Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Progressing Through Drops and Step-Downs

Started by bmstreeter · · Last activity · 2 posts · 39 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
22 September 2026
Last activity
22 September 2026
Original author
bmstreeter
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
39
Views / 30 days
38

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Drops and step-downs are fundamental trail features with real consequence. To handle them sensibly, the focus should be on body position and landing preparation before ever looking for a bigger feature. Mastering the weight transfer and ensuring you aren't just falling off the edge is the only way to maintain control on the landing.

    Progression judgement is about knowing when you can consistently nail the basics at a smaller size before moving up. If you are fighting the bike or landing haphazardly, you haven't mastered that level yet. The goal is to keep the bike level and the momentum moving forward without losing your line.

    What specific markers do you use to decide when a drop size is officially mastered and you are ready to move to something larger?

  2. For me, the biggest marker is the sound and the feel of the landing. If I'm slapping the ground or feeling that jarring hit in my ankles, I'm not ready to go bigger. I know I've got a drop mastered when I can land both wheels almost simultaneously and roll away smooth without the bike bucking me.

    It's a lot easier to feel those mistakes on a hardtail since there's no rear shock to hide a bad landing. Once I can nail that weight shift and keep the momentum moving forward consistently, then I feel good about stepping up. Also, if I can do it without thinking too hard about the pedal position, that's a huge sign of confidence.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.