > > Every time I turn around another kid is going to some D3 team because they are under 27, not
> > > because they are lighting the world on fire. This effects your cash earning potential because
> > > "ghost" riders (they usually get something of cash value from the team eg. bike) take away
> > > from your salary dollars, and take talent from amateur teams just because of the allure of
> > > being called "PRO". Then they don't get to develop because they don't get picked for the races
> > > (lack of talent), or they are some broke ass D3 team who runs out of cash at Seaotter (lack of
> > > cash), and only does a local programs ( Definition of an amateur team).. Side note pro teams
> > > run out of cash at Corestates... These things bug me. It makes it harder to run an amateur
> > > program because there is marketing value in being "PRO" even if you don't have the cash to do
> > > a great program, and it slows the development of these riders. Basically I hate the age limit
> > > on the D3 teams, that there is no minimum salary for riders, and that most of these guys would
> > > rather race for a "pro" team with no money than an amateur team. I will see you at the races,
> > > and I will try and get over my bitterness.
> >
> > Ahhh...... the friendly, smiling face of anonymity.
>
> What the **** does it matter, jackass? RVD is having a completely intelligent conversation with
> John L. irregardless of his anonymity.
>
> Thanks, Ronde Champ
> Mr. Anonymous

Robbie... I just call a spade a spade.

Sorry you're all upset!

-KJP

ronde champ wrote:

> RVD is having a completely intelligent conversation...

For you maybe.

> Guys would like to go to the TDF, but it doesn't make sense if you can't finish a NRC race. Every
> time I turn around another kid is going to some D3 team because they are under 27, not because
> they are lighting the world on fire. This effects your cash earning potential because "ghost"
> riders (they usually get something of cash value from the team eg. bike) take away from your
> salary dollars, and take talent from amateur teams just because of the allure of being called
> "PRO". Then they don't get to develop because they don't get picked for the races (lack of
> talent), or they are some broke ass D3 team who runs out of cash at Seaotter (lack of cash), and
> only does a local programs ( Definition of an amateur team)…. Side note pro teams run out of
> cash at Corestates….. These things bug me. It makes it harder to run an amateur program
> because there is marketing value in being "PRO" even if you don't have the cash to do a great
> program, and it slows the development of these riders. Basically I hate the age limit on the D3
> teams, that there is no minimum salary for riders, and that most of these guys would rather race
> for a "pro" team with no money than an amateur team. I will see you at the races, and I will try
> and get over my bitterness.

I spent the last couple years on D3 teams (NetZero and Schroeder Iron) and while I see your point, I
would have to say it was an awesome experience and I got to learn from some great bike racers that
taught me things you'd never learn on an amateur team. Two Cents, Ryan Barrett

> RVD

"Ryan Barrett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I spent the last couple years on D3 teams (NetZero and Schroeder Iron) and while I see your point,
> I would have to say it was an awesome experience and I got to learn from some great bike racers
> that taught me things you'd never learn on an amateur team. Two Cents, Ryan Barrett

The difference is that you're not a tool like some of the new guys coming out this year.

I must say though that the first time I saw your form it looked like you were riding a
stairmaster/rowing machine/mideval torture device.

At least you've got some wattage.

news:<[email protected]>...

> The difference is that you're not a tool like some of the new guys coming out this year.
>
> I must say though that the first time I saw your form it looked like you were riding a
> stairmaster/rowing machine/mideval torture device.
>
> At least you've got some wattage.

Well, I am kind of a tool and the wattage ain't all that great, but thanks for commenting on
my form. It's not the first time someone has mentioned it, but it may be the best description
I've heard.