Progress Report - Unfit person decides to commute 6 miles to work!

Lee

Guest
Hi again!

Did a bit more of an extensive ride last night (prolly 1.5-2 miles) and found it relatively easy
when compared to Sundays disaster. I did 2 things different:

1. Didnt have a hangover
2. took it a bit easier

I managed to get up the 1st hill without too many problems (wasnt easy but made it without
stopping)!! Tonight I plan to do a bit of the commute ride and see how i get on!

Wish me luck!

Lee wrote:

> Hi again!
>
> Did a bit more of an extensive ride last night (prolly 1.5-2 miles) and found it relatively easy
> when compared to Sundays disaster. I did 2 things different:
>
> 1. Didnt have a hangover
> 2. took it a bit easier
>
> I managed to get up the 1st hill without too many problems (wasnt easy but made it without
> stopping)!! Tonight I plan to do a bit of the commute ride and see how i get on!
>
> Wish me luck!

Well Done. I would strongly advise getting a bike computer, then you can accurately track your
progress - very motivational. At first you'll be looking at how far you managed to go, then 'Max
Speed' will become a challenge, and finally you'll be raving to all and sundry about your
average speed :)

Phil.

"Phil.Winterbourne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Well Done. I would strongly advise getting a bike computer, then you can accurately track your
> progress - very motivational. At first you'll be looking at how far you managed to go, then 'Max
> Speed' will become a challenge, and finally you'll be raving to all and sundry about your average
> speed :)
>
> Phil.

Well, i have bid on ebay for such a device - hope i get it - if not its out to a proper shop i go!

Im beginning to get into this cycling malarky ;-)

Lee <$*$*$*remove*$*$*[email protected]> wrote:

: Well, i have bid on ebay for such a device - hope i get it - if not its out to a proper shop i go!

Keep in mind that you can buy them new from your LBS for 10 quid+. So it'd have to be very cheap on
Ebay (esp since it might be an older model)

Arthur

"Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Lee <$*$*$*remove*$*$*[email protected]> wrote:
>
> : Well, i have bid on ebay for such a device - hope i get it - if not its
out
> : to a proper shop i go!
>
> Keep in mind that you can buy them new from your LBS for 10 quid+. So it'd have to be very cheap
> on Ebay (esp since it might be an older model)
>
> Arthur

It seemed ok - bit £12-13 i think- we shall see!

Lee wrote:
> "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> Lee <$*$*$*remove*$*$*[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Well, i have bid on ebay for such a device - hope i get it - if not its out to a proper
>>> shop i go!
>>
>> Keep in mind that you can buy them new from your LBS for 10 quid+. So it'd have to be very cheap
>> on Ebay (esp since it might be an older model)
>>
>> Arthur
>>

> It seemed ok - bit £12-13 i think- we shall see!

At that price you can get them from most places - Aldi posted here recently for £3.99 and probably
still in your local one.

Are they cordless devices these trip computers? Or are they them old magnetic things on the spokes
that pulses the sensor on the forks every revolution?

"Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi again!
>
> Did a bit more of an extensive ride last night (prolly 1.5-2 miles) and found it relatively easy
> when compared to Sundays disaster. I did 2 things different:
>
> 1. Didnt have a hangover
> 2. took it a bit easier
>
> I managed to get up the 1st hill without too many problems (wasnt easy but made it without
> stopping)!! Tonight I plan to do a bit of the commute
ride
> and see how i get on!
>
> Wish me luck!

"Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi again!
>
> Did a bit more of an extensive ride last night (prolly 1.5-2 miles) and found it relatively easy
> when compared to Sundays disaster. I did 2 things different:
>
> 1. Didnt have a hangover
> 2. took it a bit easier
>
> I managed to get up the 1st hill without too many problems (wasnt easy but made it without
> stopping)!! Tonight I plan to do a bit of the commute
ride
> and see how i get on!
>
> Wish me luck!

Well done!

I'm a lithe 21-year-old who hasn't done any regular excercise in about five years.

I'm now cycling the ten miles to and from work every day - most delightful in the mornings, turn up
sweating like a pee eye gee.

However, it's damned addictive and (for a geek like me - you milage may vary) a really excuse to get
out on a Saturday morning.

Hope it continues to go well for you, Thomas.

[email protected] schreef ...

> Are they cordless devices these trip computers? Or are they them old magnetic things on the spokes
> that pulses the sensor on the forks every revolution?

Ahem..... *both* models have a magnetic thing on the spoke that pulses the sensor. The difference is
that the cordless devices replace the wire with a "radio" signal.

In my opinion the cordless ones have mostly disadvantages:
- you need two batteries
- they are prone to disturbances from high-voltage lines
- they are prone to disturbances from other cyclists using the same make
- they are far more expensive than wired ones.

--
Regards, Marten

In message <[email protected]>, Marten Hoffmann
<[email protected]> writes
>[email protected] schreef ...
>
>> Are they cordless devices these trip computers? Or are they them old magnetic things on the
>> spokes that pulses the sensor on the forks every revolution?
>
>Ahem..... *both* models have a magnetic thing on the spoke that pulses the sensor. The difference
>is that the cordless devices replace the wire with a "radio" signal.
>
>In my opinion the cordless ones have mostly disadvantages:
>- you need two batteries
>- they are prone to disturbances from high-voltage lines
>- they are prone to disturbances from other cyclists using the same make
>- they are far more expensive than wired ones.

- they look ugly.
--
Michael MacClancy

Michael MacClancy wrote:
> Marten Hoffmann writes
>> [email protected] schreef ...
>>
>>> Are they cordless devices these trip computers? Or are they them old magnetic things on the
>>> spokes that pulses the sensor on the forks every revolution?
>>
>> Ahem..... *both* models have a magnetic thing on the spoke that pulses the sensor. The difference
>> is that the cordless devices replace the wire with a "radio" signal.
>>
>> In my opinion the cordless ones have mostly disadvantages:
>> - you need two batteries
>> - they are prone to disturbances from high-voltage lines
>> - they are prone to disturbances from other cyclists using the same make
>> - they are far more expensive than wired ones.
>>
> - they look ugly.

- and they rarely have sufficient range to meet the needs of us on the Dark Side.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Lee <$*$*$*remove*$*$*[email protected]> wrote:

> Dark side?

Don't go there!

Inquiry leads to knowledge, knowledge leads to lust, lust leads to need, need leads to purchase,
purchase leads to bankruptcy.

The force is yet strong in you little one, learn to commute ( 6 miles), before you succumb the the
dark side.

--
Marc Stickers,decals,membership,cards, T shirts, signs etc for clubs and associations of all types.
http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

marc must be edykated coz e writed:

> Lee <$*$*$*remove*$*$*[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Dark side?
>
> Don't go there!
>
> Inquiry leads to knowledge, knowledge leads to lust, lust leads to need, need leads to purchase,
> purchase leads to bankruptcy.
>

> The force is yet strong in you little one, learn to commute ( 6 miles), before you succumb the the
> dark side.

Do not listen, succumb to the dark side, we will welcome you.

Darth Buck

"Ian" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BB4D778E.AF56%[email protected]...
> marc must be edykated coz e writed:
>
> > Lee <$*$*$*remove*$*$*[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> Dark side?
> >
> > Don't go there!
> >
> > Inquiry leads to knowledge, knowledge leads to lust, lust leads to need, need leads to purchase,
> > purchase leads to bankruptcy.
> >

> > The force is yet strong in you little one, learn to commute ( 6 miles), before you succumb the
> > the dark side.
> >
> Do not listen, succumb to the dark side, we will welcome you.
>
> Darth Buck

What is this dark side for I am tempted

Ian <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Dark side?
> >
> > Don't go there!
> >
> > Inquiry leads to knowledge, knowledge leads to lust, lust leads to need, need leads to purchase,
> > purchase leads to bankruptcy.
> >

> > The force is yet strong in you little one, learn to commute ( 6 miles), before you succumb the
> > the dark side.
> >
> Do not listen, succumb to the dark side, we will welcome you.

I would love to, I even know what I want ( carbon faired windcheeter) without riding one, now
persaude the wife! :-(

--

Lee wrote:

> What is this dark side for I am tempted

Click the link in the signature below, young Skywalker, and you will be transported, as if by
legerdemain, to a bunch of Webby neurons which will tell much about the Dark Side.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

> Click the link in the signature below, young Skywalker, and you will be transported, as if by
> legerdemain, to a bunch of Webby neurons which will tell much about the Dark Side.

Do not do it -- on the Dark Side lies damnation, hell fire and comfy chairs.

Tony W <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Click the link in the signature below, young Skywalker, and you will be transported, as if by
> > legerdemain, to a bunch of Webby neurons which will tell much about the Dark Side.
>
> Do not do it -- on the Dark Side lies damnation, hell fire and comfy chairs.

and speed! :)