Proform TDF Power Meter

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by jwroubaix, Feb 24, 2012.

1. jwroubaix

jwroubaix New Member

I have a fairly new Proform TDF gen II bike. So far so good, I quite like it. One question I have though is I don't think the power meter is accurate. This is my first power meter but it says i'm usually around 400 watts, If i push it I get up to the 600's. Admittedly I'm a very weak rider. This isn't accurate is it? Can I still use it as an effective tool? The calorie meter seems way off as well. 45 minutes on the bike and it said I burned over 1000 calories.

Tags:

2. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Yours is much more generous than mine. I average about 230-240 watts average in an hour and about 800-900 calories an hour which I consider right on since this is what I burn on the road
    I am usually turning thr pedals pretty hard to get this.

3. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

According to Analytic Cycling, 400 W of power output on level ground will propel you at about 29 mph. What speed does the unit show? jhuskey ought to be showing a speed on the order of 24.5mph for his average power of 235W.

4. jwroubaix

jwroubaix New Member

Mine is reading around 18 mph, but my ride was mostly uphill. I averaged 450 watts which doesn't seem right.

5. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

You are ready for the TDF if you can average 450 watts. I averaged 225 on my last session.If I could do 450 I could rule the world.

6. jwroubaix

jwroubaix New Member

My point exactly, the thing isn't accurate. One thing I don't quite understand is. I mapped out my normal ride which usually takes an hour. I do it in half the time on the TDF. Have you found the same thing?

7. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Not at all. Mine is very close on average. I do the Newfound Gap route across the Smokies on a regular basis and my time is comparable. Have you done the firmware updates. Not saying that will fix it but it something they recommend.

8. gazaloo

gazaloo New Member

I've got exactly the same problem (had it just 2 weeks). Running the latest firmware. Average output in the 400-500 watt range (650+ when cranking) and my outside rides are done in half the time.

I contacted support and to cut a long story short they refused to send out a service tech because there's "nothing to fix" so it is going back. To their credit they are telling me I will get a full refund.

My model number is PFEX013120 -- there are also models 1, 2 and 3. Just curious if you know what the last digit on your model is? Long shot guess, but perhaps the 0's are no good and the others are better? I would love one that worked as advertised.

9. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

My best effort so far is 261 watts and that was pounding on it pretty hard.

10. gazaloo

gazaloo New Member

That sounds much more realistic.

Do you know what your full model number is?

11. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

I am not at home now and not sure I have it at work . I will probably need to lift it up and get it off the bottom of the bike. If I remember that is where it is located.

I bought it new in November 2011.