Progress, part 2

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Keith Willoughb, Mar 7, 2004.

  1. As my regular readers will remember (*cough*), a couple of
    weekends ago, I beat my personal best distance with a ride
    of 17 miles. Well, this morning I went on a ride to
    Abercynon (6 miles there, 6 back). Got to Abercynon, felt
    good, decided to carry on to Merthyr Tydfil (another 10
    miles or so) and get the train back down the valley.

    So, I got to Merthyr at 09:55 (the last mile killed me for
    some reason), went in to Tesco, had a bacon and egg roll and
    a cup of coffee, came out and went to the station. First
    train down the valley is at 15:25.

    Now, people who have been to Merthyr will realise how crappy
    I was feeling when I say that I seriously considered
    spending 5 hours in Merthyr on a Sunday. However, 20 minutes
    slumped on a seat outside the station had me feeling much
    better. So I cycled back. It was much easier dropping down
    500 feet that climbing it, so there was plenty of
    freewheeling, but I was still pretty tired when I got back -
    but I made
    it. 33 miles. Yay me. :)

    Things I have learned :-

    The bike clothing I previously thought was for posers turns
    out to be presumably a damned good idea. I could have really
    done with sunglasses coming back south. And, I found I
    couldn't remove either of my top layers when the sun cam
    out, because my cotton t-shirt was sodden with sweat and I
    froze everytime I removed a layer.

    Despite this, of all the people I said 'good morning' to as
    I passed, the only ones not to reciprocate were the ones
    wearing lurid cycling jerseys and trendy shades, who looked
    at me as if I were a nutter. (Two separate groups.
    Presumably they weren't impressed with the jogging bottoms
    and the cheap MTB)

    I really want clipless pedals.

    I really want non-knobbly tyres. The road noise was
    driving me mad, and I could feel them holding me back on
    down-slopes.

    Laces should be tucked into shoes.

    The Taff Trail from Ponty to Merthyr is pretty damned nice,
    except for the stretch between Abercynon and Pontygwaith,
    which doesn't deserve the description 'bike path'. I know
    the real MTBers would laugh, but bouncing from stone to
    stone with a drop of 30 feet into a river immedately to my
    left isn't my idea of fun. I got off and walked. Next time,
    I take the road for that stretch.

    Even fat dudes like me can cycle 33 miles.

    --
    Keith Willoughby http://flat222.org/keith/ Fair and Balanced
    - http://blugg.com/stuff/foxs_view_of_the_bbc_player.htm

    Tags:

  2. >Well, this morning I went on a ride to Abercynon (6 miles
    >there, 6 back). Got to Abercynon, felt good, decided to
    >carry on to Merthyr Tydfil (another 10 miles or so) and get
    >the train back down the valley.

    Excellent :)

    >The bike clothing I previously thought was for posers turns
    >out to be presumably a damned good idea.

    The Madness of the Lycra takes hold :) You do realise
    that by this time next year you will be a fully accredited
    Lycra Lout :-D

    >I really want clipless pedals.

    I rest my case :)

    >I really want non-knobbly tyres.

    And again ;-)

    >Even fat dudes like me can cycle 33 miles.

    And it's enjoyable, isn't it!

    Cheers, helen s

    --This is an invalid email address to avoid spam-- to get
    correct one remove dependency on fame & fortune h*$el*$$e**-
    nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**[email protected]$*$a$$o**l.c**$*$om$$

  3. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Keith Willoughby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > As my regular readers will remember (*cough*), a couple of
    > weekends ago, I beat my personal best distance with a ride
    > of 17 miles. Well, this morning I went on a ride to
    > Abercynon (6 miles there, 6 back). Got to Abercynon, felt
    > good, decided to carry on to Merthyr Tydfil (another 10
    > miles or so) and get the train back down the valley.
    >
    > So, I got to Merthyr at 09:55 (the last mile killed me for
    > some reason), went in to Tesco, had a bacon and egg roll
    > and a cup of coffee, came out and went to the station.
    > First train down the valley is at 15:25.
    >
    > Now, people who have been to Merthyr will realise how
    > crappy I was feeling when I say that I seriously
    > considered spending 5 hours in Merthyr on a Sunday.
    > However, 20 minutes slumped on a seat outside the station
    > had me feeling much better. So I cycled back. It was much
    > easier dropping down 500 feet that climbing it, so there
    > was plenty of freewheeling, but I was still pretty tired
    > when I got back - but I made
    > it. 33 miles. Yay me. :)
    >
    > Things I have learned :-
    >
    > The bike clothing I previously thought was for posers
    > turns out to be presumably a damned good idea. I could
    > have really done with sunglasses coming back south. And, I
    > found I couldn't remove either of my top layers when the
    > sun cam out, because my cotton t-shirt was sodden with
    > sweat and I froze everytime I removed a layer.
    >
    > Despite this, of all the people I said 'good morning' to
    > as I passed, the only ones not to reciprocate were the
    > ones wearing lurid cycling jerseys and trendy shades, who
    > looked at me as if I were a nutter. (Two separate groups.
    > Presumably they weren't impressed with the jogging bottoms
    > and the cheap MTB)
    >
    > I really want clipless pedals.
    >
    > I really want non-knobbly tyres. The road noise was
    > driving me mad, and I could feel them holding me back on
    > down-slopes.
    >
    > Laces should be tucked into shoes.
    >
    > The Taff Trail from Ponty to Merthyr is pretty damned
    > nice, except for the stretch between Abercynon and
    > Pontygwaith, which doesn't deserve the description 'bike
    > path'. I know the real MTBers would laugh, but bouncing
    > from stone to stone with a drop of 30 feet into a river
    > immedately to my left isn't my idea of fun. I got off and
    > walked. Next time, I take the road for that stretch.
    >
    > Even fat dudes like me can cycle 33 miles.

    Well done Keith. I too started off with jogging bottoms,
    knobbly tyres, cheap MTB and plastic pedals, but had a lot
    of fun along the way. Gradually got padded shorts and
    tights, hybrid (and now road bike), proper Goretex tops and
    jacket etc and things are much better, but I look back on
    the early rides I did with great pride, like you. See:
    http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/page17.html

    I used to go for two weeks holiday to Merthyr in the late
    1970s as my pal from work hailed from there. Very friendly
    people and had a great time in Aberdare getting drunk. The
    train journey from Hull was appalling though, 11 hours it
    took and I once had to change at these stations. Hull -
    Doncaster - Sheffield - Derby - Birmingham - Bristol - Cardiff-
    Pontypridd - Merthyr. Yikes!

    --
    Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W

  4. <dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers> wrote:

    >>Even fat dudes like me can cycle 33 miles.
    >
    > And it's enjoyable, isn't it!

    It sure is.

    The feeling has almost returned to my hands now, too . . .

    --
    Keith Willoughby http://flat222.org/keith/ "I was an angry
    young man in need of an icon and Leonid Brezhnev fell short

  5. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Keith Willoughby wrote:
    > I was still pretty tired when I got back - but I made it.
    > 33 miles. Yay me. :)

    Good for you. You may find an energy drink helpful for
    future rides. I used to use Isostar all the time, now I
    prefer SiS Go, but I usually use TeknoFuel because it's
    (relatively) cheap: url:http://www.teknofuel.co.uk/

    Other people will have different preferences, of course, and
    it's worth trying a few to find what works for you.

    > And, I found I couldn't remove either of my top layers
    > when the sun cam out, because my cotton t-shirt was sodden
    > with sweat and I froze everytime I removed a layer.

    May I be the first to recommend Parrot, both for quality and
    VFM?: url:http://www.parrot-online.com/

    I can particularly recommend the Baseline zip neck base
    layer (a zip is a good thing to have) and the Zati-Lite
    Gilet. Check the bike mags in your local newsagent for
    Parrot ads before you order. There's usually an offer where
    you can buy one item and get another free, which will be
    worth knowing about.

    > I really want clipless pedals.

    Yes, you really do :)

    > I really want non-knobbly tyres.

    Ditto.

    > Laces should be tucked into shoes.

    If you get clipless pedals then you'll also need cycling
    shoes. If they have laces then they'll probably also have a
    velcro strap that goes over the laces.

    BTW, this is what can happen when laces aren't tucked into
    shoes while riding a unicycle: url:http://www.speedy5.frees-
    erve.co.uk/danny/unicycling/gallery/mwblood. jpg

    > Even fat dudes like me can cycle 33 miles.

    It's good to know you can do it, isn't it? (Not that I've
    ever been a fat dude, but I was pleasantly surprised when I
    did a 40 mile ride a week after buying my first adult bike).

    http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/
    Why I like OE6 - http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/misc/oe6.html

  6. Steph Peters

    Steph Peters Guest

    Keith Willoughby <[email protected]> of Society of Recidivists wrote:

    ><dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers> wrote:
    >
    >>>Even fat dudes like me can cycle 33 miles.
    >>
    >> And it's enjoyable, isn't it!
    >
    >It sure is.
    >
    >The feeling has almost returned to my hands now, too . . .
    Add padded gloves to the list of things you need.

    Another fat dude on a bike

    --
    The standard of intellect in politics is so low, men of moderate mental capacity
    have to stoop to reach it. - Hillaire Belloc

  7. <Steph Peters> wrote:
    > Keith Willoughby <[email protected]> of Society of
    > Recidivists wrote:

    >>> And it's enjoyable, isn't it!
    >>
    >>It sure is.
    >>
    >>The feeling has almost returned to my hands now, too . . .
    > Add padded gloves to the list of things you need.

    Already on order!

    > Another fat dude on a bike

    Solidarity, brother.

    --
    Keith Willoughby http://flat222.org/keith/ "Taffy was a
    Welshman, Taffy was a thief"

  8. <Danny Colyer> wrote:
    > Keith Willoughby wrote:
    >> Laces should be tucked into shoes.
    >
    > If you get clipless pedals then you'll also need cycling
    > shoes. If they have laces then they'll probably also have
    > a velcro strap that goes over the laces.
    >
    > BTW, this is what can happen when laces aren't tucked into
    > shoes while riding a unicycle: url:http://www.speedy5.fre-
    > eserve.co.uk/danny/unicycling/gallery/mwblood. jpg

    I knew I wasn't going to like that when I saw the name of
    the picture.

    Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

    --
    Keith Willoughby http://flat222.org/keith/ Freedom is
    slavery

  9. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Steph Peters <[email protected]> wrote:

    :>The feeling has almost returned to my hands now, too . . .
    : Add padded gloves to the list of things you need.

    Maybe. Padded gloves are a good thing, but shouldn't be
    used to disguse problems with position. I'd suggest
    raising the bars.

    --
    Arthur Clune

  10. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Keith Willoughby
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > <dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers> wrote:
    >
    >>>Even fat dudes like me can cycle 33 miles.
    >>
    >> And it's enjoyable, isn't it!
    >
    > It sure is.
    >
    > The feeling has almost returned to my hands now, too . . .

    Flat or riser barred MTB? Not nice for more than ten miles.
    You really need to be able to change hand positions, in
    order to rest the bits you were putting pressure on. Fit
    'bar ends'; my preferred ones are 'Cane Creek Ergo Control'
    <URL:http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=5220000162>

    The other issue is road vibration affecting the nerves in
    the palm of your hand (numb or pins-and-needly feeling). The
    solution to this is better gloves (gell filled palms,
    leather) and more shock absorbent grips - but frankly if
    you're riding any sort of mountain bike the front suspension
    ought to be dealing with this problem for you.

    --
    [email protected] (Simon Brooke)
    http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/ /-\ You have discovered a
    | | * Be completely ignored (default)?
    | | * Receive a form email full of platitudes about how
    | | much we care?
    \_/ * Spend hours helping us fix this problem for free?

  11. <Simon Brooke> wrote:
    > in message <[email protected]>, Keith
    > Willoughby ('[email protected]') wrote:

    >>> And it's enjoyable, isn't it!
    >>
    >> It sure is.
    >>
    >> The feeling has almost returned to my hands now,
    >> too . . .
    >
    > Flat or riser barred MTB? Not nice for more than ten
    > miles.

    Aye.

    > You really need to be able to change hand positions, in
    > order to rest the bits you were putting pressure on. Fit
    > 'bar ends'; my preferred ones are 'Cane Creek Ergo
    > Control'
    > <URL:http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=5220000162>

    I've been trying to avoid buying stuff for it in case I cave
    in and buy a more suitable bike. I almost put a bid in for a
    Dawes Horizon on ebay yesterday.

    > The other issue is road vibration affecting the nerves in
    > the palm of your hand (numb or pins-and-needly feeling).
    > The solution to this is better gloves (gell filled palms,
    > leather)

    I've ordered some gel-filled gloves, at least.

    > and more shock absorbent grips - but frankly if you're
    > riding any sort of mountain bike the front suspension
    > ought to be dealing with this problem for you.

    Which it did, mostly, except for the few hundred metres I
    rode on a horribly stony, rutted path before giving up and
    walking. Trouble is, as I've mentioned - I'm way overweight.
    I'd guess I'm putting a huge amount more strain on my hands
    and wrists than anyone else here. I did raise the bars
    before this trip, which helped, so I may try raising them
    again. But, when I come down to it, I'd be better off just
    losing some of the deadweight and increasing the strength of
    my stomach muscles.

    I really should take up some for of excersise. :)

    --
    Keith Willoughby http://flat222.org/keith/ It's the only
    language they understand

  12. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    Keith Willoughby <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > However, 20 minutes slumped on a seat outside the station
    > had me feeling much better. So I cycled back. It was much
    > easier dropping down 500 feet that climbing it, so there
    > was plenty of freewheeling, but I was still pretty tired
    > when I got back - but I made
    > it. 33 miles. Yay me. :)

    Glad you made it all the way back. This kind of ride is
    great for expanding your horizons. Now you know that 33
    miles is well within your abilities you can start planning a
    50, a 60... :)

    > The bike clothing I previously thought was for posers
    > turns out to be presumably a damned good idea. I could
    > have really done with sunglasses coming back south.

    Glasses are a good idea. You don't have to shell out on the
    high fashion ones either. I like Madisons with
    interchangeable lenses.

    > And, I found I couldn't remove either of my top layers
    > when the sun cam out, because my cotton t-shirt was sodden
    > with sweat and I froze everytime I removed a layer.

    Cotton is rotten. A good wicking base layer is what you
    need.

    > Despite this, of all the people I said 'good morning' to
    > as I passed, the only ones not to reciprocate were the
    > ones wearing lurid cycling jerseys and trendy shades, who
    > looked at me as if I were a nutter. (Two separate groups.
    > Presumably they weren't impressed with the jogging bottoms
    > and the cheap MTB)

    There really do seem to be two groups. I've noticed before
    that people complain about the miserable roadies, but as a
    roadie myself I've always noticed how miserable the MTB
    people seem to be. Other roadies always return my wave, but
    MTB-ers very seldom.

    > Even fat dudes like me can cycle 33 miles.

    Fat dudes like you can cycle considerably greater distances
    than that with a bit of practice. Keep it up!

    --
    Dave...

  13. Arthur Clune wrote:
    > Padded gloves are a good thing, but shouldn't be used
    > to disguse problems with position. I'd suggest raising
    > the bars.

    I discovered the truth of this by accident - having cleaned
    my headset I replaced the bars without thinking too much
    about the height. But when I next went out for a ride I
    noticed that the bars felt higher than previously. Rather
    than change them out on the road I thought I'd leave it
    until I got home, but by that time I was enjoying the fact
    that I felt significantly more comfortable with the bars in
    their new position so left them as they were - it wasn't
    much higher at all, but I certainly felt the difference.

    And I'm another cyclist who doesn't mind admitting to being,
    ahem, somewhat above fighting weight...

    d.

  14. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    "david kenning" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > And I'm another cyclist who doesn't mind admitting to
    > being, ahem, somewhat above fighting weight...

    Sod fighting, if you're big enough - sit on them! :)

    Graeme

  15. Kingsley

    Kingsley Guest

    On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 17:29:52 +0000, Danny Colyer wrote:

    > Good for you. You may find an energy drink helpful for
    > future rides. I used to use Isostar all the time, now I
    > prefer SiS Go, but I usually use TeknoFuel because it's
    > (relatively) cheap: url:http://www.teknofuel.co.uk/
    >
    > Other people will have different preferences, of course,
    > and it's worth trying a few to find what works for you.

    Chocolate Custard.

    If you can't get custard, chocolate milk will have to do.

    -kt

  16. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest