Profile Design "swift shift" and shift adapter

David Kerber

Guest
I posted this in r.b.misc and never got a response, so I'm trying in .tech:

Has anybody tried the Profile Design "Swift Shift" and/or their shift adapter product with their
aerobars? If so, how well does it work? Does the adapter work reasonably well (it's intended to
allow you to use both a downtube shifter on the aerobar and your integrated shifter on the
regular bars)?

Also, how much does the adapter cost? My LBS doesn't carry them and I can't find it online either. I
did find the Swift Shift for $40.

David Kerber wrote:

> I posted this in r.b.misc and never got a response, so I'm trying in .tech:
>
> Has anybody tried the Profile Design "Swift Shift" and/or their shift adapter product with their
> aerobars? If so, how well does it work? Does the adapter work reasonably well (it's intended to
> allow you to use both a downtube shifter on the aerobar and your integrated shifter on the
> regular bars)?
>
> Also, how much does the adapter cost? My LBS doesn't carry them and I can't find it online either.
> I did find the Swift Shift for $40.

I've installed a lot of them. They are quite simple and accept any Campagnolo-standard square
boss shifter with 5mm screw( even Shimano changed to that fromat from their whacky teardrop boss
and 4.5mm screw). SwiftShift takes anything from a classic friction lever set to Campagnolo
BarCon controls.

It can _replace_ your Ergo/Sti levers but cannot ( I was going to say "obviously" but maybe it
isn't) be used in conjunction _with_ another shifter. It takes ten or twenty minutes to pull the
cables from your shifters and install the other system.

Should be $40 at any place which services triathlon bikes.

> David Kerber wrote:
>
> > I posted this in r.b.misc and never got a response, so I'm trying in .tech:
> >
> > Has anybody tried the Profile Design "Swift Shift" and/or their shift adapter product with their
> > aerobars? If so, how well does it work? Does the adapter work reasonably well (it's intended to
> > allow you to use both a downtube shifter on the aerobar and your integrated shifter on the
> > regular bars)?
> >
> > Also, how much does the adapter cost? My LBS doesn't carry them and I can't find it online
> > either. I did find the Swift Shift for $40.
> >
> I've installed a lot of them. They are quite simple and accept any Campagnolo-standard square boss
> shifter with 5mm screw( even Shimano changed to that fromat from their whacky teardrop boss and
> 4.5mm screw). SwiftShift takes anything from a classic friction lever set to Campagnolo BarCon
> controls.
>
> It can _replace_ your Ergo/Sti levers but cannot ( I was going to say "obviously" but maybe it
> isn't) be used in conjunction _with_ another shifter. It takes ten or twenty minutes to pull the
> cables from your shifters and install the other system.
>
> Should be $40 at any place which services triathlon bikes.

Thanks for the info. What little I could find on the adapter (not the "swift shift" seemed to
indicate that it is supposed to let you use both a swift-shift-mounted shifter, and the regular
STI's, but I couldn't be absolutely certain from the description.

In article <[email protected]>, ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net says...
> I posted this in r.b.misc and never got a response, so I'm trying in .tech:
>
> Has anybody tried the Profile Design "Swift Shift" and/or their shift adapter product with their
> aerobars? If so, how well does it work? Does the adapter work reasonably well (it's intended to
> allow you to use both a downtube shifter on the aerobar and your integrated shifter on the
> regular bars)?
>
> Also, how much does the adapter cost? My LBS doesn't carry them and I can't find it online either.
> I did find the Swift Shift for $40.

I'm not getting much response here; nobody has any experience with the STI shift adapter?

> In article <[email protected]>, ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net says...
>>Has anybody tried the Profile Design "Swift Shift" and/or their shift adapter product with their
>>aerobars? If so, how well does it work? Does the adapter work reasonably well (it's intended to
>>allow you to use both a downtube shifter on the aerobar and your integrated shifter on the regular
>>bars)? Also, how much does the adapter cost? My LBS doesn't carry them and I can't find it online
>>either. I did find the Swift Shift for $40.

It's regularly priced at $40 at shops (like us) who do triathlon setups. Been around a while, it's
neither rare nor exotic. A phone call away for any LBS who cares enough to close a $40 sale instead
of whining.

Swift Shift is simply a downtube lever mount which fits at the end of a Profile aerobar. Any
standard square-mount DT shifter fits fine with no tools or special knowledge required.

I'm not sure if you implied this or if I inferred it, but you cannot pass the cable through another
lever as with those new top levers for brakes. If you want to use both shifters alternately, you're
in for a cable change each time.

> > In article <[email protected]>, ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net says...
> >>Has anybody tried the Profile Design "Swift Shift" and/or their shift adapter product with their
> >>aerobars? If so, how well does it work? Does the adapter work reasonably well (it's intended to
> >>allow you to use both a downtube shifter on the aerobar and your integrated shifter on the
> >>regular bars)? Also, how much does the adapter cost? My LBS doesn't carry them and I can't find
> >>it online either. I did find the Swift Shift for $40.
>
> It's regularly priced at $40 at shops (like us) who do triathlon setups. Been around a while, it's
> neither rare nor exotic. A phone call away for any LBS who cares enough to close a $40 sale
> instead of whining.
>
> Swift Shift is simply a downtube lever mount which fits at the end of a Profile aerobar. Any
> standard square-mount DT shifter fits fine with no tools or special knowledge required.
>
> I'm not sure if you implied this or if I inferred it, but you cannot pass the cable through
> another lever as with those new top levers for brakes. If you want to use both shifters
> alternately, you're in for a cable change each time.

Thanks for the response.

He doesn't carry them, but has installed the Swift Shift before. He didn't know anything about the
STI adapter, which according to the catalog is supposed to allow you to use *both* the regular STI
levers and the bar-mounted shifter.

I was wondering if anybody had tried it and if it worked. Looking at a picture I found on the
internet of it with the top removed, it looks like you set one of the shifters to its most relaxed
position when you want to use the other one, and both cables connect to a block which then pulls on
the cable which goes to the ders.

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 19:24:28 -0500, David Kerber <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote:

>I was wondering if anybody had tried it and if it worked. Looking at a picture I found on the
>internet of it with the top removed, it looks like you set one of the shifters to its most relaxed
>position when you want to use the other one, and both cables connect to a block which then pulls on
>the cable which goes to the ders.

Yeah, that should work. You'd need the block to move along a set of rails to keep it straight rather
thasn pulling to one side or the other depending on which shifter is being used, I'd imagine. A set
of rails suitable for this could probably be easily salvaged from an old cdrom drive.

Jasper