Progress Report - Unfit person decides to commute 6 miles to work!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Lee, Jul 29, 2003.

  1. Lee

    Lee Guest

    Hi again!

    Did a bit more of an extensive ride last night (prolly 1.5-2 miles) and found it relatively easy
    when compared to Sundays disaster. I did 2 things different:

    1. Didnt have a hangover
    2. took it a bit easier

    I managed to get up the 1st hill without too many problems (wasnt easy but made it without
    stopping)!! Tonight I plan to do a bit of the commute ride and see how i get on!

    Wish me luck!

    Tags:

  2. Lee wrote:

    > Hi again!
    >
    > Did a bit more of an extensive ride last night (prolly 1.5-2 miles) and found it relatively easy
    > when compared to Sundays disaster. I did 2 things different:
    >
    > 1. Didnt have a hangover
    > 2. took it a bit easier
    >
    > I managed to get up the 1st hill without too many problems (wasnt easy but made it without
    > stopping)!! Tonight I plan to do a bit of the commute ride and see how i get on!
    >
    > Wish me luck!

    Well Done. I would strongly advise getting a bike computer, then you can accurately track your
    progress - very motivational. At first you'll be looking at how far you managed to go, then 'Max
    Speed' will become a challenge, and finally you'll be raving to all and sundry about your
    average speed :)

    Phil.

  3. Lee

    Lee Guest

    "Phil.Winterbourne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Well Done. I would strongly advise getting a bike computer, then you can accurately track your
    > progress - very motivational. At first you'll be looking at how far you managed to go, then 'Max
    > Speed' will become a challenge, and finally you'll be raving to all and sundry about your average
    > speed :)
    >
    > Phil.

    Well, i have bid on ebay for such a device - hope i get it - if not its out to a proper shop i go!

    Im beginning to get into this cycling malarky ;-)

  4. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Lee <$*$*$*remove*$*$*[email protected]> wrote:

    : Well, i have bid on ebay for such a device - hope i get it - if not its out to a proper shop i go!

    Keep in mind that you can buy them new from your LBS for 10 quid+. So it'd have to be very cheap on
    Ebay (esp since it might be an older model)

    Arthur

  5. Lee

    Lee Guest

    "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Lee <$*$*$*remove*$*$*[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > : Well, i have bid on ebay for such a device - hope i get it - if not its
    out
    > : to a proper shop i go!
    >
    > Keep in mind that you can buy them new from your LBS for 10 quid+. So it'd have to be very cheap
    > on Ebay (esp since it might be an older model)
    >
    > Arthur

    It seemed ok - bit £12-13 i think- we shall see!

  6. Tenex

    Tenex Guest

    Lee wrote:
    > "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> Lee <$*$*$*remove*$*$*[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Well, i have bid on ebay for such a device - hope i get it - if not its out to a proper
    >>> shop i go!
    >>
    >> Keep in mind that you can buy them new from your LBS for 10 quid+. So it'd have to be very cheap
    >> on Ebay (esp since it might be an older model)
    >>
    >> Arthur
    >>

    > It seemed ok - bit £12-13 i think- we shall see!

    At that price you can get them from most places - Aldi posted here recently for £3.99 and probably
    still in your local one.

  7. The Oracle

    The Oracle Guest

    Are they cordless devices these trip computers? Or are they them old magnetic things on the spokes
    that pulses the sensor on the forks every revolution?

    "Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi again!
    >
    > Did a bit more of an extensive ride last night (prolly 1.5-2 miles) and found it relatively easy
    > when compared to Sundays disaster. I did 2 things different:
    >
    > 1. Didnt have a hangover
    > 2. took it a bit easier
    >
    > I managed to get up the 1st hill without too many problems (wasnt easy but made it without
    > stopping)!! Tonight I plan to do a bit of the commute
    ride
    > and see how i get on!
    >
    > Wish me luck!

  8. Thomas

    Thomas Guest

    "Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi again!
    >
    > Did a bit more of an extensive ride last night (prolly 1.5-2 miles) and found it relatively easy
    > when compared to Sundays disaster. I did 2 things different:
    >
    > 1. Didnt have a hangover
    > 2. took it a bit easier
    >
    > I managed to get up the 1st hill without too many problems (wasnt easy but made it without
    > stopping)!! Tonight I plan to do a bit of the commute
    ride
    > and see how i get on!
    >
    > Wish me luck!

    Well done!

    I'm a lithe 21-year-old who hasn't done any regular excercise in about five years.

    I'm now cycling the ten miles to and from work every day - most delightful in the mornings, turn up
    sweating like a pee eye gee.

    However, it's damned addictive and (for a geek like me - you milage may vary) a really excuse to get
    out on a Saturday morning.

    Hope it continues to go well for you, Thomas.

  9. [email protected] schreef ...

    > Are they cordless devices these trip computers? Or are they them old magnetic things on the spokes
    > that pulses the sensor on the forks every revolution?

    Ahem..... *both* models have a magnetic thing on the spoke that pulses the sensor. The difference is
    that the cordless devices replace the wire with a "radio" signal.

    In my opinion the cordless ones have mostly disadvantages:
    - you need two batteries
    - they are prone to disturbances from high-voltage lines
    - they are prone to disturbances from other cyclists using the same make
    - they are far more expensive than wired ones.

    --
    Regards, Marten

  10. In message <[email protected]>, Marten Hoffmann
    <[email protected]> writes
    >[email protected] schreef ...
    >
    >> Are they cordless devices these trip computers? Or are they them old magnetic things on the
    >> spokes that pulses the sensor on the forks every revolution?
    >
    >Ahem..... *both* models have a magnetic thing on the spoke that pulses the sensor. The difference
    >is that the cordless devices replace the wire with a "radio" signal.
    >
    >In my opinion the cordless ones have mostly disadvantages:
    >- you need two batteries
    >- they are prone to disturbances from high-voltage lines
    >- they are prone to disturbances from other cyclists using the same make
    >- they are far more expensive than wired ones.

    - they look ugly.
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  11. Michael MacClancy wrote:
    > Marten Hoffmann writes
    >> [email protected] schreef ...
    >>
    >>> Are they cordless devices these trip computers? Or are they them old magnetic things on the
    >>> spokes that pulses the sensor on the forks every revolution?
    >>
    >> Ahem..... *both* models have a magnetic thing on the spoke that pulses the sensor. The difference
    >> is that the cordless devices replace the wire with a "radio" signal.
    >>
    >> In my opinion the cordless ones have mostly disadvantages:
    >> - you need two batteries
    >> - they are prone to disturbances from high-voltage lines
    >> - they are prone to disturbances from other cyclists using the same make
    >> - they are far more expensive than wired ones.
    >>
    > - they look ugly.

    - and they rarely have sufficient range to meet the needs of us on the Dark Side.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  12. Lee

    Lee Guest

  13. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Lee <$*$*$*remove*$*$*[email protected]> wrote:

    > Dark side?

    Don't go there!

    Inquiry leads to knowledge, knowledge leads to lust, lust leads to need, need leads to purchase,
    purchase leads to bankruptcy.

    The force is yet strong in you little one, learn to commute ( 6 miles), before you succumb the the
    dark side.

    --
    Marc Stickers,decals,membership,cards, T shirts, signs etc for clubs and associations of all types.
    http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

  14. Ian

    Ian Guest

    marc must be edykated coz e writed:

    > Lee <$*$*$*remove*$*$*[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Dark side?
    >
    > Don't go there!
    >
    > Inquiry leads to knowledge, knowledge leads to lust, lust leads to need, need leads to purchase,
    > purchase leads to bankruptcy.
    >

    > The force is yet strong in you little one, learn to commute ( 6 miles), before you succumb the the
    > dark side.

    Do not listen, succumb to the dark side, we will welcome you.

    Darth Buck

  15. Lee

    Lee Guest

    "Ian" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BB4D778E.AF56%[email protected]...
    > marc must be edykated coz e writed:
    >
    > > Lee <$*$*$*remove*$*$*[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Dark side?
    > >
    > > Don't go there!
    > >
    > > Inquiry leads to knowledge, knowledge leads to lust, lust leads to need, need leads to purchase,
    > > purchase leads to bankruptcy.
    > >

    > > The force is yet strong in you little one, learn to commute ( 6 miles), before you succumb the
    > > the dark side.
    > >
    > Do not listen, succumb to the dark side, we will welcome you.
    >
    > Darth Buck

    What is this dark side for I am tempted

  16. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Ian <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >> Dark side?
    > >
    > > Don't go there!
    > >
    > > Inquiry leads to knowledge, knowledge leads to lust, lust leads to need, need leads to purchase,
    > > purchase leads to bankruptcy.
    > >

    > > The force is yet strong in you little one, learn to commute ( 6 miles), before you succumb the
    > > the dark side.
    > >
    > Do not listen, succumb to the dark side, we will welcome you.

    I would love to, I even know what I want ( carbon faired windcheeter) without riding one, now
    persaude the wife! :-(

    --

  17. Lee wrote:

    > What is this dark side for I am tempted

    Click the link in the signature below, young Skywalker, and you will be transported, as if by
    legerdemain, to a bunch of Webby neurons which will tell much about the Dark Side.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  18. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    > Click the link in the signature below, young Skywalker, and you will be transported, as if by
    > legerdemain, to a bunch of Webby neurons which will tell much about the Dark Side.

    Do not do it -- on the Dark Side lies damnation, hell fire and comfy chairs.

  19. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Tony W <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > Click the link in the signature below, young Skywalker, and you will be transported, as if by
    > > legerdemain, to a bunch of Webby neurons which will tell much about the Dark Side.
    >
    > Do not do it -- on the Dark Side lies damnation, hell fire and comfy chairs.

    and speed! :)