Progress

Keith Willoughb

Guest
First time I went out on the bike, three weeks ago now, I did 5 miles and must have stopped 8 times.
Today, after two weeks not cycling with a cold/flu I did 16 miles, and stopped 3 times (including 15
minutes at the LBS looking at clipless pedals/shoes).

I did the Taff Trail from Ponty down to my mate's house in Cardiff bay. It's actually pretty good,
especially in Sofia Gardens, where the path is wide and very smooth.

I'm feeling a little pleased with myself, even though I caught the train most of the way back.

--
Keith Willoughby http://flat222.org/keith/ "The future's so dull I've got to sing torch songs"

On 21/2/04 6:28 pm, in article [email protected], "Keith
Willoughby" <[email protected]> wrote:

> First time I went out on the bike, three weeks ago now, I did 5 miles and must have stopped 8
> times. Today, after two weeks not cycling with a cold/flu I did 16 miles, and stopped 3 times
> (including 15 minutes at the LBS looking at clipless pedals/shoes).

Hook, line and sinker.. Soon you'll be wondering how you ever managed to do anything on a bike
costing under 1000 pounds ;-)

But seriously, well done. As the body gets used to it, it will adapt and make it easier. I often
find a rest (enforced or otherwise) is really good at getting things up to the next level.

> I did the Taff Trail from Ponty down to my mate's house in Cardiff bay. It's actually pretty good,
> especially in Sofia Gardens, where the path is wide and very smooth.

Soon you'll be nipping down there and back 'just because'.

> I'm feeling a little pleased with myself, even though I caught the train most of the way back.

And quite right too..

..d

Excellent, Keith! Well done! I hope you continue to enjoy cycling.

Cheers, helen s

fortune h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o**l.c**$*$om$$

Martin Family wrote:

> On 21/2/04 6:28 pm, in article [email protected], "Keith Willoughby"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> First time I went out on the bike, three weeks ago now, I did 5 miles and must have stopped 8
>> times. Today, after two weeks not cycling with a cold/flu I did 16 miles, and stopped 3 times
>> (including 15 minutes at the LBS looking at clipless pedals/shoes).
>
> Hook, line and sinker.. Soon you'll be wondering how you ever managed to do anything on a bike
> costing under 1000 pounds ;-)

Hah!

I'm hoping to stick with what I've got for a while, but I like the idea of the clipless pedals right
now. My foot slipped a couple of times today, and don't want to do myself an injury.

> But seriously, well done.

Cheers!

> As the body gets used to it, it will adapt and make it easier. I often find a rest (enforced or
> otherwise) is really good at getting things up to the next level.

Looks like, yeah. I originally thought I'd just pop down to the LBS (about 4 miles) but found I was
feeling pretty good at that point.

The last mile was a killer, though. Headwind :(

--
Keith Willoughby http://flat222.org/keith/ "There was Riley pushing it, shoving it, shushing it"

> Excellent, Keith! Well done! I hope you continue to enjoy cycling.

Thanks! Looks like I'm a convert so far, anyway.

--
Keith Willoughby http://flat222.org/keith/ "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when
they do it from religious conviction." -- Pascal

Keith Willoughby wrote:
> First time I went out on the bike, three weeks ago now, I did 5 miles and must have stopped 8
> times. Today, after two weeks not cycling with a cold/flu I did 16 miles, and stopped 3 times
> (including 15 minutes at the LBS looking at clipless pedals/shoes).
>
> I did the Taff Trail from Ponty down to my mate's house in Cardiff bay. It's actually pretty good,
> especially in Sofia Gardens, where the path is wide and very smooth.
>
> I'm feeling a little pleased with myself, even though I caught the train most of the way back.

Hey, it wasn't you I saw coming through Taff's Well at about 1 o'clock this afternoon was it?

I was visiting friends there today. Damn. That was a _nasty_ wind.

Simonb (remove unfounded accusation to reply)

Simonb wrote:

> Keith Willoughby wrote:
>> First time I went out on the bike, three weeks ago now, I did 5 miles and must have stopped 8
>> times. Today, after two weeks not cycling with a cold/flu I did 16 miles, and stopped 3 times
>> (including 15 minutes at the LBS looking at clipless pedals/shoes).
>>
>> I did the Taff Trail from Ponty down to my mate's house in Cardiff bay. It's actually pretty
>> good, especially in Sofia Gardens, where the path is wide and very smooth.
>>
>> I'm feeling a little pleased with myself, even though I caught the train most of the way back.
>
> Hey, it wasn't you I saw coming through Taff's Well at about 1 o'clock this afternoon was it?

Could be. I think I passed through a little earlier than that, though. I was the fat bloke in a
turquoise cloth baseball cap.

Keith Willoughby http://flat222.org/keith/ Hello playmates

Keith Willoughby wrote:

> Could be. I think I passed through a little earlier than that, though. I was the fat bloke in a
> turquoise cloth baseball cap.

Turquoise fleece and cream cloth baseball cap, even. Still fat, though.

--
Keith Willoughby http://flat222.org/keith/ "There ought to be limits to freedom"