Profile design carbon stryke aerobars problem

Hi All,

I managed to recently win a set of profile design carbon stryke
aerobars on e-bay. When they arrived, I discovered I had not read the
auction's not-so-small print, which stated that they only fit
oversized bars, since some sort of shim, bracket, or adapter was
missing.

My LBS says that this part is not available as a separate item, and
I've had no responses to e-mails sent to profile designs. So the
obvious question is: does anyone know whether it is possible to find
such an adapter, and if so, where (preferably in the UK). Is it
possible to hack something together? Or should I just auction them
back on e-bay?

Thanks a lot,
Nir

> Hi All,
>
> I managed to recently win a set of profile design carbon stryke
> aerobars on e-bay. When they arrived, I discovered I had not read the
> auction's not-so-small print, which stated that they only fit
> oversized bars, since some sort of shim, bracket, or adapter was
> missing.
>
> My LBS says that this part is not available as a separate item, and
> I've had no responses to e-mails sent to profile designs. So the
> obvious question is: does anyone know whether it is possible to find
> such an adapter, and if so, where (preferably in the UK). Is it
> possible to hack something together? Or should I just auction them
> back on e-bay?
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Nir

Looking at the documentation, it would appear thtat a 26mm ID31.8 mm OD
split shim is required.

Fairly easy to make up from aluminium if you know anyone with access to a
lathe. I do, let me know of I can be of further help.

MJP

"MJP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>> Hi All,
>>
>> I managed to recently win a set of profile design carbon stryke
>> aerobars on e-bay. When they arrived, I discovered I had not read the
>> auction's not-so-small print, which stated that they only fit
>> oversized bars, since some sort of shim, bracket, or adapter was
>> missing.
>>
>> My LBS says that this part is not available as a separate item, and
>> I've had no responses to e-mails sent to profile designs. So the
>> obvious question is: does anyone know whether it is possible to find
>> such an adapter, and if so, where (preferably in the UK). Is it
>> possible to hack something together? Or should I just auction them
>> back on e-bay?
>>
>> Thanks a lot,
>> Nir

> Looking at the documentation, it would appear thtat a 26mm ID31.8 mm OD
> split shim is required.
>
> Fairly easy to make up from aluminium if you know anyone with access to a
> lathe. I do, let me know of I can be of further help.
>
> MJP

Well you can definately get 25.4mm to 31.8mm adapters from mountain bike
forks/stems/bars, I've got one left over from my 888's that I dont need (I
run 31.8mm bars)

Maybe there is something that will fit from there?

Cheers Dre

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I managed to recently win a set of profile design carbon stryke
> aerobars on e-bay. When they arrived, I discovered I had not read the
> auction's not-so-small print, which stated that they only fit
> oversized bars, since some sort of shim, bracket, or adapter was
> missing.
>
> My LBS says that this part is not available as a separate item, and
> I've had no responses to e-mails sent to profile designs. So the
> obvious question is: does anyone know whether it is possible to find
> such an adapter, and if so, where (preferably in the UK). Is it
> possible to hack something together? Or should I just auction them
> back on e-bay?
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Nir

Well, they aren't in the UK, but they will ship there:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kore-Handlebar-...ZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

Kore Handlebar Shim Adapter 26.0 to 31.8
eBay Item number: 300204006143

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I managed to recently win a set of profile design carbon stryke
> aerobars on e-bay. When they arrived, I discovered I had not read the
> auction's not-so-small print, which stated that they only fit
> oversized bars, since some sort of shim, bracket, or adapter was
> missing.
>
> My LBS says that this part is not available as a separate item, and
> I've had no responses to e-mails sent to profile designs. So the
> obvious question is: does anyone know whether it is possible to find
> such an adapter, and if so, where (preferably in the UK). Is it
> possible to hack something together? Or should I just auction them
> back on e-bay?
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Nir

I had a similar issue when I mounted aerobars. I cut a strip from a roll
of aluminum flashing and wrapped it around the bars to shim it to the
right diameter. You can get the flashing at any good hardware store. You
can cut it with scissors.

"Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> [email protected] wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I managed to recently win a set of profile design carbon stryke
>> aerobars on e-bay. When they arrived, I discovered I had not read the
>> auction's not-so-small print, which stated that they only fit
>> oversized bars, since some sort of shim, bracket, or adapter was
>> missing.
>>
>> My LBS says that this part is not available as a separate item, and
>> I've had no responses to e-mails sent to profile designs. So the
>> obvious question is: does anyone know whether it is possible to find
>> such an adapter, and if so, where (preferably in the UK). Is it
>> possible to hack something together? Or should I just auction them
>> back on e-bay?
>>
>> Thanks a lot,
>> Nir

> I had a similar issue when I mounted aerobars. I cut a strip from a roll
> of aluminum flashing and wrapped it around the bars to shim it to the
> right diameter. You can get the flashing at any good hardware store. You
> can cut it with scissors.

Or, go and get a very old book called Zen and the Art of Motorcycle
maintenance...........and an aluminium can........
Hugh

Many thanks to all those that responded; I contacted profile designs,
and have ordered
the part directly from them.

Nir