progressing from square to round rails

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by max_pfeifer, Mar 5, 2006.

  1. max_pfeifer

    max_pfeifer Guest

    I can grind ledges and square park-rails (flat and sloped) pretty
    easily, and am wanting to try a round rail. i have found a pretty low
    one at a skate park near me, but as yet i havent had the guts to try
    it. is this a mind over matter thing like lots of unicycling tricks, or
    are round rails much harder?
    If the latter, does anyone have any tips?

    Cheers,

    Max

    --
    max_pfeifer

    what do you give to the man who has everything? ...Nothing!
    max_pfeifer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7644

  2. swarbrim

    swarbrim Guest

    depending on how high you can jump i say find a 3 set with a handrail
    and just kiss it quick. I almost tried a 5 set witch would have been a
    proper grind but there was sick near the run up...

    Mike

    --
    swarbrim

    :D add me at [email protected]

    "I know how you feel. I live in England, and I was given a raincoat for
    Christmas three years ago, and I still haven't had chance to use it. "
    -- Mike Fule
    swarbrim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11005

  3. onetrack

    onetrack Guest

    max_pfeifer wrote:
    > is this a mind over matter thing like lots of unicycling tricks, or are
    > round rails much harder?

    No, some people find round rails easier. My first rail was a round 4
    step, and I have watched a couple people's frist rails which where
    round.

    My advice is to just go for it. you only have to trick yourself into
    doing it once to see how easy it really is.

    --
    onetrack

    "People over here have a dangerous habit of adding quotes to signature
    lines."
    -Klaas Bil
    onetrack's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6374

  4. swarbrim

    swarbrim Guest

  5. Lucas1wheel

    Lucas1wheel Guest

  6. Jerrick

    Jerrick Guest

    I can't grind yet, but im pretty good with my stalls\grabs.

    I first started doing my crank\pedal grabs on flat object, but then
    when I went to do them on curved surfaces, I thought it would be harder
    cause it is curved but I jumped on it just fine, with no problems.

    So my advice is to just go for it, you may wreck a few times, but when
    have we let a wreck keep us down?

    --
    Jerrick

    What would you do to me if i was passed out on your bed? o.0

  7. max_pfeifer

    max_pfeifer Guest

    swarbrim wrote:
    > depending on how high you can jump i say find a 3 set with a handrail
    > and just kiss it quick. I almost tried a 5 set witch would have been a
    > proper grind but there was sick near the run up...
    >
    > Mike

    the rail i wanna try is low and long (about 50-60cm i think). it is at
    a skate park. do you think i should find a shorter one? even if it
    means going higher (i can hop up a 70cm ledge)?

    Cheers,

    Max

    --
    max_pfeifer

    what do you give to the man who has everything? ...Nothing!
    max_pfeifer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7644

  8. well since you have "balls of steel" as your message under your avatar
    states i reckon you should go for it. :p i can do flat grinds aswell
    but since my uni is out of order :eek: at the moment i dont wanna try
    a round rail anytime soon....

    --
    UniPsychoLiam
    UniPsychoLiam's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11283

  9. maxisback

    maxisback Guest

    Handrial are pretty easy.. all you need is the guts to get on.. as soon
    as your on it it's done.. unless ur trying a humongus one..

    --
    maxisback

    Quiters never win, winners never quit , the ones who never win and never
    quit are just dumb
    maxisback's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10885

  10. swarbrim

    swarbrim Guest

    As max said its just getiin the balls to go for it. I found a 3 set
    handrail and did it (with amanda's "encoragement"). I was lookin at a
    rail very similer at a park but i couldnt go for it. Height should not
    be a problem.

    Mike

    --
    swarbrim

    :D add me at [email protected]

    "I know how you feel. I live in England, and I was given a raincoat for
    Christmas three years ago, and I still haven't had chance to use it. "
    -- Mike Fule
    swarbrim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11005

  11. max_pfeifer

    max_pfeifer Guest

    UniPsychoLiam wrote:
    > well since you have "balls of steel" as your message under your avatar
    > states i reckon you should go for it. :p i can do flat grinds aswell
    > but since my uni is out of order :eek: at the moment i dont wanna try
    > a round rail anytime soon....

    yeah but even steel can bend and break...